Cams up, Pictures here.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmmm im no pro but me personally I would have put them under the eves to avoid damage to them and the elements

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm im no pro but me personally I would have put them under the eves to avoid damage to them and the elements
Hi Code2,

Under the eves would be too high, or if on the corners potential issues with the lights.

These cameras are very well rated with regards to weather, and with the wall mounts and some silicone caulk you can really ensure the cables in the wall mount has a great chance to be kept dry, put some dielectric grease in the RJ45 connection and wrap with silicone stretch tape and you should have a very good setup with regards to any possible issues from the elements.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Code2,

Under the eves would be too high, or if on the corners potential issues with the lights.

These cameras are very well rated with regards to weather, and with the wall mounts and some silicone caulk you can really ensure the cables in the wall mount has a great chance to be kept dry, put some dielectric grease in the RJ45 connection and wrap with silicone stretch tape and you should have a very good setup with regards to any possible issues from the elements.

To each is their own I personally wouldn't put them that low I don't like them to stand out and honestly i have a garage i actually park cars in, so I dont need ID shots in a drive way and could care less who walks up the drive way uninvited. Im only concerned with ID shots when one attempts to actually get in and IF they do get in chances are they wont be leaving the same way either they will be leaking bodily fluid from the damage the dogs cause, or the damage the home owner causes aka me. Then again honestly even if I parked outside I wouldn't care if my car was broken into there is nothing to take to begin with its annoying to have to fix a window yes but i have insurance to handle that and if they take the suv great they can have it again the insurance will handle it and ill buy a new one. Now inside the garage I have that covered since I do have my 5 toys in the garage and that i cherish almost as much as the my dogs.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To each is their own I personally wouldn't put them that low I don't like them to stand out and honestly i have a garage i actually park cars in, so I dont need ID shots in a drive way and could care less who walks up the drive way uninvited. Im only concerned with ID shots when one attempts to actually get in and IF they do get in chances are they wont be leaving the same way either they will be leaking bodily fluid from the damage the dogs cause, or the damage the home owner causes aka me. Then again honestly even if I parked outside I wouldn't care if my car was broken into there is nothing to take to begin with its annoying to have to fix a window yes but i have insurance to handle that and if they take the suv great they can have it again the insurance will handle it and ill buy a new one. Now inside the garage I have that covered since I do have my 5 toys in the garage and that i cherish almost as much as the my dogs.
Hi Code,

Vandalism and thefts occur without entry into the home / building, and sometimes thieves do put on masks before committing criminal acts.

I have witnessed 2 cases recently where a tagger / gang banger walked on the sidewalk normally, and then a few steps latter covered his face up - tagged - and left. Also a package thief who looked normal on the side walk, and then put their hoodie on an approached the porch with their face turned away from the camera they noticed.

To me having the opportunity to reduce delinquency in the neighborhood results in a safer neighborhood, regardless of insurance coverage.

Basically:
Each camera has basically a CHANCE for a good ID shot - if you maximize the potential of all of your cameras to capture a good ID image - that will increase the chances of good evidence should you wish to provide that to law enforcement authorities. Of course, it is up to you on how you want to place your cameras. For me I want to maximize that chance of a good ID shot, as that is a big reason for getting quality low light cameras like the Dahua OEM starlights.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Code,

Vandalism and thefts occur without entry into the home / building, and sometimes thieves do put on masks before committing criminal acts.

I have witnessed 2 cases recently where a tagger / gang banger walked on the sidewalk normally, and then a few steps latter covered his face up - tagged - and left. Also a package thief who looked normal on the side walk, and then put their hoodie on an approached the porch with their face turned away from the camera they noticed.

To me having the opportunity to reduce delinquency in the neighborhood results in a safer neighborhood, regardless of insurance coverage.

Basically:
Each camera has basically a CHANCE for a good ID shot - if you maximize the potential of all of your cameras to capture a good ID image - that will increase the chances of good evidence should you wish to provide that to law enforcement authorities. Of course, it is up to you on how you want to place your cameras. For me I want to maximize that chance of a good ID shot, as that is a big reason for getting quality low light cameras like the Dahua OEM starlights.

Im no stranger to damage of property I live in Chicago, Tagging big deal again its annoying but some elbow grease and its gone not the crime of the century. And package thieves thats an issue with the person who ordered it and not providing ample places for it to be secured or taking advantage of the MILLIONS of locations almost on every corner to have your package delivered and secured until you can grab it so in turn the ordering person is giving golden opportunity to anyone to take it. Package thief and tagging misdemeanors and community service at best if it even gets that far oh and the standard 3 hr cell time while your prints clear and 72 hours if its a weekend preventing either of those two sorry is not making a neighborhood safer its not even reducing crime its pushing it to another home and area thats all. Prime example chicago and they PODS all it does is push the petty crime around the corner it does nothing in preventing the shootings the car jackings, or real crime.
Maybe in tiny towns the police may look for the person taking packages, or tagging since they have nothing else to do but in most major cities and suburbs providing video or a picture is not going to make them stop everything and go look for them.

You want to make your area safe with crime prevention start with the corrupt politicians :O)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. Prime example chicago and they PODS all it does is push the petty crime around the corner it does nothing in preventing the shootings the car jackings, or real crime.

You want to make your area safe with crime prevention start with the corrupt politicians :O)
Hi Code2,

Criminal charges helps - a number of people in California have been charged and jailed for package theft thanks in large part to security camera video captures, and depending on the vandalism it can be serious enough to press charges.

Corrupt politicians - well, Chicago has to be one of the worst reputations for that... granted, parts of other states are also loaded with those, unfortunately my security cameras have little effect on those folks - so I have to limit my hopes to reducing other crime around my home and by extension neighborhood with my cameras.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Excellent positioning in my opinion. Good job. Huge improvement from hanging them high and getting good bald spot pics. Most folks mount cameras way to high.

Much like mine, you'll notice you get the added benefit of improved depth of field when mounted like that, along with close in focus at the cars for facial ID - Best of both worlds!

Jim Pederson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Much like mine, you'll notice you get the added benefit of improved depth of field when mounted like that, along with close in focus at the cars for facial ID - Best of both worlds!
Thanks for opinions.
I expressly placed the cameras to discourage and or ID Door Checkers. Higher up would have given me great pictures of their hoodies.
My intent was to cover the drive, and some of the street in each direction.
Please remember, if your "insurance covers that" it is you who are paying for it. At least enough to pay for the damage or losses plus administrative costs.
When petty theft/larceny is tolerated as normal, then it will ratchet up a notch or two until that becomes "normal".

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice job Jim. I like them low so you get a nice long shot also. This lets you tell the whole story if something happens at your house or your neighbors house. You will capture more of an event and a good vehicle description if needed. Kudos!

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I like the lower position as well. For the 5231 i have the connections from the wall at about 190 cm up. So the camera’s will end up at 180 cm, just about head hight.
Only disadvantage is that someone will bang their head against it some time. But this will be a nice video capture than :)

Als i like the way that right side camera faces left and left side faces right.
This seems the best way so they sort of cover each other.