camera recommondation

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
looking to add a few cameras to my existing blue iris system. Currently running a mix of Lorex 4k/hikvision 2k cameras.

trying to stay within the $200-$300/camera range.
other than the obvious (good camera, good low light performance)
Looking for-
* 4k (Cameras scanning over large acreage, need good digital zoom ability)
* H.265 support for whenver blue iris gets around to adding it
* sound preferably (though not mandatory)
* poe
* microsd

I've had good experience with the lorex -- great pic, great low light capability, poe, h.265, and audio ability, but no micro SD (after dealing with lots of crashes from BI, microsd is IMHO is a requirement. ).

Any recommendations?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
looking to add a few cameras to my existing blue iris system. Currently running a mix of Lorex 4k/hikvision 2k cameras.

trying to stay within the $200-$300/camera range.
other than the obvious (good camera, good low light performance)
Looking for-
* 4k (Cameras scanning over large acreage, need good digital zoom ability)
* H.265 support for whenver blue iris gets around to adding it
* sound preferably (though not mandatory)
* poe
* microsd

I've had good experience with the lorex -- great pic, great low light capability, poe, h.265, and audio ability, but no micro SD (after dealing with lots of crashes from BI, microsd is IMHO is a requirement. ).

Any recommendations?
Optical zoom is for more useful than digital zoom. 4K can be useful, but often more pixels often just means more noise. 1080p Dahua starlight / Hikvision DarkFighter cameras will preform much better at night. A mix of cameras is good.

Since you're trying to cover a large area, you may want to consider a PTZ to supplement your fixed cameras. There are some pretty good PTZ in the $350-700 price range.

Make sure to check some of the recommendations in the wiki at the top.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
265 is supported by blueiris.... It's just that Hardware acceleration with h265 is not supported....
If you're having lots of crashes with blueiris you have a problem with your installation or PC... It should run smooth with no issues.

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. I already have a lorax 4knpointing the opposite direction, and am generally.satisfied with the level of zoom I'm getting, and the night time quality is actually really good (for my application anyway, I have low volt lights throughout my property, eno8gj so pic quality is really good)

Not adverse to ptz, but what I'm really not finding is a good 4k camera with a microsd card... I know they used to make them , are there any good ones out there?
Optical zoom is for more useful than digital zoom. 4K can be useful, but often more pixels just means more noise. 1080p Dahua starlight / Hikvision DarkFighter cameras will preform much better at night. A mix of cameras is good.

Since you're trying to cover a large area, you may want to consider a PTZ to supplement your fixed cameras. There are some pretty good PTZ in the $350-700 price range.

Make sure to check some of the recommendations in the wiki at the top.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks. I already have a lorax 4knpointing the opposite direction, and am generally.satisfied with the level of zoom I'm getting, and the night time quality is actually really good (for my application anyway, I have low volt lights throughout my property, eno8gj so pic quality is really good)

Not adverse to ptz, but what I'm really not finding is a good 4k camera with a microsd card... I know they used to make them , are there any good ones out there?
Hi jmg,

Amcrest has a Dahua OEM "4K"/8MP bullet w/microSD card slot - recently for $126 w/discount code...
Swann has a Hikvision OEM "4K"/8MP turret w/microSD card slot - recently for about $130

Both iirc have fairly wide FOVs

Andy will also have some good options, including ones which are varifocal.
IPC-HDW48xx/58xx for the turret models - both iirc have microSD card slots
IPC-HFW48xx/58xx for the bullet models.- both iirc have microSD card slots

jmg

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks!
Does Andy have a site, or does he do everything through fb?