Cameras setup for townhouse located on a public park

Reaction score
I have a townhouse that will be finished up soon and wanted some feedback on my plan for a camera setup. The townhouse opens to a park and while not a bad neighborhood, I'd like to make sure I have proper camera coverage for the unexpected. Being a townhome, I want to also be cautious of my neighbors privacy if/when possible.

From researching on this forum, it looks like I can get by with one or two wall mounted, turret style cameras on the patio, one ceiling mounted on the second story balcony (per SO's request) and one above the garage. If I understand things correctly, 2MP cameras are better in low light than 4K, but I think we will have enough light that this may not be an issue. If that's the case, I'm planning on going with the IPC-HDW5831R-Z over the IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

I would appreciate any feedback to make sure I'm on the right track with a solid plan. I'm happy to provide more details and pictures if needed.

The view of our building from the park. Our unit is the one with the patio light on and our front door is to the left of the light.
pic1.jpg

I'm thinking about mounting one camera in the right corner (on the bump out to the right of the slider). An alternative would be to mount above the patio light (partially hidden, to the left of the slider), but I think the first option gives a better view and would be easier to wire up.
pic5.jpg

Here's a roughly 170-190 degree view (from my iPhone) at both locations. You can see the light in the park that seems to always be on overnight. There's also our patio and front door lights, one or both of which will be on overnight as well.
pic2.jpgpic3.jpg

I may go with a camera doorbell to help identify who is at the door. Or I could put a camera here instead if that's a better idea.
pic4.jpg

Our garage is the second from the left. I'd like to mount one camera to the right of the first light. All of the garages have lights next to them that I believe are always on at night.
pic7.jpg

View from the center of the driveway. People can enter the complex from the street in front and the street to the left.
pic6.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a townhouse that will be finished up soon and wanted some feedback on my plan for a camera setup. The townhouse opens to a park and while not a bad neighborhood, I'd like to make sure I have proper camera coverage for the unexpected. Being a townhome, I want to also be cautious of my neighbors privacy if/when possible.

From researching on this forum, it looks like I can get by with one or two wall mounted, turret style cameras on the patio, one ceiling mounted on the second story balcony (per SO's request) and one above the garage. If I understand things correctly, 2MP cameras are better in low light than 4K, but I think we will have enough light that this may not be an issue. If that's the case, I'm planning on going with the IPC-HDW5831R-Z over the IPC-HDW5231R-Z.

I would appreciate any feedback to make sure I'm on the right track with a solid plan. I'm happy to provide more details and pictures if needed. ...
Hi Dummpty

Looks like a nice town house. Hopefully the HOA is reasonable.

1) Framing pictures:

Hopefully you've managed to take pictures of the town house during the framing to get a better idea of how to route your cables.

If you have not taken pictures of the framing for you unit, then go to a similar unit which still has it's framing exposed and take a LOT of pictures of that unit.

Chances are the framing will be the same or very similar, and this will give you ideas on how to route the cables.

2) Test locations:

Super important, have a friend with a hat and hoodie help you out here. Both during the day and night.

3) Plan to over cable

N+1 - pull an extra cable to all locations, better to do the work once.

I would also cable your media center, office, and other places you plan to have a workstation, media device, alexa / voice type device, access point...

remember - since you are in a town house - wifi and EMI interference from neighbors WILL be an issue.

4) Plan your alarm system.

5) Also do consider one camera on each side of the garage door frame by the top and have their FOVs cross each other, as often thieves DO turn away from cameras and shield their faces with hoodies and caps. We want to maximize the chance for a good ID image.

Also plan for a camera inside the garage.

Reaction score
Hi Dummpty

Looks like a nice town house. Hopefully the HOA is reasonable.
Thanks-it was a lucky find! If you're talking about the association itself, I hope they are too. I was on the board at my last place so there's always that option haha. I did roll my eyes at the CC&Rs though!

1) I did take plenty of pictures during construction as the builder didn't really offer any specialty cabling aside from their standard coax+cat5e drops, so I'll be running some myself after close. I should be able to do so with minimal holes which is nice.

2) Sounds good. I think I can test all of these locations easily.

3) Check!

4) Yes, I have started on this. I'll make a separate thread.

5) Ah, I've read about this, but now I understand why. I can probably do this with minimal trouble.

Thanks again for the feedback/suggestions!

eagerbob

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, nice house.
Congratulations!

Hi Dummpty
Super important, have a friend with a hat and hoodie help you out here. Both during the day and night.
I second that.
Or, consider a hidden (pinhole) camera in the middle of your front door. Guaranteed to get you a clear picture of anyone with a hoodie and bad intentions checking out your front door. Some nice examples of good camera's but still no identification possible:

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..Or, consider a hidden (pinhole) camera in the middle of your front door. Guaranteed to get you a clear picture of anyone with a hoodie and bad intentions checking out your front door. Some nice examples of good camera's but still no identification possible:
Nice videos eagerbob,

excellent lessons to learn from those.

eagerbob

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Indeed, some lessons to be learned:
  • always lock your bicycle
  • don't buy a car with keyless entry
  • if you do, disable keyless entry or store the card in a Faraday cage
  • install more camera's with overlapping/crossing FOV
  • use a mix of visible and hidden cams.
Last bonus movie just for your viewing pleasure (don't want to be hijacking the OP's thread)