Cannot get NVR to recognize camera's!

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a NVR Hikvision 7608NI-SE2/8P with Firmware 3.3.6 and Hikvision IP camera DS-2CD2335-I with firmware 5.3.5. The cameras are from China but have the English menus.

Initially when I purchased these the seller commented that there would be a conflict between the NVR firmware and the IP camera firmware and to allow plug & play to set the camera password to the same as the NVR. Needless to say that is still not solving the problem of the camera's not being plug and play.

I have downloaded both SADP and IVMS4200 and neither of these are able to find the cameras on the network (plugged into the NVR or directly to my router)

I have double checked the cat5 terminations and the cameras do have power to them. The default camera IP does not take me to the camera interface, it simply refuses to load the browser.

Admittedly I am a total newb when it comes to networking, but I am at a loss as to why I cannot get the plug & play feature on this NVR to work. I even pulled a brand new camera out of the box connected it to the NVR and it still refused to find the camera via plug and play! The whole idea was to buy the matching Hikvision equipment to allow for easy plug and play operation.

It seems to me I could be facing two issues here, the first is the firmware conflict with the NVR and camera, and the next would be a networking issue.

Obviously, I need some help here, so please treat me with kid gloves as I try to figure this out with your help.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have downloaded both SADP and IVMS4200 and neither of these are able to find the cameras on the network (plugged into the NVR or directly to my router)
Sometimes in troubleshooting a problem it's good go get back to basics.
If SADP (V3.x if you downloaded it?) can't see a camera on the LAN, then you don't need to worry about the NVR for now.
For info, SADP will find a camera even when it's IP address is not on the same segment as the PC it's running on.

A dumb question, for which apologies : How are you powering the camera when it's not plugged in to the NVR PoE ports?
You will need either a PoE injector / switch or a 12v 1A power supply.

Another thing to try (and you will need to do this for when you add the cameras manually to the NVR) as Plug and Play won't work with the 2335 and that NVR.
Plug a camera into an NVR PoE port.
Connect your PC (don't use WiFi) to another PoE port.
Run SADP.
You will see the camera, for sure.
After that, you'll need to set the camera IP address to match the IP address of the PoE port you have the camera connected to. And the default gateway to 192.168.254.1 assuming you also see the NVR on that same address in SADP.
In the NVR web GUI, or via the VGA/HDMI interface, change the mode of that PoE port to Manual (not Plug and Play), leave protocol=Hikvision, add the camera password, leave the port=8000
After that, the camera will work OK.

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question the cameras only have power via NVR. I am not using any other source for power.

I was under the impression I could connect the camera to the NVR and the NVR to the router. The camera would get power from the NVR and the router would feed the network access to the NVR (thus the cameras).

I have one Ethernet connection on the back of my PC. This is connected to my router which is connected to the modem which of course allows me network access and WIFI. I need WIFI for other parts of my home.

So my question is how do I connect the PC to the NVR and not lose network access? Or am I misunderstanding the instructions?

Thanks again for the help, sorry about being such an idiot when it comes to this. :sad2:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So my question is how do I connect the PC to the NVR and not lose network access? Or am I misunderstanding the instructions?
Ethernet cable from PC to an unused PoE port on the NVR.
This arrangement just temporarily to allow SADP to be able to see and access the cameras so that you can configure their IP address and gateway to match what the NVR needs in order to see them.

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Ethernet cable from PC to an unused PoE port on the NVR.
This arrangement just temporarily to allow SADP to be able to see and access the cameras so that you can configure their IP address and gateway to match what the NVR needs in order to see them.
Thanks again for the help.

I did as you suggested. I connected the NVR directly to the modem and then my PC to the NVR. It pulled up the NVR and IP address of the NVR with no issues, however the cameras did not show up again. Is it possible to have power to the cameras but have an incorrect termination? I can see the camera power on (when looking at it) as well as the power consumption via the NVR interface.

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Update on the issues.

I connected the PC directly to the NVR (as suggested before) but this time I used a stock cat5 wire (store bought) and a stock camera (right out of the box) the camera appeared on SADP! This leads me to believe that somewhere my termination is faulty. The color codes line up perfectly but I am going to investigate more into the cat5 wire to see if maybe it is a jack connection issue.

As soon as I am able to determine and hopefully fix the cat5 wire issue I am going to report back for further instructions on completing the process.

At least now I know I am dealing with a cat5 termination issue!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Update on the issues.

I connected the PC directly to the NVR (as suggested before) but this time I used a stock cat5 wire (store bought) and a stock camera (right out of the box) the camera appeared on SADP! This leads me to believe that somewhere my termination is faulty. The color codes line up perfectly but I am going to investigate more into the cat5 wire to see if maybe it is a jack connection issue.

As soon as I am able to determine and hopefully fix the cat5 wire issue I am going to report back for further instructions on completing the process.

At least now I know I am dealing with a cat5 termination issue!
Once again, Have you terminated the cables to the 568B standard? When you say the color codes line up perfectly it tells me that you chose a random order but matched them on both sides..no good. You MUST use the 568 standard.

