Cameras all connected

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
So, latest....

What am I not doing?
You are not posting the configuration of your VPN server & client :)

How are those configured? "Allow access to LAN"? Are you successfully connecting? etc etc.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To be clear you want to view the blue iris via the phone app or the web interface ui3 ?
With the current set up you can not directly access the cameras remotely. The only way to access the cameras are from the bi PC.

Need screen short from the VPN setup on the router ?
Are you using an external static IP address from your internet provider or are you using DDNS ?
Note the IP address does not start with 192.168.xxx.xxx. do not supply your external IP address in any posts.

With the mobile device , when home and on your home network can you access BI.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
@Omar Mohammed - You'll need to setup the BI PC to have Blue Iris' web server listening on the 2nd NIC that you added. If you have the BI client on your mobile device, provided that your VPN drops you off on an IP on 192.168.70.x - you would then access BI as if you were local to that network. Your client's server setting should be pointing to the IP of the BI server on 192.168.70.x.

First, get the BI web server configured and listening for connections on the 192.168.70.x NIC and test the access from the app from one of your devices on your local 192.168.70.x network, make sure that all works and then test from the VPN.

Omar Mohammed

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@ SouthernYankee...I would like it via the ui3 interface.

When I am at home and on wifi, I can access BI. As soon as I switch over to 4G I lose this ability.

I do not have a clue whether I am using static IP or DDNS. My VPN router was bought preconfigured to work with UK ISP.

I will send you a screenshot of the VPN setup

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
my VPN settings are as below:

View attachment 43761
I only see the port number as "special". Many ISP's block port 80 to avoid hosting (virus)websites. Please change it to the default 1194 (or alternatively 443, that is https which might be left open by your ISP). Changing tunnel protocol to UDP might help too.

Hope this helps!
CC

Omar Mohammed

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I can access the ui3 on my local lan. As soon as i disconnect from the lan and use cellular connection, I can not access the ui3.

Would it make it easier to go through the BlueIris app instead?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that not a screenshot of the OpenVPN client and not an OpenVPN server? I don't have much experience with OpenVPN, but I would believe there needs to be an OpenVPN Server settings section in that router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need to have an application on your phone, that first connects to the Router VPN with a secure connection.

I do not know about your router. I think that that is the wrong type of VPN in your router. (not sure)

There are two types of VPN inbound and outbound.

Outbound, hides your activity from the internet, it normally has a monthly fee. Hides your activity when going to web sites. (google,your bank, office, web email......)

Inbound, encrypts data into your home network. Allows access to all system on your home subnet.

I think that to get this working you are going to need to find someone that has the same internet provider and router .

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you plan on using VPN, you need to have a VPN server set up in order to do this, what you've posted is VPN client.
VPN Client = devices on your home network accessing internet.
VPN Server = outside devices from the internet accessing your home network.

Additionally you may need a DDNS set up or get a static IP address.
Your phone also needs relevant software to access your IP or DDNS address, which in turn accesses your home network.

Have read of following, it's quite useful.
VPN Primer for Noobs

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow very confusing but learning a lot. Please keep us updated Omar Mohammed. @catcamstar is helping with a similar setup and I drove him nuts as I decided against vlans and 2 nic bi then went back to managed switch/ex-r with vlans. I feel setting it up with vlans now is worth the extra worth/money! I will share whatever I do! Thanks for the motivation Omar Mohammed!

Omar Mohammed

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys, you are all correct.

I rushed out and got a VPN but it was a client setup and not a server.... my bad!!!

I have spoken to the VPN provider, and they have said that they can offer me a dedicated IP address which I would then use to access my home network.

I think this seems the easiest option!!!!

It's definitely a steep learning curve!!!!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A static address solves part of the problem, you will no longer need a send service.

But you still need to address security and encryption.
To access your system you will need to open a port on the router. This is not a very good idea.

I may have asked his before, can your modem/ router be put in pass through mode, so it no longer acts as a router, it uonly acts as a modem. You will need to ask your internet provider, or people that use your internet provider.

How much is your provider charging for the static IP.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
A static address solves part of the problem, you will no longer need a send service.

But you still need to address security and encryption.
To access your system you will need to open a port on the router. This is not a very good idea.

I may have asked his before, can your modem/ router be put in pass through mode, so it no longer acts as a router, it uonly acts as a modem. You will need to ask your internet provider, or people that use your internet provider.

How much is your provider charging for the static IP.
Hang on @SouthernYankee: Omar says the VPN provider (not his ISP!) is willing to provide a static IP run a VPN server. That is, in my opinion, not really solving the issue - how to connect that service to your "internal LAN" is unclear to me (like you said: he needs to open various ports - which is, off course, not that wise today).

So unless Omar meant "ISP", this does not makes sense.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, you are all correct.

I rushed out and got a VPN but it was a client setup and not a server.... my bad!!!

I have spoken to the VPN provider, and they have said that they can offer me a dedicated IP address which I would then use to access my home network.

I think this seems the easiest option!!!!

It's definitely a steep learning curve!!!!
Yeah :) a lot of experts post here and it gets intimidating but you learn. There are also a lot of newbies that will read your post that are more new to this than you and I so thanks for sharing as it really helps for the next person to avoid the little mistakes. As soon as I figure out my own setup I will post all steps and settings. I have been driving @catcamstar a bit crazy to say the least with a lot of dumb questions but almost there.

This is my final setup now I just need to configure it....... (thanks to catcamstar)

Are you setting up pfsense or any other firewalls on your setup?