Can I delete all remote blue iris clips from mobile app?

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A problem I run into a lot is that the remote drive will fill and instead of deleting data and starting from a clean storage drive (even though I set that up), the system freezes and I have to find a way to manually clear the drive. This happens even if I have an external drive allocated and shift to main OS drive later.
This is fixable with remote apps like TeamViewer, except now I'm having all kinds of problems with that app. I know I can delete files one by one on the mobile phone app (or by day), but clearing terabytes would take forever. Is there some reformat or delete all data storage option I can access on the mobile app?
BTW I also mean destroy all files not just send to recycle bin, that also causes remote issues.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) Exact version of BI?
2) Can you attach snapshots of clips and archiving pages for "New" and for "Storage"?

By your description something is not set up properly, as my BI has been running for 6 years, has recorded thousands of clips and hundred of GB's of clips and doesn't fill up its drive space allotment.

Your statement "....I have an external drive allocated and shift to main OS drive later" has me concerned also.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Set your drive up with not more then 80% of your drive space as the limit size, and you do not need to use the limit age.
Under that, make sure you have Delete checked, so it will not go to the recycle bin.

Beyond that we need more information. If you can clip a shot of your settings, we can help you more.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Also if you click on the status graph in the upper left corner. Then the clip storage tab, do you have any red areas shown?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One cause of drives filling up and files not being deleted is the auto protect flagged clip function. Make sure that is disabled. You need to solve the actual problem not manually fix it with a band aid.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
screen shots from BI full window use Snip and sketch

1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
2) blue Iris status cameras tab
3) blue Iris status messages
4) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all, sorry for the delay. BI ver 5.0. My Idea is I have a 4TB external drive, and at some threshold like 3TB it deletes the drive completely and starts re-recording (I've tried limit option for this and delete all). But, I still seem to have the system freeze and I have to go through teamviewer to manually delete all files

I'm using a local version image on a local machine, because TV has kicked me out remotely. I want to get rid of that dependency on TV and do everything through BI. I wish I could show more details but have to go far offsite to get access again. I know that deleting all data remotely always solves my issue.

If there was an option on mobile app to delete complete New folder, this would solve any future issues where I cannot login. I can do manually by day, but very long and tedious process.

P.S. What I meant by "....I have an external drive allocated and shift to main OS drive later" , is that I only store on remote drive, so it should not impact main OS memory. But for whatever reason, it seems to freeze all the time. I've been doing this for years, but with the TeamViewer bandaid to fix issues.

blueiris.jpg

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

4) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
It looks like that is set up right, something else in setup?
Can you give us a few more pics?

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It looks like that is set up right, something else in setup?
Can you give us a few more pics?
What do you want to see, specifically? I can post. Again, I'm not showing remote machine with problems, only my more local setup. But, I don't think there's much difference in the way I set them up.

One point I should add, is I don't store them on main local OS storage (per rec), but a dedicated USB connected hard disk drive. I do this so it doesn't eat into main OS drive and potentially cause memory limit problems. But I still have the freeze issue all the time. The symptom is blue iris doesn't come up anymore (remotely) and I have to manually delete all files in New folder. Then it works again.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Random record write to an external USB drive is not a good idea. USB drives are designed for a few full file writes and a lot of read. The Blue iris application writes single blocks at a time, record write not file writes.
If you manual delete the files you are corruptingly the BI database.

The Blue iris database belongs on the c drive not on an external USB drive.

Provide all the request screen shots, I believe you have the BI configuration messed up.

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Random record write to an external USB drive is not a good idea. USB drives are designed for a few full file writes and a lot of read. The Blue iris application writes single blocks at a time, record write not file writes.
If you manual delete the files you are corruptingly the BI database.

The Blue iris database belongs on the c drive not on an external USB drive.

Provide all the request screen shots, I believe you have the BI configuration messed up.
Which screen shots? I didn't see any specific requests outside of storage tab I posted. edit. I saw them. I'll have to go back and snapshot. I don't think any error messages will help as I'm not currently experiencing issues on local machine. I'll post anyways. Thanks.
To clarify, by USB drive, I mean USB connected HDD (large like 8TB). I reset and restore the db whenever I manually delete.
I don't like putting data on C: drive because 1) It's much, much smaller than external HDD, with SSD for speed and performance of OS 2) If there are memory limitation issues and it eats into C drive, it can cause problems like lack of available pagefile.sys etc and main OS freeze. By dedicating a remote HDD, I should be avoiding those problems. I have also connected 2nd HDD in the computer, but don't like the heating and other issues in enclosed spaces. I like the drive to have some ventilation outside the chassis of the desktop . The roadblock here seems to be BI freezing and not deleting files. And it somehow severs contact by filling up the remote drive. Like I said, if I manually go in remotely with something like TeamViewer, I can see the drive is FULL - I delete remotely -- problem sovled. Except issues with TV all the time.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
How do you connect remotely? By VPN?

Do you have a version of Windows (Pro) that supports RDP on that machine and is Remote Desktop enabled?

I'm guessing not to one or more of those; otherwise, you'd have already tried an RDP client from your phone or other device.

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How do you connect remotely? By VPN?
No dedicated VPN.
Used TeamViewer for years, but they've kicked me out by some algo and I've had numerous problems all the time with forced upgrades anyways. I just want to get off that dependency.

Do you have a version of Windows (Pro) that supports RDP on that machine and is Remote Desktop enabled?
I doubt it is pro. I know I didn't set it up for that. I could look into that next time I look into machine.

I'm guessing not to one or more of those; otherwise, you'd have already tried an RDP client from your phone or other device.
Weird thing is I've been using remote apps of various kinds for years, and always seem to run into various issues that are hard to solve without remote access or local access to delete drives. Not just BI, but dahua, etc.

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

DO NOT use any usb drive for the new folder. (hard drive or otherwise) It will cause nothing but problems. You need to add an internal harddrive to your PC.

The not deleting files is caused by a corrupt database. To fix the database delete all the files in the BI database folder. Reboot the BI computer. You will loose all your alerts but not the video files.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer and read.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder. The New folder must be on an internal drive.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

DO NOT use any usb drive for the new folder. (hard drive or otherwise) It will cause nothing but problems. You need to add an internal harddrive to your PC.

The not deleting files is caused by a corrupt database. To fix the database delete all the files in the BI database folder. Reboot the BI computer. You will loose all your alerts but not the video files.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer and read.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder. The New folder must be on an internal drive.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================
Thanks for all the tips. I'll take some time to digest them. Do you really think the external drive is causing all the problems? I have an external fireproof IOS drive and really want to avoid relying on extra internal SATA drives. I have heating and corruption issues in the past (It's a fairly enclosed space without a whole lot of ventilation -- having external drive allows for better ventilation). I don't see why anyone would store clips on an SSD drive, the cost factor is prohibitive for one.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
External disk drives are NOT designed for multiple Simultaneous writes. They are designed for a single file read.

Your problem is caused by the database and your configuration, not the current external disk drive.