Camera Placement and Selection Help

Reaction score
We are doing a pretty big renovation at our house such that actual pictures of the house would be unhelpful, so I've attached drawings of the general layout of the house and the elevations of the house once we are done. I assume waiting until the renovations are done and I can take pictures would be better, but I'm trying to weigh that against the fact that the ethernet cables can be run easier now for planning.

Original plans call for 8 cameras because I was working under the assumption that "most" camera sets came in a multiple where 8 would be a reasonable number to have. I plan to run the cables, set up my own PC, and run Blue Iris, and -- as I delved deeper -- I realized that it's more of a "buy one-two cameras at a time" type of game, so if this placement of 8 either seems excessive or missing some, the number can change.

My current plan is for some manner of LaView POE cameras during the 25% off sale this weekend. If there is a reasonably good option for a "kit" that includes and NVR or something, please feel free to make suggestions, but right now I'm thinking 4K UltraHD 8.3MP Bullet Matrix IR Outdoor PoE IP Camera,4mm, h.265, IP67, 2-pack (x4) is what I'll be doing.

I've opted for no cameras inside the house (except for the "porch") intentionally.

On the layout of the house, the red dots are where I'm thinking of placing cameras (the green line is where the door/stairs to the porch are located. This is a weird triangular sort of lot where two streets meet in a sort of "upside down Y" -- where the "N" arrow is drawn is a tall, modern house that is across the street from the southern-most point of a park. The neighbor to the south/east has a less tall, original house. Both houses are very close to the property lines. (house is in the city, as it were).

The entirety of the house is going to be two stories EXCEPT for (1) the side porch, (2) the back mud room, and then (3) the "covered ramp" area that goes out of the mud room in back.

The measurements for the heights are on the elevations, but are not easy to read. It's essentially about 3' stone foundation; then about 8' to the middle; then about another 8' to the soffits for the roof. So cameras set in the "roofs" that are available would either be at about 12 feet high (from the ground) if set in the stuff like the porch/mudroom roofs, or 20 feet high if up in the roof area for the whole house.

I do have motion floods planned for the exterior.

Goals: I'd like to be able to identify faces for the most part and maybe use 1-2 cameras for license plate ID (will state the hoped-for purpose near each camera). If my stated goal anywhere is illogical or off, please do point that out.

My reasoning for where I have the cameras now starting with the porch and going clockwise:
1. In porch - set in the roof of the porch, aimed to hopefully ID faces for people approaching the porch;
2. N/W corner of house - I'd like this to be up high in the soffits even, but I think that would be too high, so some recs on height - I'd like this camera to be a "license plate" camera.
3. Middle of N/W side of house - I'd like this to catch the face of anyone messing with the cars (no garage). Again, ideally, I'd like to have the camera up high, but I think that'd be too far.
4. Nook over on the N side. Pretty much 100% of our coming and going is going to be via the driveway, so I'd like to have that as another shot at seeing the face of anyone back there.
5. On ramp - set in the roof of the ramp, aimed to hopefully ID faces coming into the house from that direction.
6. Nook by the S/E side outside the porch - I'd like this one to be just more general coverage for that side of the house. Again, I'd like it up high, but I want it to ID faces, and it seems to me that 20' is too high.
7. inside porch - in the ceiling of the porch, aimed to ID faces entering the house that way.
8. Exterior porch in front - basically same as the N/W corner of the house camera, it will only be able to be installed at the 12' roof height, though, so I think that may be able to work as a license plate camera.

Sorry for the length, I tried to put as much detail as I have, hopefully you all will have some tough love for me, as I was promised!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We are doing a pretty big renovation at our house such that actual pictures of the house would be unhelpful, ..

Sorry for the length, I tried to put as much detail as I have, hopefully you all will have some tough love for me, as I was promised!
Welcome @corporateclaw

During renovation is a very good opportunity to run cables.

Sounds like you will need to move quickly.

Over cable.. see the cliff notes. N+1+ to each location. Remember also ethernet drops in the home for other connected devices... ( see the smart home cabling youtube video I've posted numerous times.. )

Hurry to determine positions - often builders and even installers do not mount cameras in the best locations.

Get a test camera and look for examples of the test rig and start testing it out.

Reaction score
Welcome @corporateclaw

During renovation is a very good opportunity to run cables.

Sounds like you will need to move quickly.

Over cable.. see the cliff notes. N+1+ to each location. Remember also ethernet drops in the home for other connected devices... ( see the smart home cabling youtube video I've posted numerous times.. )

Hurry to determine positions - often builders and even installers do not mount cameras in the best locations.

Get a test camera and look for examples of the test rig and start testing it out.
Thank you! I've been going through the cliffs notes, that's how I kind of ended up where I'm at. Thanks for reminding me about 2x cable pulls, though. Obviously, if I was doing it myself, that would be a definite no-brainer, but I do want to double-check their cost for the cable.

Thanks!

PedroAsani

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that you need to work out where your blind spots are with the proposed placement. If you want 360 degree coverage you are going to need to more cameras just because of the shape of the property.