Camera reliability?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They offer 1-year warranty to direct consumers. Their Warranty structure is completely different for OEM and other large customers; Apple is both a customer and vendor of ours, and their products come with much longer warranties.
How does that change his point? And no, they dont offer you a longer warranty without paying for it. More making shit up. Your fantasy company does not get special apple treatment.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
They offer 1-year warranty to direct consumers. Their Warranty structure is completely different for OEM and other large customers; Apple is both a customer and vendor of ours, and their products come with much longer warranties.
You’re simply digging yourself into a deeper hole. Where every reply you make looks and sounds to be from a blithering idiot.

In enterprise / corporate many companies will offer longer warranty periods or extended coverage. Are you stating this longer warranty period is based on MTBF???

Come on - just bow out!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why don't you ask him to clarify? Maybe he can get the reliability data from Dahua and post them here.
Why dont you? If there was an epidemic of cameras failing at that rate the forum would be full of people bitching like you. You have no dataset and literally making shit up. Its pathetic. I have HUNDREDS of dahua hikvision and other brands in service for well over 6 years. Many have recently gotten replaced simply because the technology is so much better.

Not only do you not have a proper sample size, but you dont even know the cause of your failure. My money is on the fact that you refuse to use any surge suppression. That is NOT normal. Or you simply have bad luck. Nothing can be determined from an 11 camera sample size. You are trying to shake andy down. Fuck you. @EMPIRETECANDY

You ask your question pretending to care about the replies. When they dont go your way you stick to your false misleading premise.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
there are no bad designs anymore, not even mediocre ones.
You're serious about this? If you got me started on a list for my 2019 Subaru it would get pretty long. Just a couple of teasers: (1) Seat belt dinger going full blast when the car is stopped and in park, (2) Dash display says to shut engine off when it's not running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why don't you ask him to clarify? Maybe he can get the reliability data from Dahua and post them here.
How would dahua know of the reliability of a camera after its warranty period? What is wrong with you? I know many dahua installers and i have hundreds of cameras under my direct control so I know if they are operating. Failures are rare. 1-2 percent. Your claims are false and based on your 11 camera sample size.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
My 2431T-AS is still going.....( 3 years to the Month)
But that cam wasn't very good as I found out ( as a Beginner) for the conditions I had at the Condo driveway, but did Ok IDing people coming up the Sidewalk with 9watt 5000K LED lamps outside. Would not buy again.
The only camera failure I've experienced is 2 of the Nightowl 5MP Analogs, 1 having a stuck IR filter and the other the image turned pinkish after too much direct sun on the sensor? maybe ...anyway it had a strange color problem...
So far all approximately 40 cams I have purchased from 2019 to mid 2023 are still going ( with 60ish % being Empiretech)

1702624309340.png

Last edited:

JohnKol

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you stating this longer warranty period is based on MTBF???
What do you think it's based on? The good will of the company? You think there is a single CEO out there who's going to risk the financial well being of his company because he feels magnanimous towards his customers?

JohnKol

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
And no, they dont offer you a longer warranty without paying for it.
That's right, we do pay: they offer their products at 65% of the retail price and give us 3x the warranty. Maybe Apple just likes us?

How would dahua know of the reliability of a camera after its warranty period?
The way I know the reliability of our products at 3x the warranty period. Because we have run reliability tests, because we get daily reliability data from the field, because we get constant feedback from our customers.

It's called science. To the uninitiated it looks like magic.

JohnKol

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you got me started on a list for my 2019 Subaru it would get pretty long.
So you've done the root cause analysis and determined that it is indeed the design and not, e.g. a malfunctioning sensor, or a flaky sub-component, or... a dozen other things?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's right, we do pay: they offer their products at 65% of the retail price and give us 3x the warranty. Maybe Apple just likes us?

The way I know the reliability of our products at 3x the warranty period. Because we have run reliability tests, because we get daily reliability data from the field, because we get constant feedback from our customers.

