Camera on great horned owl nest

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't sound horribly stupid but I noticed google play has a clinometer app. Would that work for my phone?
I have looked at the extension for the dahua camera and it would no doubt become a perch for every nesting bird in my yard. Meaning it would be covered with white wash quickly unfortunately. So far I have been pleasantly surprised that the stench from the carrion hasn't been bad. And I haven't found any owl pellets laying around either.

Terri
That would work, but it may be a little harder to use and there's a risk of dropping your phone. Using an old phone would be a more sensible choice. If you try to use the app, hold the phone so the screen is vertical and use the long edge to sight the camera. The without moving it, you'd need to move your head and look at the screen. You may have to subtract the number it gives from 90 depending on how the angles are referenced (in other words, if it gives you and angle > 40 and less than 90, subtract it from 90). I've used one of these apps before.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I donate my old phones to the elderly. I have an android, I bet you have an iphone since you are big on security ;) My husband has an iphone through his work. Is there an app you suggest? I'm sure the paid apps would be better right? I've only paid for one app and that's ibirdpro. Let me know if you have a preference and I'll buy/get it. And if you have any suggestions for me to try to get my cameras back on line I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks for your time, again..
Terri

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Terri,
Regarding the problem with birds perching on the mount, perhaps you could put bird spikes on the top horizontal surface of the the mount(~8"), Bird Spikes are available at Amazon. If the camera can be moved out from under the eave up high, you may also get a view down by the other feeders depending on roof lines. You may be able to just attach the supplied mount to the facia V at the roof line. It would depend on the structure. Or look at using the curving Dahua mount with bird spikes.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Jack,
I am considering attaching the camera to the facia V. I ordered bird spikes, they will be here tomorrow. I'm still waiting on my girlfriend to arrive and help with my camera issue.
Thanks again for your advice, it is appreciated!
Terri

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well rats I was removing the the silica shipping bags from around the camera lens and one broke open. Now there are silica balls around the lens. How do I get those things out? Thank you for your help in advance.

Attachments

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My girlfriend ran out of time and couldn't figure it out.. She was able to figure out how to get my cameras back online. Apparently Cox had somehow wiped out the address. I didn't think we would ever get the four screws out of the camera to put the sd card in. My husband ended up making a run to Lowes to get a new screwdriver because he was afraid our screwdrivers were going to strip out the screw heads. My friend will come back tomorrow and work on it again if someone here can tell her what to do.I'm going to do a copy and paste what she is needing help with:

Installed Config Tool (downloaded from Dahua because my camera didn't come with a Config Tool disk) and was able to locate camera. It uses IP 198.168.1.108. I initialized the camera using the Config Tool and then tried to modify the IP using both the green pencil icon and the Modify IP button within the Config Tool. The IP address is not changed by any of the attempts to modify it; although the Modify IP settings remain inside that panel.
I need to change the IP to match my network: 198.168.0.xxx and want to use a static IP address. How can I get the Config Tool software to actually modify the IP?

thanks in advance for your help!
Terri

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why were you removing them? They are meant to stay in the cam permanently to help control lens fogging.
I sure wish there had been something in there explaining that. They looked like they were in there to keep it from rattling around during shipping. Now what do I do? I was afraid they would keep the lens from turning. I feel so stupid. I don't think this camera was meant for someone like me with little knowledge about IP cameras :( It has to be uphill from here. I feel like I am at the bottom of the bucket. How can I get them out?
Terri

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My girlfriend ran out of time and couldn't figure it out.. She was able to figure out how to get my cameras back online. Apparently Cox had somehow wiped out the address. I didn't think we would ever get the four screws out of the camera to put the sd card in. My husband ended up making a run to Lowes to get a new screwdriver because he was afraid our screwdrivers were going to strip out the screw heads. My friend will come back tomorrow and work on it again if someone here can tell her what to do.I'm going to do a copy and paste what she is needing help with:

Installed Config Tool (downloaded from Dahua because my camera didn't come with a Config Tool disk) and was able to locate camera. It uses IP 198.168.1.108. I initialized the camera using the Config Tool and then tried to modify the IP using both the green pencil icon and the Modify IP button within the Config Tool. The IP address is not changed by any of the attempts to modify it; although the Modify IP settings remain inside that panel.
I need to change the IP to match my network: 198.168.0.xxx and want to use a static IP address. How can I get the Config Tool software to actually modify the IP?

thanks in advance for your help!
Terri
Upper right corner of the configtool screen, click the little camera icon and read the help file. You need to enter the cams password in configtool. Read help.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I sure wish there had been something in there explaining that. They looked like they were in there to keep it from rattling around during shipping. Now what do I do? I was afraid they would keep the lens from turning. I feel so stupid. I don't think this camera was meant for someone like me with little knowledge about IP cameras :( It has to be uphill from here. I feel like I am at the bottom of the bucket. How can I get them out?
Terri
Tip the camera up and see if they will fall out of the door.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Amazon's review system is so broken it's practically useless. So many fake reviews. There are a lot of truly awful security cameras on amazon with lots of fake positive reviews.

