Cat 6 cable issue....

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use scotch 130C (3M) for waterproofing RF junctions, but I often put a thin layer of regular electrical tape on first around the connectors themselves so the connection is easier to access if you have to take it apart again. Overlap past the electrical tape with the rubber tape to seal the connection. Also as @looney2ns recommends use di-electric grease in the connections themselves before assembling them. This displaces air that can become saturated with humidity that can cause condensation and corrosion. This would certainly work for RG45 connections in exposed locations like in outdoor junction boxes.

As far as cat6 goes, think the guage is 24? I see in the specs (post #9) is says awg23? Not sure if I have ever heard of #23, it's usually #24 for cat5 and cat6 I believe, so maybe #23 would be better for longer distances. I have up to 400' of cat6 (STP) connecting buildings in my yard and I get gigibyte ethernet speeds at all locations, but almost all of it is buried. Hanging it in the trees would make a great antenna for picking up noise with unshielded cable IMHO.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use scotch 130C (3M) for waterproofing RF junctions, but I often put a thin layer of regular electrical tape on first around the connectors themselves so the connection is easier to access if you have to take it apart again. Overlap past the electrical tape with the rubber tape to seal the connection. Also as @looney2ns recommends use di-electric grease in the connections themselves before assembling them. This displaces air that can become saturated with humidity that can cause condensation and corrosion. This would certainly work for RG45 connections in exposed locations like in outdoor junction boxes.

As far as cat6 goes, think the guage is 24? I see in the specs (post #9) is says awg23? Not sure if I have ever heard of #23, it's usually #24 for cat5 and cat6 I believe, so maybe #23 would be better for longer distances. I have up to 400' of cat6 (STP) connecting buildings in my yard and I get gigibyte ethernet speeds at all locations, but almost all of it is buried. Hanging it in the trees would make a great antenna for picking up noise with unshielded cable IMHO.
FYI - I have seen Cat6 in both AWG23 and 24.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not implying you didn't see it. I definitely believe you.