Camera for Ocean Front property (salt resistant)

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing some cameras on a beachfront home. The salt air corrodes everything pretty quick and want to put in something that will last. Does anyone have suggestions?

I'm thinking Starlight 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy

Or SD22404T-GN 4MP 4x PTZ Network Camera from Andy

Or does anyone have any other suggestions. I like the idea of the dome fully enclosing the camera I just don't know if the clear lense will get fogged and need to be constantly cleaned

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing some cameras on a beachfront home. The salt air corrodes everything pretty quick and want to put in something that will last. Does anyone have suggestions?

I'm thinking Starlight 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC-HDW5231R-Z from Andy

Or does anyone have any other suggestions. I like the idea of the dome fully enclosing the camera I just don't know if the clear lense will get fogged and need to be constantly cleaned
Hi Dasstrum,

imho all cameras will need frequent cleaning in a beach location, domes especially so.

I would also install the PFA130E or PFA121 junction boxes as they are well sealed.

iirc the first to go rust/oxidize will be exposed iron > steel > poor stainless steal > stainless steal

Paint maybe your friend here.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Paging @bababouy

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
You are going to lose the powder coating on the cameras in the first year or two, but that won't affect the camera itself. You will need to wipe the lenses quite often because the salt will stick to anything. Make sure that you check the cameras at night, as this is when a dirty lens will show itself the most. Make sure to use dielectric grease in your rj45 connector. If you mount the cameras to a grey pvc box, make sure to drill a small hole in the bottom for drainage. When you coil your wires up and stuff them into the box, make sure your connection is towards the top of the box. This way, when water puddles in the bottom of the box it will not get into your connections. If you follow these tips, you can use any camera you want in a salty location. I live in Key Largo and have customers all over Florida, so If there is something that I have experience with, it's the power of wind, salt, salt water, rain, etc.. @looney2ns

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The customer... like everyone... is a penny puncher and wants good stuff but doesn't want to spend a fortune on everything. Trying to convince him to spend $300 extra per camera for stainless isn't going to happen