Camera / placement help

mtp

n3wb
Reaction score
New member after lurking for a while - got a little problem corner of my property and I can’t figure out the best solution.

got a Hikvision Acusense setup with clearvue cameras around the rest of the property but I’ve got a black spot at doors to the rear of my property.

Have a camera looking down from the top right of the picture but as the patio door comes out from the building you can’t see either doors.

Was thinking about some kind of wide angle camera where I’ve put the red dot in the picture but from what I read that’s generally frowned upon?

can I do this with 1 camera (for facial recognition etc) or am I going to need 2?

thanks for any help

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're thinking of putting a camera where that little red dot is located, you're mounting too high. I'd use a wedge, or small dome, mounted at about six feet off the ground on the long wall and close into the corner. I know domes aren't the best solution, but a bullet or turret would stick out too far for a location like that. Check the Cliff Notes in the WiKi for a model, Dahua has one and I'm sure Hik has an equivalent but I'm not familiar with the Hikvision line of cameras.

mtp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks - I’m trying to get a camera that would allow me to identify someone coming up the path or at either of the two doors (the patio door is out from the building so mounting in the corner is what I was trying to avoid.

are there decent cameras out there with 120 degree fov?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The field of view is determined by two, primary, factors. Sensor size and focal length. The higher the focal length the more narrow the FOV. In a corner like that, for ID purposes, a 3.6mm or shorter, would work unless you're after ID out further.

Reactions: mtp

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
if the red dot is an easy place to install, go for it. i'd try a 4mm turret there.

but yeah, in general, a bit lower will get better faces, and two cams will always give you a better chance of getting a clear identifying shot, so maybe somehing like this:
49648871296_aeedec3d8a_h.jpg

mtp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @pozzello - i'll have a look tomorrow and see if i can get cables run to those 2 points.

Where the red dot was is relatively easy for me to work with as i can go under those tiles pretty easy.

Just been looking at a Hikvision Fish eye camera that seems to let you pull multiple feeds from it for different angles - are things like this generally poor quality?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
those are generally used on the ceiling in the middle of a room, not on vertical walls...

mtp

n3wb
Reaction score
Two cams are still the better option.
Thanks.

its really simple for me to cable to that one location with the red dot in the picture - the second location is a bit of a nightmare but could be done.
If anything the cameras I’ve used for this project are so good that I’m thinking I’d be annoyed if the back doors weren’t covered by the same type of cam (so the 2 camera option is where my head is at just now)

Tom S

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Single Cam idea.jpeg

So if only one cam is what you wanted for what ever reason seems like a cam with a 90 deg field of view does not too bad at the red position but you miss someone right at the door leading to the laundry but have the approach. At the green position you have better on the laundry but loose some on the patio door. I agree with the others that two cams is best but budget, appearance and wire routing factor into all of this.