Is every Dahua product great? Absolutely not, there's a wide range. Are they all better than the e-waste companies like SV3C are selling? Yes.
A significant portion of negative reviews for Dahua's products on amazon are the result of two things: lower quality dirt cheap cameras intended for the Chinese marked that have been hacked to English and user error. Selling directly to idiot users is not their primary market, they serve as the oem for other companies that want to support idiot users.

The Dahua cameras recommended here are international models, not china region models.
Watch more at bad reivew, 90% of them are real. But good review for some cheap cams 50% are fake.;)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Terri
Do like this.
change your network ip address to 192.168.1.xxx firstly before you make configtool, for example you are at 192.168.0.xxx, now change it into 192.168.1.xxx,
and then use the configtool to change the camera's IP address into 192.168.0.xxx, or else you never can make the config.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. My girlfriend has not had time to come back over yet. I'm afraid to mess with it since I know nothing about it and don't want to mess up my network. Here is what she said when I pasted andy's info in an email to her:

I’ve not changed the IP address of my LAN before. I see in my router where the IP is set – and where I guess I can change it from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1.

Once I make the change to the LAN IP address in my router, I’m assuming all the other devices on my LAN will no longer be connected? So, I then have the camera on the same network? And I can then change the camera’s IP address?

To change the LAN back, do I just go to 192.168.1.1 to log into the router? I hesitate because I don’t want to mess up my LAN and not be able to restore it.

thank you in advance for your time.
Terri

Last edited:

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My friend came back over again today and she still can't do what needs to be done. She brought over her own laptop and router and hooked my dahua camera up and couldn't get it to work. Here is a copy and paste of what she needs help with. We need help please. Thanks in advance, Terri
Here's her question :
I put the camera, one laptop and a router on their own LAN using 192.168.1.xxx and found the camera easily. Still cannot Modify IP address and am finding that the password the camera was set up with is not working. So perhaps a password typo when it was set up? What can be done? Will a reset on the camera (using the reset button on the camera) restore it to factory defaults and allow for a new password?

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've used this clinometer app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer
but I'd hate to see you drop your phone trying to do this. Some of the actual physical clinometers are pretty cheap.
That is the one I downloaded. It is pretty cool! I appreciate all your help you have given me.
Until my friend can get past this password issue I don't see my camera ever getting installed. I feel helpless because I can't help her. I was up until 3am reading about how others got past this. I copy and pasted what I found and emailed it to her. My owlet will probably fledge before I get it installed. I'm about ready to just take it at a loss for lesson learned. I know there are a lot of guys here that are pretty happy about that.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you reset the camera it will go back to 192.168.1.108 with username / password of admin / admin. It will force you to change the password the first time you log in.

Terri Underhill

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you reset the camera it will go back to 192.168.1.108 with username / password of admin / admin. It will force you to change the password the first time you log in.
I hope that is the answer that will help her. I'll let her know. Thank you! Have a happy Easter.
Terri
PS I thought I reset the camera when she was here but I think I read somewhere this morning that I have to hold the reset button for 30 seconds.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm about ready to just take it at a loss for lesson learned. I know there are a lot of guys here that are pretty happy about that.
It shouldn't be that hard to get it working. It's unfortunate you tried to remove the desiccant packs from the camera. I'd been thinking you'd have been better off with a cheap refurbished PC and Blue Iris than trying to put a micro sd card in the camera.

I don't think anyone wishes you any ill will. It's always hard to guess what sort of knowledge and experience someone has when they post here. All we know for sure is that they were savvy enough to find there way here. A lot of people have a passing understanding of some networking concepts and don't need that much direction, other don't. If you know that you are really struggling to understand some of the advice being given, make that clear and tell people a little about yourself so they can attempt to communicate the information more effectively. Otherwise it can come across as not listening to the advice people are giving you.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can get camera powered on and connected to the rest of your network via a wired connection, it should be fairly easy for someone here to help you remotely using Home - TeamViewer