It's called science. To the uninitiated it looks like magic.
You are outright lying, you're so full of shit it's not even funny.... Apple is not selling you products at a 35% discount and they're not giving you a 3-year warranty stop making yourself look like a fucking idiot.
Apple's profit margin is somewhere around 30%.... They're not selling to you at a loss....
You haven't run any tests...you're not an engineer.... You're a bullshitter who's upset the two of his 11 cameras died after 6 years with no surge protection...
And you are trying to shake down @EMPIRETECANDY

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So you've done the root cause analysis and determined that it is indeed the design and not, e.g. a malfunctioning sensor, or a flaky sub-component, or... a dozen other things?
Lol, That's the exact same thing we asked you about your failed cameras yet you've come to conclusions without doing any of these tests on the cameras themselves.... Are you for real or just trolling?

Have you never seen a recall on a vehicle or other product where the repair includes the replacement of a part that has been redesigned because a poorly designed part is the cause of the failure? There is no way you're an engineer.
You are a disgruntled end user I hope the rest of your cameras fail.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
And breath ..... :)

I got my Dahua 5231-ze cams back in 2019, so 4 years old now. Plan was to replace them as they died with newer models but the damn things just keep working.

With them now being 4 years old and counting, if they started dying would I contact Andy, yep I would but to ask for prices for the latest suitable replacement.

Although these are designed and built for the elements there is so much that can vary between installs, I doubly make sure that the junction boxes and any connections are water tight but others may not be as stringent/OCD.

I did have a chuckle re designing and that all components are the same :) Obviously the OP has never purchased from Aliexpress where building the cheapest and therefore using the cheapest no-name components is king.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What do you think it's based on? The good will of the company? You think there is a single CEO out there who's going to risk the financial well being of his company because he feels magnanimous towards his customers?
Every person who stumbles upon this thread and reads your comments already know - You're That Guy. :facepalm: You may not like the delivery of the message / content of the replies from me or the other forum members. But, one thing no one can say is my statements are not rooted and based on facts. Nor from anyone else replying here today as it relates to this topic.

I asked you a very simple question and to explain how you believe Apple ties their cheap ass 1 year warranty period based on MTBF?!?! Your reply is to ask me to give you the answer WTF??? I honestly don't know if you're just trolling to get a rise out of people or some kind of inbred moron?? :wtf:

Regardless, its safe to say you add no value to the discussion at hand . . .

I will never understand how someone (like you) will come on to a forum and spout off none sense. The very forum that is literally filled with people with the collective knowledge of the entire Internet?!? What always makes me burst out laughing is when I see a person go out of their way to state I'm a Engineer. The Internet is littered with people like you and quickly show you're / they're NOT an engineer - or truly have to be one of the worst the profession has to offer! :banghead:

Back in the day any profession from garbage man to whomever tried to be the very best at what they do.

Sadly, today the entire world is spitting out complete imbeciles with a paper diploma that is barely good enough to wipe the shit off a persons hairy ass. :banghead:

NonTech

n3wb
Reaction score
I just thought I would point out that i am also an ass hole. A crazy one at that. I even have a degree, from being self taught. I love to read posts on this site because it is very informative. The best thing I learned in this thread is to second guess buying a subaru. Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year. Well, yes , I probably should have used the funny satire thread, but I did state previously ... :wave:

NonTech

n3wb
Reaction score
I try not to get into politics, my rear end is sore enough from this current... well never mind.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Sadly, today the entire world is spitting out complete imbeciles with a paper diploma that is barely good enough to wipe the shit off a persons hairy ass. :banghead:
I know how this person feels, I've done my left wrist in, no comments from the people at the back please and being left handed had a difficult and painful time wiping this morning :embarrassed:

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Chinese 4431-R-Z(my first camera/didn't know any better then) since 2017 and it still runs well. It is under my garage eve in LA, so temps are high here.