Camera placement advice/feedback

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Roger that on blue iris. I suppose I could probably pawn off the Swanns onto some friends, but based on some of your (?) comments over on slick deals i thought I'd go for some 4k/8MP cams for places where I know I'd have available light (like the garage entry ways, front door and rear entry). I know the 2MP Varifocal Starlights are super popular here, but is there a Dahua rough equivalent from Andy to the Swanns I grabbed that also doesn't break the bank? I've got no need for 8MP starlight varifocals as I think I remember seeing them as being very $$$ and would just want high MP with good well-lit performance along with acceptable night performance (assuming I'll leave IR off and provide lighting from my existing house lights)

I have a variety of Hikvision/OEM cubes inside the house already running with Blue Iris, but as my exterior plan takes shape, I'm beginning to wonder BI will start to choke on 6 2MP cubes + what looks to be 3 or 4 8MP + 4or 5 2MP turrets on the outside. I was thinking if I should just run split systems for interior/exterior. And if I should/do go that route, leave BI running the inside cameras and possibly just go with a Dahua/Dahua rebadge NVR for the external ones and just stay with Dahua guts for the external cameras
HI Boxerfan,

The similar 8MP model from Dahua OEM international would be
IPC-HDW48xx

Andy should have something along those lines or should be able to get one.

The Swanns should be very good cameras - and I think a nice mix of 2MP starlights and a couple 8MP cameras covering daytime threats is useful.

boxerfan

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Boxerfan,

The similar 8MP model from Dahua OEM international would be
IPC-HDW48xx

Andy should have something along those lines or should be able to get one.

The Swanns should be very good cameras - and I think a nice mix of 2MP starlights and a couple 8MP cameras covering daytime threats is useful.
Do the 8MP Dahua's get much love around here? I know between the Lorex, Q-See and Amcrest deals the bullets are getting out, not so sure about the turrets.

I scrolled through the first few pages and even searched and wasn't seeing a whole lot on the 8MP cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do the 8MP Dahua's get much love around here? I know between the Lorex, Q-See and Amcrest deals the bullets are getting out, not so sure about the turrets.

I scrolled through the first few pages and even searched and wasn't seeing a whole lot on the 8MP cameras.
Hi Boxerfan,

The 2MP Dahua OEM starlights are the preferred ones for most people as a lot of threats in low light conditions ( at night ), and they work still fairly well during the daytime - perhaps not as good res as the 8MP cameras - but if you have to pick only one the starlights are preferred.

I like the idea of having a couple of 8MP added to the mix to cover the front of the house for package thieves and the like

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@boxerfan
Stick with BI even if you need to replace the PC to handle the additional cams.
The Varifocals are just flat hard to beat when positioning fov.
Sell the swanns here or on Ebay if you decide to not use them.

I did the same as @Fastb, some of my cams in the beginning were on the test rig for a week or more in the same basic spot.

@PapaBill
In the right situations, a cam like that would work well. The only drawback to a fisheye is if your goal is to ID someone, it's limited. Dahua shows it at 20ft.
My local supper market has cams like this hung all over the store at about 8ft off the floor, watching for shop lifters.

boxerfan

n3wb
Reaction score
@boxerfan
Stick with BI even if you need to replace the PC to handle the additional cams.
The Varifocals are just flat hard to beat when positioning fov.
Sell the swanns here or on Ebay if you decide to not use them.

I did the same as @Fastb, some of my cams in the beginning were on the test rig for a week or more in the same basic spot.
thanks for the advice @looney2ns . I have an i7 6700 running currently. As I expand, is there an upper limit of # of cams/MP where BI will end up choking. Hopefully I'll be ok as I'm not sure a 7700/8700 ends up giving me that significant of a boost

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the advice @looney2ns . I have an i7 6700 running currently. As I expand, is there an upper limit of # of cams/MP where BI will end up choking. Hopefully I'll be ok as I'm not sure a 7700/8700 ends up giving me that significant of a boost
You should be fine, be sure to read the the Wiki about choosing HW for BI.