Cat5e Fishing Advise

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been browsing the site for a month now and just now created an account to post. I'm helping my mother install a 16 camera Lorex system in/outside her house. I've got a plan to place a majority of the cameras at around 8-10 ft on the soffit of the house that surrounds a majority of the house. Having practically no experience in fishing cables or working on home exteriors other than what I've learned so far online, I'm not sure how to best approach the install and fishing. I know that I should be able to cut a hole in the soffit and use a fish rod to push a cat5e cable into the attic. Does anyone have an advise on how to best run the cables and how to best secure the cameras (turret and bullet) to the soffit (aluminum) since it seems flimsy?

The system she got was a 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 16 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 250FT Night Vision (4KHDIP1688NV)

Thanks!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been browsing the site for a month now and just now created an account to post. I'm helping my mother install a 16 camera Lorex system in/outside her house. I've got a plan to place a majority of the cameras at around 8-10 ft on the soffit of the house that surrounds a majority of the house. Having practically no experience in fishing cables or working on home exteriors other than what I've learned so far online, I'm not sure how to best approach the install and fishing. I know that I should be able to cut a hole in the soffit and use a fish rod to push a cat5e cable into the attic. Does anyone have an advise on how to best run the cables and how to best secure the cameras (turret and bullet) to the soffit (aluminum) since it seems flimsy?

The system she got was a 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with 16 Outdoor 4K 8MP IP Cameras, 250FT Night Vision (4KHDIP1688NV)

Thanks!
Hi Dunn,

Nice system!

Did you see my notes on SD? I've got some links there.

A lot depends on the attic - do you have plenty of space to crawl to the corners? If you can, drill a hole for the cable from the attic side next to a stud or other wood support by the location you want to install the camera. Insert a fishing stick, attach cat5e/cat6, use electrical tape to secure, go outside and pull....

Personally I really like the PFA121 for those boxy bullets. If you do not have a stud behind the location you want to place them in the soffit, perhaps installing a nice section of 2x4 would work well. There are 4 screw holes in the PFA121 - and I only screwed in 2 longer screws into a stud - and 2 shorter screws on the other 2 holes. It holds up well that way.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Dunn,

Nice system!

Did you see my notes on SD? I've got some links there.

A lot depends on the attic - do you have plenty of space to crawl to the corners? If you can, drill a hole for the cable from the attic side next to a stud or other wood support by the location you want to install the camera. Insert a fishing stick, attach cat5e/cat6, use electrical tape to secure, go outside and pull....

Personally I really like the PFA121 for those boxy bullets. If you do not have a stud behind the location you want to place them in the soffit, perhaps installing a nice section of 2x4 would work well. There are 4 screw holes in the PFA121 - and I only screwed in 2 longer screws into a stud - and 2 shorter screws on the other 2 holes. It holds up well that way.
Hi Mat200, thanks for the response! No, I haven't seen your notes can you link them?

The attic is an older farm house that has had an expansion added to the house... the attic is complex. Its a type of Truss style attic, but it extends downward past the second story with eaves (i.e. the second story rooms have slanted roofs along the edge due to the roof) and the expansion has a vaulted ceiling so there is no attic to access in that part of the expansion... so this makes access somewhat challenging hence why I'm not sure how to proceed. I've attached a google satellite image to give some context (red arrow pointing to the expansion with no attic to access)

2x4 behind the soffit sounds like it'd probably work, good idea! I'd just need to be able to remove some panels without excessive damage.

Yeah, I already ordered the PFA121 for my camera models. Might paint them a different color since the come white, my cameras are black, and the house is clay brick with grey siding.

Cheers!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dunn,

I would suggest painting the junction boxes and cameras grey or brick, would look nice.

