Can I have different cameras save clips to different directories using Blue Iris?

tahoegeek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 3 different installations that I manage... my home, a church, the church's thrift shop; in all, a total of 53 cameras. I routinely purge old clips - every 2 weeks or so, to keep the hard drives from getting cluttered. Currently, all the recorded clips are stored in the same place on each server - a directory called 'New'. However, there are a few cameras where it would be preferable to have the clips automatically dumped into a separate directory for longer term storage. Is there a way in BI to have different cameras save their clips to different directories?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 different installations that I manage... my home, a church, the church's thrift shop; in all, a total of 53 cameras. I routinely purge old clips - every 2 weeks or so, to keep the hard drives from getting cluttered. Currently, all the recorded clips are stored in the same place on each server - a directory called 'New'. However, there are a few cameras where it would be preferable to have the clips automatically dumped into a separate directory for longer term storage. Is there a way in BI to have different cameras save their clips to different directories?
There is no reason to manually delete clips. Keep them as long as you can. The hard drive does not get "cluttered". You paid for the storage, use it.
For your other question, see the clips and archiving tab. Use the aux folders. Very easy to do.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris Video Tutorials | IP Cam Talk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) define a folder on one of your disks for the cameras to keep example D:\BlueIris\CamKeep
2) To set up specific folders for cameras go the the Blue iris settings, clips and archiving tab.
3) use an AUX1 folder set it to use the folder created above
4) set a size for the storage. DO NOT use clip age.
5) set the AUX1 folder to delete
6) go to camera record folder that you want to save and change the folder from NEW to AUX1

General rules for folders and allocations.
1) never use time to determine when to delete only used storage space.
2) do not have New and Stored on the same physical drive, If Stored can not be on a seperate drive do not use it. Set it size to ero and set new to delete.
3) never allocate more than 90% free space to BI, leave 10% allocated.
4) there is no reason to manual delete BVR video files.
5) look at the Blue Iris status clip storage tab. If there is any RED you have a storage problem.

Last edited:

DroMike

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
T-Geek: Just wanted to say thank you for asking that great (subject-title) question. I never thought of different folders for specific cameras... And while my cams are named well enough where the default folders work adequately for them all, it certainly sounds like an intriguing idea. And likewise, thanks SoYank for the particulars. The things BI can do are almost encyclopedic so it's always wonderful to be exposed bit by bit to its capabilities that further enhance the enjoyment and usefulness of the program. :)

tahoegeek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
T-Geek: Just wanted to say thank you for asking that great (subject-title) question. I never thought of different folders for specific cameras... And while my cams are named well enough where the default folders work adequately for them all, it certainly sounds like an intriguing idea. And likewise, thanks SoYank for the particulars. The things BI can do are almost encyclopedic so it's always wonderful to be exposed bit by bit to its capabilities that further enhance the enjoyment and usefulness of the program. :)
Thanks for the shout-out... I've been using BI for several years and really find it amazing. As I mentioned, I have 3 different installations that I setup and manage (all volunteer, btw.) I feel pretty capable on the regular stuff, but once in a while something comes up and I turn to this forum. Most people are really helpful. I try to research past postings to see if there is an answer available before I post a question. Again, most of the responses are helpful and encouraging. However, I can usually count on at least one snarky reply from someone, too. It goes with the terrain. Thanks again.