Can Hikvision OEM devices be force-updated vanilla firmware using TFTP?

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey,

I've been wondering about this and would love to know if anyone's tried it

I've updated an old DS-7332-HGHI DVR using the Hikvision TFTP tool with International firmware before just to try it because it was a newer version than the USA firmware. It seemed to work just fine

Which makes me wonder, can the same thing be done w/ newer equipment? Could I order an OEM NVR and throw the latest firmware from the Hikvision website on there using TFTP even if it's only supposed to be updated with firmware from the vendor?

Thanks

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried OEM firmware from a different OEM brand and it works. The one I used was a WH model (Brovision) NVR and updated it to the LTS firmware and it took the firmware with no issues just by going into the local monitor and plugging in the flash drive with the firmware. Just be VERY sure that the firmware is the correct one and upgrade firmware in sequential order. What I also do is turn off the password and the auto logout just in case. With that being said I always get firmware mismatch or another error when trying to load Hikvision firmware on OEM.

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have tried OEM firmware from a different OEM brand . . . just by going into the local monitor and plugging in the flash drive with the firmware . . . I always get firmware mismatch or another error when trying to load Hikvision firmware on OEM.
You get the error, but does it work? And what about TFTP, have you tried it?

AveryFreeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tftp forces an upload of data to a device's NAND. It basically replaces the current blocks.

Kind of like when you upgrade your computer's BIOS, but across a network (serial, ethernet) using a remote protocol (tftp).