Can you connect NVR directly to an external PoE switch?

Reaction score
I'm planning out my cable runs and I wanted to know if you can just connect the NVR to an external PoE switch instead of running the NVR LAN port all the way back to the router. That would be one less cable I have to run if that will work. I know typically you would run 2 network cables from your router (1 for the NVR and 1 for the PoE switch). I have no problem issuing static IP addresses to both the NVR and/or the cameras if I have to in order to pull this off.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm planning out my cable runs and I wanted to know if you can just connect the NVR to an external PoE switch instead of running the NVR LAN port all the way back to the router.
If the cameras are also on the PoE switch that would be good as the camera traffic then does not traverse the router.
And in any case, if the router is 10/100Mbps and not 1000Mbps (Gigabit) - you need to keep the NVR off it anyway.

Reaction score
Thats a good point I didn't think about. All of my IP cameras are staying on the external PoE switch. I won't be using any of the ports on the NVR for cameras. The link between the PoE switch uplink and the router will be Gigabit for sure. I haven't bought the switch yet, so should I pick up a PoE switch that has gigabit PoE ports as well? So I'm guessing connecting the NVR straight to the switch won't be a problem. Thank you for the help so far!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
so should I pick up a PoE switch that has gigabit PoE ports as well?
Strictly, Gigabit is not needed purely to support individual camera traffic, but there is the aggregate camera traffic entering the NVR, so as there isn't a big price difference it would be as well to have Gigabit ports all through. You might also add other devices in the future.

Reaction score
You are right - may as well go gigabit all the way then. Thank you for the help!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning out my cable runs and I wanted to know if you can just connect the NVR to an external PoE switch instead of running the NVR LAN port all the way back to the router. ...
Hi Shanecrow99

I would recommend planning to minimizing the pieces of equipment, not the length of the cat6/cat5e cable you plan to use.
Less pieces of equipment serially connected = more reliable setup.
Cable is affordable.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I would recommend planning to minimizing the pieces of equipment, not the length of the cat6/cat5e cable you plan to use.
The OP needs the PoE switch for the cameras - and the router is also required.
There appears not to be any equipment that can be eliminated.
What did you have in mind?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The OP needs the PoE switch for the cameras - and the router is also required.
There appears not to be any equipment that can be eliminated.
What did you have in mind?
Hi Alastairstevenson,

Thanks, I may have confused this with someone else's issue. ( iirc wanting to minimize cables and place switches closer to the cameras in places like the attic )

Frankf77

n3wb
Reaction score
hi, i realise this post is a couple of years old but I have a similar issue where im being advised to connect my poe switch direct to the LAN on the nvr and not the router, but if I do that, how do I connect the nvr to the router for remote access purposes?

many thanks for any help