Camera recommendations

Erikg

n3wb
Reaction score
Long time reader finally ready to purchase.

I would like to start with 3 cameras and can not decide on what to get. There is a street light across the street and the area has decent lighting. Cameras will be located above 3 car garage and each front corner of the house. Night time face id and license plate capture are most important.

The new 4k dual (the one that needs a bra) camera that was recently reviewed might be nice over the 3 car garage. We get a lot of door checkers around 1am.

The 2 corner cameras 75ft to 125ft. The 5231 I think the number is looks nice but there are several varieties and not sure which one would work best for what I am trying to accomplish.

I plan to install blue iris on a dedicated PC and whatever other software would be needed if any. Still lots to read but wanted to get the cameras ordered meanwhile.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please read up on LPR (license plate reader) section in the forum. It is normally recommend that a special separate camera be set up for LPR.

I would use two cameras for the garage, mount on the left and right of the garage door pointed straight down the driveway. Mount the cameras no higher than the top if the door. For face ID cameras mounter no higher than the 8 ft.

I would mount a camera near the front door, to cover the package drop area and get good face Id of who comes to the door.

The two comer camera are good for what happens but not good for who did it.

Use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
Have friend in a hoodie, ball cap, and sunglasses approach the house and cars, can you easily identify him.

I like the IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Erikg

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations. The reviews seems good and bad on the 5442 being budget minded I was leaning to the 5231 if not only because its proven to be a good camera over quite some time now and night image is most important.

I could do 1 camera on the side they always enter from for now and then add the second at a later date or only do the one LPR and 2 garage for now. I have a ring now and it captures the goofballs actually parking in front of my house but it's too blurry to make out anything other than the car.

After reading the LPR section (thank you for the suggestion) it looks like the LPR at night may not also work for identification.

I am thinking of getting the 5442 and a 5231 for the garage and a 5231 12 or z ( zoom lens) for LPR from the corner of the house.

If I go with one LPR is it best to have it pointed towards the street light or if I mount it on the other corner of the house as the cars pass by the street light would light the plate better but would be from a further distance to get the right angle. Closer to 150ft from the camera location.