Camera Tx and Rx question

ABnSultan

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm using BlueIris with 4 Amcrest camera setup

but i keep getting lag and image freeze when recording, so i thought it might be my network traffic reached it limit or something
so i opened my unifi interface and looked for my wifi camera model:
(Amcrest ProHD 1080P WiFi Camera 2MP (1920TVL) Indoor Pan/Tilt Security Wireless IP Camera IP2M-841B)
my video setting is 1080p 15Frame encode 264H and disabled P2P

my question is why there are 72.2 Mbps Rx, shouldn't the camera only transmit data?
sorry for my lack of knowledge i already searched google but couldn't find any answer :(

Untitled.png

Thanks for reading this, looking forward to your reply.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
my question is why there are 72.2 Mbps Rx, shouldn't the camera only transmit data?
I'm guessing as I've not used Unifi network devices -
But isn't that the negotiated WiFi channel rate for the camera?
The Activity value below shows a more realistic value.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup, this is the connected rate. Not the data transferred.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are other devices besides your 4 Wi-Fi cams also connected to the Unifi?

I have 4 Amcrest IP2M-841's running wirelessly and recording to Blue Iris @ 1080p / 10 FPS with never any lag but they are connected to their own, dedicated wireless access point, (an Asus RT-N66U router with static IP and DHCP disabled). All other household devices (Smart TV, BI server, 2nd PC, iPads, etc.) are connected to a different primary router, some wirelessly.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Your wifi cameras need to be on a separate SSID and a different channel then your home network. Most cameras run on the 2.4GHZ network, this network is very crowded with a lot of noise in most suburban environment.

In my home test I could support only 3 cameras at 2MP 15 fps. This setup was very unreliable. Every thing is currently hard wired, i do not use wifi for security.

If these are security / surveillance cameras, a bad guy can shut down / block your WiFi, it is very easy to do.

shalem2014

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My position on WiFi with security cameras is don't do it. You have to run a wire to the camera anyway to power it. You might as well run a PoE cable that both powers the camera and provides data connectivity.