Please see the section starting with:

Installation recommendations and notes:
[*]1) DIY - YES you can do this!
  • Plenty of resources online to help guide you from videos on youtube, blogs, to forums. ipcamtalk.com for instance has a large number of us from Slickdealers doing DIY installs to save some cash.
Ref: Notes in wiki
Lorex / Dahua OEM 6x 4K / 8MP security camera system w/ 8 port POE IP NVR 2TB HDD kit at Costco B&M YMMV for $799.99

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Would you or anyone else recommend running lorex's provided 100 ft Cat5e, or buy a bulk roll and doing it yourself. I ask this as a quality question as I already know about the reason to do this in case I want to return the bundle. Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you or anyone else recommend running lorex's provided 100 ft Cat5e, or buy a bulk roll and doing it yourself. I ask this as a quality question as I already know about the reason to do this in case I want to return the bundle. Thanks.
Hi Dunn,

I prefer to use Bulk cable, also some of the included cables in kits are CCA and imho not worth it for me to take time to install.

Bulk cable = smaller holes to drill, better cable lengths cut, no rats nest of wires in attic / basement

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
This might be a silly question, but stranded or non-stranded (solid)?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat200, thanks for the response! No, I haven't seen your notes can you link them?

The attic is an older farm house that has had an expansion added to the house... the attic is complex. Its a type of Truss style attic, but it extends downward past the second story with eaves (i.e. the second story rooms have slanted roofs along the edge due to the roof) and the expansion has a vaulted ceiling so there is no attic to access in that part of the expansion... so this makes access somewhat challenging hence why I'm not sure how to proceed. I've attached a google satellite image to give some context (red arrow pointing to the expansion with no attic to access)

2x4 behind the soffit sounds like it'd probably work, good idea! I'd just need to be able to remove some panels without excessive damage.

Yeah, I already ordered the PFA121 for my camera models. Might paint them a different color since the come white, my cameras are black, and the house is clay brick with grey siding.

Cheers!
These are priceless in an attic situation. With a helper, it's fairly easy to run the rod from the soffit, into the attic, attach cable and pull.
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Fiberglass-Wire-Pull-Rods/dp/B005LW4CFG/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1515958465&sr=1-5&keywords=wire+fishing+tool

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
These are priceless in an attic situation. With a helper, it's fairly easy to run the rod from the soffit, into the attic, attach cable and pull.
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Fiberglass-Wire-Pull-Rods/dp/B005LW4CFG/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1515958465&sr=1-5&keywords=wire+fishing+tool
Thanks looney2ns for the responses! Yep, ordered that exact one but found it cheaper at harbor freight! :) I got all my tools ordered now, I'll post back with some updates as I proceed with the install. Thanks guys.

3/16 in. x 33 Ft. Fiberglass Wire Running Kit

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dunn,

Remember to use electrical tape to secure the connectors of that fish pole - I nearly lost one of my end connectors in the wall the first time I used it. There after I put a little electrical tape on each joint and no more issues of the connectors coming lose!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Dunn,

Remember to use electrical tape to secure the connectors of that fish pole - I nearly lost one of my end connectors in the wall the first time I used it. There after I put a little electrical tape on each joint and no more issues of the connectors coming lose!
Or purchase a better set that won't have this problem.
https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-56312-Lo-Flex-12-Feet/dp/B00CQM3T6C/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1516127926&sr=1-5&keywords=klien+fish+rod

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's the same set I have and it has been a blessing; a VERY good purchase.

I also have the 12 ft. bigger brother to this telescoping fiberglass pole here and frankly, I think I'd like this smaller, lighter one. With it you reach out, add 2 feet arms length (total 12 feet) and either grab a cable or push a cable. The 2 way end fitting is sharp so it digs slightly into cable insulation and grabs the wire, pull or push.
The one I have is heavier and 2 ft. longer (12 ft.) and is a bear to reach out and hold with one arm while stooping under a roof or on your belly in a crawl space, but I am still glad I've had it the past 6 years. Besides, this 'mini' is half the cost. It has a clip-on LED flashlight as well!

