Can I get a system with local storage without giving up features?

Victor S

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed a couple of NVR/IP Camera systems, the last one about three years ago. I only have a Nest doorbell now, and I want to add about six cameras. I like the Nest's ability to identify known people, and the way Nest marks events (motion detected/noise/person). But I can't imagine adding six Nest cameras; too much data to stream across the Internet, the cloud storage would be too expensive, and Nest compresses the video too much, losing a lot of definition for moving objects.

So I am looking for a soultion that provides the features and ease-of-use of the Nest, but that will record to a local NVR or PC. How close can I get with a budget less than $1,000?

P.S. - I already have an I5 PC and 6TB of storage if that is part of the solution. I know networking, and have installed PoE cameras and switches. I'm also familiar with Linux. But if I could get what I need in a low maintenance, turnkey system, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have installed a couple of NVR/IP Camera systems, the last one about three years ago. I only have a Nest doorbell now, and I want to add about six cameras. I like the Nest's ability to identify known people, and the way Nest marks events (motion detected/noise/person). But I can't imagine adding six Nest cameras; too much data to stream across the Internet, the cloud storage would be too expensive, and Nest compresses the video too much, losing a lot of definition for moving objects.

So I am looking for a soultion that provides the features and ease-of-use of the Nest, but that will record to a local NVR or PC. How close can I get with a budget less than $1,000?

P.S. - I already have an I5 PC and 6TB of storage if that is part of the solution. I know networking, and have installed PoE cameras and switches. I'm also familiar with Linux. But if I could get what I need in a low maintenance, turnkey system, that would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome @Victor S

Remember to check out the cliff notes.

Unfortunately while Nest does have features many customers like, it often fails on some of the core aspects of what is needed for a security camera. ( there was a recent thread on that.. )

Suggest checking out the Blue Iris section, as you can do quite a bit with that as a platform.