Can't Connect

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I can't connect with my iphone app. I troubleshot quite a bit and came to the conclusion the only way to fix this is to remove the app completely and reinstall. I can reach It from another wifi network with a different IP range or via my VPN but if I am on the same subnet everything goes wrong. Also, I can connect to the blue iris server via browser without a problem on any network. There is something fishy with the app because now I am back in the same position - where i will have to reinstall in order to use the app locally. Anyone else see this behavior or know how I can formally report the bug?

Thanks!

Neil

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, just began seeing it a few days ago. BI Server version is 5.4.7.11 from 6/11/21.
I can't access via LAN anymore, never could via WAN because of AT&T Fixed Wireless CGNAT (no public WAN IP) but LAN's worked for 2 years.
Like you I can use UI3 via LAN with no problem, even on my iPhone...just not with BI app.
I've doubled checked phone app server settings, uninstall/re-installed app with no joy; it accesses 2 other BI servers across town via cell network no problems.
I rebooted my AT&T modem/router, no joy.
I'm puzzled; gave it up for now, got too many irons in the fire right now to spend much more time on it; maybe in a couple of days or so.

Reaction score
My phone will not bring up ui3. It was working with no problem until a power failure on my bi system. Now my android phone will not connect. Whats up with this. I have tried everything i can think of. Will not connect to a computer either that is off site. Can anyone help?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My phone will not bring up ui3. It was working with no problem until a power failure on my bi system. Now my android phone will not connect. Whats up with this. I have tried everything i can think of. Will not connect to a computer either that is off site. Can anyone help?
Your issue is completely different than those in this thread. There can be many reasons for your problem. Likely your pc's ip address changed because you failed to reserve it or make it static.

Reaction score
I changed the IP address to the new WAN internet address as shown on the web server page. The new address will not bring up UI3 on my android nor on an off site computer. I have a password assigned to the account on one computer monitor. I assumed that the android would change the web page to UI3 when the WAN was addressed.
I can use the LAN number and it brings up the account as UI3 and then I can sign in, so the LAN works ok. Just don't know what I am doing wrong. I have 30 cameras on the system and two computers that monitor it. Both computers have the same LAN and WAN addresses on the web server pages but one has a password and the other doesn't. We have had BI for a number of years and are on BI5. Haven't been able to figure out what is going on with UI3 since the WAN # change. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Yes, I know what a LAN and a WAN is. Just misstated on my original post.
I even shut the one computer off so only one would be on. No change. Still cant get the WAN address to bring up BI UI3 on an off site computer or my cell phone.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I know what a LAN and a WAN is. Just misstated on my original post.
I even shut the one computer off so only one would be on. No change. Still cant get the WAN address to bring up BI UI3 on an off site computer or my cell phone.
For remote access, have you forwarded a port (for BI) in your router to the BI server's static IP (not recommended) or do you have a VPN setup (recommended) ?

Reaction score
I did not forward a port and don't have a VPN. It was working good until the power failed. It came up with a different WAN and cant access that WAN.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I repeat my question from my post #7: Is the BI server's LAN IP static? If not then it could have changed with the power outage.
And if no VPN, in order to access the BI server remotely, an incoming request to the BI server's port on the WAN IP has to be forwarded to the BI server's LAN IP; this would be done in the router.

Reaction score
It did change. But the new wan number will not bring up the ui3 when it is addressed. All i have ever done before is used the new wan number as the address. Didnt have to do any kind of forwarding.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It did change. But the new wan number will not bring up the ui3 when it is addressed. All i have ever done before is used the new wan number as the address. Didnt have to do any kind of forwarding.
You may think you weren't forwarding but you were. If you used the BI magic setup for access it will forward the port for you.

Secure Network

VPN Primer

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^
@Harold Proctor , you WERE likely forwarding a port to a specific LAN IP (what it was in the BI server when you set it up) and after the power outage that IP has changed...the LAN IP, not the WAN IP.

Let's say the LAN IP of the BI server was 192.168.1.88 before the outage and now it's 192.168.1.96...the router is still forwarding to the former IP, 192.168.1.88 and NOT the current IP of 192.168.1.96. Does that make sense? I know of no other way to explain it.

You need to make the BI's server LAN IP static (not DHCP), forward the port to that IP or more recommended, set up a VPN on your router.

Reaction score
The WAN IP did change. The LAN IP stayed the same. The WAN definitely did change.
The two computer monitors on the network are about a half a mile apart. I have the network linked with a high speed link between the two locations. Most of the cameras are linked into the high speed network that feeds the computers. Of course that doesn't matter with the problem of not being able to get the WAN address.