Cannot access Hikvision Cameras

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The outputs are 3.3v or 5v, i can move the jumper to whatever i require. Then DTR,rx, tx, vcc, cts and gnd.
3.3v, Rx, Tx, GND are all that's needed.
Plus the wired connector for the board - 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH type.

Bartley69

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In my pic you can see I have heaps of 1.5mm jumper cables, would they not do the trick?

Bartley69

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't want to be a pain, but are you still able to help me mate?

Bartley69

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah ok, yeah I've placed an order but they have to come from China, i will repost when they arrive, Thanks mate.

Bartley69

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So, I have no idea what to do now? How do I got about it? Cheers.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So, I have no idea what to do now? How do I got about it? Cheers.
The idea is to connect up the serial console and start exploring why you can't connect to the cameras.
So the first thing to do is get the serial console access working, and capture a transcript after power on.

There are some pictures of the wiring hookup - but I'd going to make a big, big assumption that all these wired 4-pin JST ZH connectors come with the same colour code, as do the PL-2303HX USB convertor. You never know. But check your convertor against the signal names and colours below.
And if the connector colours are white, yellow, black, red.

So -
4-pin conn USB Signal
Red Black GND
Yellow Green TX
Black White RX
USB Red Power - do not connect.
Connector White Do not connect.

Plug in the USB convertor, use Windows Device Manager to find the COM port assigned to it.
Download / install / start PuTTY Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)
Create and save a serial connection template with baud=115200 8 bits no parity for the COM port in question.

Power on the camera, wait while it boots.

Hint:
PuTTY has a large, configurable, rollback buffer, can be copied to the clipboard with the menu at the top left for pasting / editing etc.
The forum has handy 'code' tags under the + of the Edit toolbar that make it easy for people to read lengthy code sections,

Good luck!