Cannot connect to cameras (server) via Blue Iris App

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
default port is 80 so when i tested lizz..... i was prompted for a user name and password...didnt go any futher but understand that ip cams and low end internet devices have poor security and its very easy to break the password...
Thats why the best solution is using a VPN, but thats a whole other subject...

alitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
whaht was the issue in the end? What did the professional fix?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
whaht was the issue in the end? What did the professional fix?
he fixed his mess of settings...you have to have some very basic network knowledge that the op was lacking....

Reaction score
I am trying to fix a similar issue as Lizzy Leff. My modem was recently changed by our internet service provider and we lost our remote connection to blue iris. Our internet service provider techs told us that the new platform they are running will not support static IP addresses. They said to use a dynamic dns service like no-ip.com. I went ahead with that and created a hostname and configured everything correctly. The problem I am having now seems to be with my router. I am using a Netgear router model WNDR4300. After going to port forwarding and attempting to set up a custom service for my WAN reflecting the new hostname and service from no-ip.com, I get a message that the port I am trying to use, port 81, is configured to something else despite the fact that I had deleted the old blue iris service thinking that by doing that I would free up port 81 for the new one. My external IP address and my no-ip hostname's address are identical so things look good on that end. When I use the canyouseeme.org open port finder tool, every port that I enter comes up as connection timed out and the same message comes up when using the blue iris remote connection wizard. Suggestions anyone, I am not a tech wizard and can use some help here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am trying to fix a similar issue as Lizzy Leff. My modem was recently changed by our internet service provider and we lost our remote connection to blue iris. Our internet service provider techs told us that the new platform they are running will not support static IP addresses. They said to use a dynamic dns service like no-ip.com. I went ahead with that and created a hostname and configured everything correctly. The problem I am having now seems to be with my router. I am using a Netgear router model WNDR4300. After going to port forwarding and attempting to set up a custom service for my WAN reflecting the new hostname and service from no-ip.com, I get a message that the port I am trying to use, port 81, is configured to something else despite the fact that I had deleted the old blue iris service thinking that by doing that I would free up port 81 for the new one. My external IP address and my no-ip hostname's address are identical so things look good on that end. When I use the canyouseeme.org open port finder tool, every port that I enter comes up as connection timed out and the same message comes up when using the blue iris remote connection wizard. Suggestions anyone, I am not a tech wizard and can use some help here.
Set a different port, try 8585.
Your host name can be anything, it doesnt have to match your ip address, that is the entire point.
you can also use blue iris built in quasi ddns service.
To properly secure your system, you should not port forward. See the vpn primer for noobs thread.

Reaction score
Every port that I try to use comes up as "error-connection timed out" on the open port finder tool, same as on the remote access test of the blue iris connection wizard (operation timed out.) I did manage to open up port 21 for blue iris on my router. I might eventually go with vpn, but I am not currently too concerned about hackers into my cameras for the time being. The Blue Iris quasi ddns service sounds interesting but have no idea how to access it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Every port that I try to use comes up as "error-connection timed out" on the open port finder tool, same as on the remote access test of the blue iris connection wizard (operation timed out.) I did manage to open up port 21 for blue iris on my router. I might eventually go with vpn, but I am not currently too concerned about hackers into my cameras for the time being. The Blue Iris quasi ddns service sounds interesting but have no idea how to access it.
First of all security concern is not the hackers will have access to your camera... It said they will have total control over your PC and all the devices on your network.
Second select Port 8585 as the web server port in blueiris.... Then setup port forwarding for Port 8585 and the IP address of the blueiris server.. if you do this correctly the port will show open.
Blueiris ddns service is explained in The Help file

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Port 8585 has been selected as the web server port in blue iris; also has been enabled in port forwarding on the router but still the canyouseeme.org tool says the port cannot be seen as the connection is timed out. Web server IP address looks correct as well.
you didnt do it correctly. post screen shots

T.J

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello. I am able to connect remotely by phone or mobile but not to a local computer. Does anybody know the fix of this? It was working before, but now when we go on a desktop computer, it cannot reach. But when we go on a mobile phone or tablet, it works.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello. I am able to connect remotely by phone or mobile but not to a local computer. Does anybody know the fix of this? It was working before, but now when we go on a desktop computer, it cannot reach. But when we go on a mobile phone or tablet, it works.
Use the local Ip
Some modem/router combo units will not allow you to use the external IP locally.
Don't forget to include the port