Camera Placement Advice

Reaction score
Another appeal for camera placement advice. :)

I am a noob but have 8 Dahua HDW5231R-ZE that I'd like to mount in the best places.

Do you have better placement ideas or advice?

Here's a crude MS Paint drawing of my best plan:

Camera Placement4.png

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Check out the tool on this page: IPVM Camera Calculator V3
First put in the address, then zoom in and start adding cameras. Free usage allows 4 cameras if I remember correctly...but you'll get what you need by moving them around.
With those cameras, you're biggest concern will be mounting so that IR does not bounce off walls and/or eaves. Simply rotate away from walls and point down for eaves to avoid IR reflection back into the lens. You may find you need to add a junction box to drop the cam further from an eave or extend the cam away from a wall. Also may help to use the camera in corridor mode if it suits your situation. Good luck!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Where is the front door ?
Where is the garage ?

The purpose of a security camera is to see what happened and who did it. It is recommended that cameras be mounted no higher than 8 ft to attempt to get a clear view of the face. Before permanently mounting camera, use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

In the front of my house I have two cameras covering the front door, so I can see 100 % for the stoop for package delivery. I also try to have each camera in another cameras view. So if someone tries the disable the camera I have video of the action (this is not likely to happen in my neighborhood ). I have two cameras on the garage one on each side. I do not park in the driveway, but guests do. I have little to no street or sidewalk coverage.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Know where your dryer vent exhaust is so you can avoid triggers when it's cold outside. If you have a heat pump then your compressor will also cause triggers. Great advice by Southern Yankee for temp placement for testing.

Reaction score
I saw your MacGyver creation while waiting for my cameras to show up SouthernYankee. Great tool! Not sure if my
coverage is adequate to identify someone disabling a camera. The left side is 45+ feet between cameras.

Front door is at the top & back door is at the bottom of the image. The garage is 20 feet from the house immediately
below the bottom green line. I'll be getting a few more cameras for the garage. (While putting in underground electric for it,
I plan to bury 4 cat5 cables running back to the house & dvr.)

I also saw the IPVM camera calculator beepsilver. The 4 camera limit caused me to use MS Paint for the image posted.
I'd also read here about keeping the cameras below 8 feet. (Mine are planned to be at 7 feet.) Thank you for that link
and your thoughts in any case. I had forgotten to consider IR bounce!

No heat pump beepsilver but I would not have considered the dryer vent exhaust! (Also the furnace vent through the
side wall.) Thanks