Can't keep correct time

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The address of the BI PC on the second NIC and the address of the cameras must be on the same subnet 192.168.0.xxx . Provide a diagram of your network with manufacture, model and IP addresses.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The address of the BI PC on the second NIC and the address of the cameras must be on the same subnet 192.168.0.xxx . Provide a diagram of your network with manufacture, model and IP addresses.
going back and double checking all the steps now.

Network diagram

9 cameras are IP-hdw5231r-ze 192.168.1.17 & 20-26
2 are nelly's nc326-cu (similar time hikvision cube, I believe) ip addresses are 192.168.1.18 & 192.168.1.19

thanks for help

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
That's the first thing I disable on my Windows machines :)

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem but not using Blue Iris, or any software other than the cameras. Is there still a fix without BI?

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just put one of THESE on your camera LAN :)

I'll look into it thanks. It's weird how I have 2 cameras setup the same and only the one with the latest firmware gives me issues and the other doesn't. They are both IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Or you could install the NetTime software on your BI server for free. It works well.
I only have my personal pc and I turn it off at night. From what I remember reading in another thread, it was suggested to have a second dedicated machine running 24/7. My girlfriend is an energy hawk and would never allow another computer to be on all the time. If that wasn't the case I would use BI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless your cameras drift seriously badly, it would be fine to just let your personal PC be the NTP server. Or if you are savvy with linux at all, you could use a raspberry pi as a cheaper NTP server. The device from ebay has the neat feature of not requiring internet access to get the time though :)

Reaction score
I'll look into it thanks. It's weird how I have 2 cameras setup the same and only the one with the latest firmware gives me issues and the other doesn't. They are both IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.
Firmware updates can sometimes scramble your TCP/IP settings without you realizing it. One symptom will be that camera time will no longer sync to a network time server.

Check the TCP/IP settings for both cameras under the Network menu, as opposed to the Time&Date settings under the General menu. The two cameras should have the same network settings with the exception of different IP addresses. Does the malfunctioning camera have different Default Gateway or DNS settings compared to the one that correctly syncs?

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 11.12.48 AM.png

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Firmware updates can sometimes scramble your TCP/IP settings without you realizing it. One symptom will be that camera time will no longer sync to a network time server.

Check the TCP/IP settings for both cameras under the Network menu, as opposed to the Time&Date settings under the General menu. The two cameras should have the same network settings with the exception of different IP addresses. Does the malfunctioning camera have different Default Gateway or DNS settings compared to the one that correctly syncs?

View attachment 70615
I unchecked DST and it looked like it worked but I will keep this option in mind it it happens again.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unless your cameras drift seriously badly, it would be fine to just let your personal PC be the NTP server. Or if you are savvy with linux at all, you could use a raspberry pi as a cheaper NTP server. The device from ebay has the neat feature of not requiring internet access to get the time though :)
My pc specs
Acer Aspire TC-885-UA91 Desktop, 9th Gen Intel Core i3-9100, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD,

I'll consider Blue Iris if I can use my personal pc but doesn't it have to be on 24/7 ? Or would the clips just save on the camera SD card when the pc isn't on?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My pc specs
Acer Aspire TC-885-UA91 Desktop, 9th Gen Intel Core i3-9100, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD,

I'll consider Blue Iris if I can use my personal pc but doesn't it have to be on 24/7 ? Or would the clips just save on the camera SD card when the pc isn't on?
Yes, BI is intended to run 24/7.
You can also record to the camera SD card for a backup, but that has nothing to do with BI.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just checked the time and once again it's back to the wrong time off by an hour as usual. I checked the TCP/IP settings are everything is the same accept the IP and MAC address. What isn't the same is the firmware version. The camera that keeps the correct time has firmware 2.622.0000000.23.R, Build Date: 2018-03-30.

The camera that can't keep the correct time has firmware 2.800.0000008.0.R, Build Date: 2019-06-19. What I don't understand is why both cameras say each version is up to date. I'm thinking about loading the version 2.622 on the camera with the issues to see if that will fix it.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just checked the time and once again it's back to the wrong time off by an hour as usual. I checked the TCP/IP settings are everything is the same accept the IP and MAC address. What isn't the same is the firmware version. The camera that keeps the correct time has firmware 2.622.0000000.23.R, Build Date: 2018-03-30.

The camera that can't keep the correct time has firmware 2.800.0000008.0.R, Build Date: 2019-06-19. What I don't understand is why both cameras say each version is up to date. I'm thinking about loading the version 2.622 on the camera with the issues to see if that will fix it.
The firmware update feature in the cameras setup gui, never has worked. Forget it exists.
Find the latest firmware on Dahua's website or from your vendor you purchased the cam from.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The firmware update feature in the cameras setup gui, never has worked. Forget it exists.
Find the latest firmware on Dahua's website or from your vendor you purchased the cam from.

i went to Dahua website, downloaded latest firmware version and when attempting to upload it gives me a message file format error. Am
i supposed to unzip the folder and load each file separately?

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried loading the files one at a time and only 3 out of 4 loaded. It's not showing version
2.800.0000013.0.R, Build Date: 2019-12-02.

Night Owl

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed that the time zone on the good camera is GMT 07:00 and the problem camera is (UTC 8:00) Pacific Daylight. I don't see the GMT option available on the problem camera.

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I noticed that the time zone on the good camera is GMT 07:00 and the problem camera is (UTC 8:00) Pacific Daylight. I don't see the GMT option available on the problem camera.
GMT and UTC are not technically the same things HOWEVER they are interchangeable for these purposes. G is a time zone; U is a time standard.... but since they actually use the same 'zero' they work equally in this case. It's the number that's important, here.