10ft-mini-grabbit.jpg

Last edited:

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, those look like quality tools, but I already purchased the other one from harbor freight. I'll see how that one does.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, those look like quality tools, but I already purchased the other one from harbor freight. I'll see how that one does.
Absolutely; should work for your needs. I was having to fish 2-3 times a week in different scenarios (above suspended ceilings, attics, crawl spaces, down or thru walls, etc.) in different customer dwellings or businesses so I needed the flexibility afforded by different tools such as the screw-together rods, the telescoping pole or fish tape on a reel. I even have a straightened-out metal coat hanger for poking thru walls!

Once I fished four CAT-5e cables under a single wide trailer that had so much rat poison and mold under it no way was I crawling in there. I poked all 4 cables down from the room where the NVR was, lifted up the edge of the metal skirting and pulled them toward myself and out to the cams, barely had my head in there. The 'Grabber' was worth every penny that day; used it maybe a dozen more times after that, every 3rd or 4th job, before I dissolved my tiny LLC and retired.

Dunn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, got my system, setup the NVR location, mapped out my camera locations, and installed one camera in the garage. Couple of questions:

1. What do you think of the camera locations and "sample image" from the location (used my wifi app to screen shot the gopro live feed to my phone i.e poor quality image)? I have 7 cameras that will run through the eaves to the roof to a PoE Switch that will then run through a conduit to the basement where the NVR is. The other 4 cameras will run straight out of the basement. That leaves me with 5 bullet cameras to place later. I'm thinking about running conduit outside underground to a a few poles to monitor the dogs, drive way (dedicated license plate reading) barn, pond, and wood furnace. Also, the PoE witch would leave me 8 additional channels to play with later if needed... might be overkill. Thoughts??

2. I'm going to run the cables for the 4 cameras on the back side of the house through the gap in the concrete siding and rock siding (picture of is gap on the imgur site). Any suggestions for a flexible, small conduit to run in this gap to my junction boxes?

3. Best way to drill through brick exterior wall for the cable runs?

Thanks so much,
Dunn

() (without parentheses)

Snapper30

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Having practically no experience in fishing cables or working on home exteriors other than what I've learned so far online, I'm not sure how to best approach the install and fishing. I know that I should be able to cut a hole in the soffit and use a fish rod to push a cat5e cable into the attic. Does anyone have an advise on how to best run the cables and how to best secure the cameras (turret and bullet) to the soffit (aluminum) since it seems flimsy?
Welcome Dunn. One idea is to use PVC boards to mount your cameras. "Using Home Depot PVC to install outdoor cameras" I also saw a post where someone fastens the cams to flat stock and slips it into the channel where the soffit sits. You can slide the stock around to find the best camera location then secure with a couple screws. Search the site for soffit placement for more ideas.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good plug in Hammer Drill, not cordless, with a good masonry bit. Buy a spare bit or two. Try to drill in the mortar where possible.
Looking for some advice and direction!
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
AFC Cable Systems 1/2 x 25 ft. Non-Metallic Liquidtight Conduit-6002-22-00 - The Home Depot

You want to know who did it, not just what happened, so don't mount cams higher than 8ft.
Use this to help decide placement and views: IPVM Camera Calculator V3, keep PPF>100

Test all locations for suitability before drilling, make a temp test stand: 2x4, 5gal bucket, rocks or sand. test overnight.

If you think you will use that monitor much, you will wish it was higher off the floor.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good plug in Hammer Drill, not cordless, with a good masonry bit. Buy a spare bit or two. Try to drill in the mortar where possible.

Test all locations for suitability before drilling, make a temp test stand: 2x4, 5gal bucket, rocks or sand. test overnight.
Hi Dunn,

Looney2ns has some great info there.

Avoid going into the brick and plan any holes through the mortar. I would use bulk cat5e cable and junction boxes / wall mounts to allow me to make smaller holes.