Can DS-2CD2720F-IS be used for VCA/loitering detection (Basic Smart Suite)?

iScape

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

In Dec'2015 Hikvision introduced so-called "Value Plus" series. They have limited "smart" capabilities called Basic Smart Suite which includes Line Crossing and Intrusion. And it looks like they can be used to capture loitering that I'm very interested in to capture:)

DS-2CD2720F-IS was released on 2016-03-22 and mentions "Alarm Trigger: Line Crossing, Intrusion Detection".
Does anybody know if this cam can be used to detect loitering?

It's manual seems to be a generic one as it doesn't mention the cam's model in it. But it does mention a lot of VCA-related stuff.

The reason why I have concerns is that "similar" DS-2CD2132F-I that was released on !2015-06-18 has "Smart Feature-set" in it's detailed description.
Another "similar" but newer DS-2CD2722FWD also has basic smart capabilities,

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

iScape

n3wb
Reaction score
What's also confusing is that though "Hikvision Introduces Value Plus Video Surveillance Products" article declares
Hikvision has also introduced a “Basic Smart Suite” custom-tailored for Value Plus, bringing intelligence to even the most basic video surveillance deployments. The cameras support line crossing and intrusion detection zones, boosting the convenience and efficiency of video surveillance.
, product quick guide for 2016 lists Basic Smart Suite in majority of Value (non-Plus) cameras.

So I'm also wondering if Value and Value Plus has the same set of smart features.

But maybe the article is simply outdated and Hikvision decided to expand basic smart suite capabilities also to basic Value series.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
None of those features could detect loitering...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hm, does that mean Hikvision made a mistake in description of DS-2CD2132F-I, DS-2CD2722FWD-IZS and many others from Value Plus series (and simple Value) when stated that it supports "Intrusion Detection: | Enter and loiter in a pre-defined virtual region"?
It depends on what you mean by loitering...it is limited to detecting an object in the region from 1-10 seconds...thats not true loitering...You will get a bunch of false alerts.

iScape

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you mean that loitering detection in Hikvision's Smart series results in significantly less false detections comparing to non-Smart?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean that loitering detection in Hikvision's Smart series results in significantly less false detections comparing to non-Smart?
Dont think so...there appears to be a 10s limit there too...its basically worthless if that is the case.
There are plugins for some vms like milestone that claim to do what you are looking for...

iScape

n3wb
Reaction score
That means I have to expand search area from "just HW" to include software part. So it's again need for extra time:) Thank's for pointing this out!

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think you are going to get loitering detection on a cheap camera.