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, the color codes I am speaking of are the T-568B Straight-Through Ethernet Cable standard you are speaking of. I did not accidentally create the T-568A cable but may have screwed up on the jack in same way. I need to inspect that area and look for my error so I can fix it. I will be once again using the 568B color guide to terminate the new wire.

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Update!

I fixed the termination on the cat5 wires. The SADP program can now detect the cameras via the previous instructions on how to connect them. However, now that I have the IP address of the cameras I still cannot get them to connect on the network. When I input the camera IP address via the NVR interface I simply get nothing. I cannot access the cameras via the interface or directly from the IP address.

I am also getting a strange user password error on the camera here and there. First it was with one camera (say camera 4) and I fixed that by changing the channel number to the correct number (it was listed as 1) and then it switched to the same error message but this time for camera 3. This camera is listed on the correct channel (it really is 3) so I have no idea why the password error is being listed.

Made a little progress but still more to go. Appreciate more information on how to proceed.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot access the cameras via the interface or directly from the IP address.
SADP will find the cameras even when their IP address is on a different segment from that of the PC it's running on.
If you wanted to access the cameras directly when the laptop is wired to a PoE port, you'd need to change the laptop IP address to be in that range, for example 192.168.254.100
But you shouldn't need to do that.

My suggestion to try:
On the NVR web GUI, under Camera Management, pick a PoE channel you want to add a camera to.
Use 'Modify' to change the mode to Manual instead of Plug and Play.
Note down the IP address the NVR says is in use for that channel.
Keep protocol=Hikvision, port=8000 (I'm assuming you have not customised this in the camera), set the known admin password, OK to save the config.

With the laptop wired to a spare PoE port, and the camera plugged in to the PoE port you've picked above, set the camera IP address to match that you noted down above, it will likely be something like 192.168.254.5 or so.
Change the default gateway to the same address you noted down, but replacing the last digit with a '1', for example 192.168.254.1

Go to the NVR web GUI and check Live View - the camera should show.

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
SADP will find the cameras even when their IP address is on a different segment from that of the PC it's running on.
If you wanted to access the cameras directly when the laptop is wired to a PoE port, you'd need to change the laptop IP address to be in that range, for example 192.168.254.100
But you shouldn't need to do that.

My suggestion to try:
On the NVR web GUI, under Camera Management, pick a PoE channel you want to add a camera to.
Use 'Modify' to change the mode to Manual instead of Plug and Play.
Note down the IP address the NVR says is in use for that channel.
Keep protocol=Hikvision, port=8000 (I'm assuming you have not customised this in the camera), set the known admin password, OK to save the config.

With the laptop wired to a spare PoE port, and the camera plugged in to the PoE port you've picked above, set the camera IP address to match that you noted down above, it will likely be something like 192.168.254.5 or so.
Change the default gateway to the same address you noted down, but replacing the last digit with a '1', for example 192.168.254.1

Go to the NVR web GUI and check Live View - the camera should show.
I went into the NVR interface and the camera IP appear to be correct. The other settings were fine as well as I have not messed with them. The "status" is blank and the passwords are set as "strong" for each of the cameras connected.

Using SADP is the only way to change each cameras gateway individually. The NVR web interface has a gateway setting that appears to be for all cameras. This gateway appears to be set correctly (192.168.254.1) However, while using SADP I noticed the cameras gateway listed are not the same as the NVR or the static gateway set via the NVR web interface. When I try to change the cameras gateway (from SADP) from the one listed to 192.168.254.1 I get 'device rejected"

Of course, at this time I still cannot view the cameras via the live view.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
However, while using SADP I noticed the cameras gateway listed are not the same as the NVR or the static gateway set via the NVR web interface.
What gateway value is listed on the cameras?
Is DHCP unticked when you see the cameras with SADP?

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Really need some suggestions here. Somebody out there has to have an idea on how to get this issue resolved so I can finally have access to my cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you re-state the problem as it now is, as you've made some changes and fixes that have progressed it from the original.

You can connect the PC (temporarily) to a spare NVR PoE port, and with SADP you can both see and set the camera IP addresses, matching them to what you see that the NVR has assigned to the corresponding channels?
With the NVR PoE channel set to Manual, the correct password specified, protocol=Hikvision, port=8000 - the cameras should appear.

Plug&Play

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! The issue is the gateway address. I cannot get the correct gateway address to change for the camera. When I try to change the gateway on the camera via SADP I get device rejected. That is the only place I know of to change the gateway.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could that be because SADP has not been given a valid password for the camera, to allow changes?

An alternative way that should make things clear is as follows:
Wire the PC to a spare PoE port on the NVR.
Change the PC IP address to something in the same range as is used on the NVR PoE ports, for example 192.168.254.100.
Using the browser, connect directly to the camera using the camera IP address.
If you can log in, you know your password is good.
Then you can go directly to the camera network configuration and fix the gateway.
As long as the NVR PoE channel that the camera is on is set to 'Manual', the gateway should remain as you set it.