Can see the camera controls and even control the Cam but see no video remotely?

jasoncmt24

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased an OEM ipcam from China (link to cam below). Must admit for the price this camera is fantastic. Has everything I wanted
plus very nice picture quality. Anyhow, the cam works fine locally but when trying to view remotely I am able to login
to the camera and see the server page and even control the camera but get no video. (when i click on ptz i can see it being controlled
locally).
I setup port forwarding on port 8090. I tried a few ports and all does the same. My netgear router does not have a firewall opion so I
added inbound services in windows firewall for the port.
Also, in my cam software there is a control and video port. Does anyone know when these ports are? I tried port forwarding
these ports and adding all 3 ports in router.
Being an OEM china cam the support is not very good either is the help docs so any help you guys good offer would be greatly
appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221638663557?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What model netgear router do you have? I've never heard of a router that doesn't have a firewall but does port forwarding (because port forwarding is technically a firewall function). I don't think your camera is the problem - if it works locally then you have a network issue, not a camera issue.

Also do you use NVR software or are you just using the camera firmware (i.e. the built in camera webserver ). I myself would be very wary of port forwarding any chinese made camera to the outside - don't be suprised if your camera starts talking to China - and I wish that was a joke, but it isn't - they like to spy. :cool:

jasoncmt24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have a WNDR3400v3 net gear router with the latest firmware. There is no firewall info anywhere. Making me crazy, lol. I am connecting directly to the cam no DVR. Also, what is the control port and video port? So you would no remotely view your camera if it was a Chinese make? Thanks again

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
From the user manual:

WAN Setup

The WAN Setup screen lets you configure a DMZ (demilitarized zone) server, change the maximum transmit unit (MTU) size, and enable the router to respond to a ping on the WAN (Internet) port. Select
Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup to view the following screen:

• Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection
. DoS protection protects your LAN against denial of service attacks such as Syn flood, Smurf Attack, Ping of Death, Teardrop Attack, UDP Flood, ARP Attack, Spoofing ICMP, Null Scan, and many others. This should be disabled only in special circumstances.

• Default DMZ Server
. This feature is sometimes helpful when you are playing online games or videoconferencing. Be careful when using this feature because it makes the firewall security less effective. See the following section, Default DMZ Server, for more details.

• Respond to Ping on Internet Port
. If you want the router to respond to a ping from the Internet, select this check box. Use this only as a diagnostic tool because it allows your router to be discovered. Do not select this check box unless you have a specific reason.

• Disable IGMP Proxying
. IGMP proxying allows a computer on the local area network (LAN) to receive the multicast traffic it is interested in from the Internet. If you do not need this feature, you can select this check box to disable it.

• MTU Size (in bytes)
. The normal MTU (maximum transmit unit) value for most Ethernet networks is 1500 bytes, or 1492 bytes for PPPoE connections. For some ISPs, you might need to reduce the MTU. This is rarely required, and should not be done unless you are sure that it is necessary for your ISP connection. See Change the MTU Size on page 40.

• NAT Filtering
. Network Address Translation (NAT) determines how the router processes inbound traffic. Secured NAT provides a secured firewall to protect the computers on the LAN from attacks from the Internet, but might prevent some Internet games, point-to-point applications, or multimedia applications from functioning. Open NAT provides a much less secured firewall, but allows almost all Internet applications to function.
And the start of a big section on configuring the exceptions to all inbound traffic being blocked by the firewall:
Port Forwarding and Port Triggering

By default, the router blocks inbound traffic from the Internet to your computers except replies to your outbound traffic. You might need to create exceptions to this rule for these purposes:

To allow remote computers on the Internet to access a server on your local network.

To allow certain applications and games to work correctly when their replies are not recognized by your router.

Your router provides two features for creating these exceptions: port forwarding and port triggering. The next sections provide background information to help you understand how port forwarding and port triggering work, and the differences between the two.

jasoncmt24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks I actually found it. It was called blocked services in my netear. I allowed for my ports that I am using but still I am able to bring up the control server and actually move the cam but still no video, blah...........

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you forwarded the rtsp port? default 554? download fing in your smartphone and then use the scan services option to see what ports the camera is broadcasting on...

jasoncmt24

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. I did that and it was indeed in 554. I opened that port but still no video. I am lost.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It could be your internet service provide blocks the standard rtsp port, what you need to do is scan your network from the outside and see if the port is truely available - here is a good tool for that https://www.grc.com/default.htm, select the "Shields Up!" link in the second box, then go thru the pages. You will end up at a page that lets you scan for any open port on your IP. See if the ports are indeed open to the public (plus it wont hurt to see your overall security). :cool:

jasoncmt24

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome. Will try it from work tonight. Can i change the port ftom 554 to something else? Thanks again

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome. Will try it from work tonight. Can i change the port ftom 554 to something else? Thanks again
You don't have to be at work (a physical location away from your location), GRC scans from their location - you can do the scan now from home. :)

If the camera firmware allows you to change the rtsp port...you'll have to look at the setting page - some cameras are fixed, in which case you would use your router to change the port forwarded port, i.e.

instead of 554 from the camera -> 554 on your public IP
you would do something like 554 from the camera -> 10554 on your public IP

The external port can be almost any port (suggest above 1024 though), as long as it doesn't conflict with an existing used port.