Camera recommendations - indoor

clix

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm going to setup some cameras inside for keeping an eye on kids primarily and was curious if a $50-60 Dahua camera is a decent option for this use. I will be viewing from my computer and android devices and eventually will setup BlueIris. I need audio and think I want the widest viewing angle possible to get as much coverage, detail isn't a major concern for me.

I've been reading reviews on here and see that the Starlight Varifocal models are great, but it seems that I could get by with something much less expensive given my use. If I'm mounting in the corner on the ceiling in rooms and want as wide of a viewing angle as possible and don't need to be able to make out a lot of detail at night is a cheaper Dahua a good place to start instead of the more feature packed cameras?

I'm looking at the two cameras below and don't understand why one is dramatically more expensive than the other. I see differences in specifications but don't appreciate why those features would result in a ~50% increase in price. For my current uses, is the cheaper camera a good option? If the $90 camera is really what I should be getting, then I think spending a bit more for a Varifocal makes sense.

IPC-HDW1220S Dahua IP Dome Camera 2MP 3.6MM Full HD 1080P Network Small IR Eyeball POE
IPC-HDW4231M-S2 Dahua CCTV IP Camera 3.6MM LENS 2MP IR Eyeball Network Camera IP67 With POE

Thanks in advance for any responses.

clix

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I've been looking and reading more and am thinking that the following cameras will be sufficient for my purposes and an upgrade from the Foscams I currently have:

IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS Aliexpress.com : Buy IP CAMERA SET IPC HDBW4431R ZS , free shipping from Reliable ip camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
IPC-HDBW4431R-AS Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua IP Camera DH IPC HDBW4431R AS 4MP H.265 Vandal Dome Network IR H.265 Support POE IPC HDBW4431R AS from Reliable 4mp h.265 suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

These seem to have everything I want, but am hoping that someone with more experience will chime in to let me know if I'm making a mistake. Factors for choosing these include:
  • Indoor only (dome seems fine for this use)
  • Embedded microphone
  • POE
  • Decent build and image quality
  • 3.6mm lens work reasonably well because I don't need to be able to identify people and the cameras will be mounted on ceiling, in corner of each room
I cannot find these exact models on Dahua's website. My understanding is that Andy only sells english models, so I shouldn't be concerned on that front, is that correct? While I have found similar product numbers on Dahua's website that indicate those models have audio, is there a way to confirm that these models do?

Finally, do the added features in the -AS model require a Dahua NVR? I will eventually setup BlueIris, but the time being will be accessing the cameras direct from my phone or pc and will probably not buy a NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I've been looking and reading more and am thinking that the following cameras will be sufficient for my purposes and an upgrade from the Foscams I currently have:

IPC-HDBW4431R-ZS Aliexpress.com : Buy IP CAMERA SET IPC HDBW4431R ZS , free shipping from Reliable ip camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd
IPC-HDBW4431R-AS Aliexpress.com : Buy Dahua IP Camera DH IPC HDBW4431R AS 4MP H.265 Vandal Dome Network IR H.265 Support POE IPC HDBW4431R AS from Reliable 4mp h.265 suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

These seem to have everything I want, but am hoping that someone with more experience will chime in to let me know if I'm making a mistake. Factors for choosing these include:
  • Indoor only (dome seems fine for this use)
  • Embedded microphone
  • POE
  • Decent build and image quality
  • 3.6mm lens work reasonably well because I don't need to be able to identify people and the cameras will be mounted on ceiling, in corner of each room
I cannot find these exact models on Dahua's website. My understanding is that Andy only sells english models, so I shouldn't be concerned on that front, is that correct? While I have found similar product numbers on Dahua's website that indicate those models have audio, is there a way to confirm that these models do?

Finally, do the added features in the -AS model require a Dahua NVR? I will eventually setup BlueIris, but the time being will be accessing the cameras direct from my phone or pc and will probably not buy a NVR.
none of those cameras have built in mic...

clix

n3wb
Reaction score
none of those cameras have built in mic...
Is there an easy way for me to tell that from the specs or is the absence of reference to audio in the specs on the Aliexpress how you can tell?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way for me to tell that from the specs or is the absence of reference to audio in the specs on the Aliexpress how you can tell?
None of dahua Large domes have built-in mics... They have audio in and out.... Some of the turrets have built-in mics... Check the specs on the mini domes I think some of those have mics

clix

n3wb
Reaction score
None of dahua Large domes have built-in mics... They have audio in and out.... Some of the turrets have built-in mics... Check the specs on the mini domes I think some of those have mics
Got it, thank you! I shot Andy an email to see if he can sort through my specs to give me the best, inexpensive option for my needs.

clix

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. For the price, I will probably try out the HIK clone to see how it works out. Based on the thread referenced, it seems like a good option.

With cloned units like this, will I only be able to use anke firmware? Don't know if that matters or not. I don't plan to buy a vendor specific NVR either.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. For the price, I will probably try out the HIK clone to see how it works out. Based on the thread referenced, it seems like a good option.

With cloned units like this, will I only be able to use anke firmware? Don't know if that matters or not. I don't plan to buy a vendor specific NVR either.
The firmware it comes with this just fine there's no need to update it..