Cat6 & rj-45

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it OK to connect an RJ-45 modular plug directly to the CAT6 solid cable at the camera end? I've learned that best practice at the computer/router end is a Keystone jack and then a commercial made stranded CAT6 cable, but since there is no movement of the cable at the camera seems like overkill.

Reaction score
Possible, really depends I suppose on the equipement you are connecting, how much room you have for proper bend radius, strain , etc. Not the proper way....but doable...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@dryfly, not only can you, but its the proper way to do this -without the Keystone. keystones jacks will simply attenuate the signal (an issue with long runs) and introduce another point of failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@dryfly, not only can you, but its the proper way to do this -without the Keystone. keystones jacks will simply attenuate the signal (an issue with long runs) and introduce another point of failure.
The few runs of CAT5 that I've used I've terminated the solid cable at both ends with standard RJ-45 modular jacks. I've now read, and it makes sense, that at the device end termination into a keystone jack and then a stranded jumper cable prevents a broken wire (and meets spec). I can see a cable being moved around and eventually broken, and I can see a commercially made jumper cable being much more reliable at t he connectors.

Also, it seems that terminating into a keystone jack is usually much more reliable than crimping a modular RJ-45. Guess it depends on the equipment and the person doing the crimping.

Seems ridiculous not to just do a modular RJ-45 at the camera.

Thanks,

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've put my homemade cat5e cables through a lot of torture over the years and besides a few broken rj45 clips, they all still work as far as I am aware. I don't actually like to use keystone jacks because I find them more troublesome to work with, believe it or not.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your preference. I've used keystone jacks and commercial patch cables for years throughout my house and have never had any problems. I have at least 20 in the house and a few more in my garage and shed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on your preference. I've used keystone jacks and commercial patch cables for years throughout my house and have never had any problems. I have at least 20 in the house and a few more in my garage and shed.
Yes, but for a camera install at the camera end in makes no sense at all. You are also forced to use a junction box to place the keystone. It can actually make things worse on long runs. I have actually never encountered an internally broken solid copper ethernet cable.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I didn't use any junction boxes with mine. I drilled 1" holes in my floor for the keystone jacks and used a keystone wall plate to cover them. The jacks snap into the wall plate. The one in the image is for my security system but most of the others are for cameras.

Most go directly to the cameras pigtail connection from a PoE switch connected at the router end.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't use any junction boxes with mine. I drilled 1" holes in my floor for the keystone jacks and used a keystone wall plate to cover them. The jacks snap into the wall plate. The one in the image is for my security system but most of the others are for cameras.

The op was discussing the connection on the camera end.

Reaction score
Unless there is a good amount of space for proper turn radius, a connector and then stranded patch is the way to go
Solid cat6 IMO is too stiff for the port of most equipment, especially resi - grade equipment we are talking here.

Crimping a 45 head on is is doable and it will work.
Whether it conforms to spec, industry standards, etc, is another issue....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless there is a good amount of space for proper turn radius, a connector and then stranded patch is the way to go
Solid cat6 IMO is too stiff for the port of most equipment, especially resi - grade equipment we are talking here.

Crimping a 45 head on is is doable and it will work.
Whether it conforms to spec, industry standards, etc, is another issue....
On an outdoor camera? too stiff for the port on a camera? Where are you mounting this jack? I dont understand. If I saw someone install a jack and cable on a camera install I would make them rip it out and do it propery.

Reaction score
I don't install cctv cams but in my line of work, DC, yes, a crimped head will be done in a pinch - temporarily. The tolerances for cat6 are tighter, and even if a custom patch was made, it will be tested on the DTX tester and not just a continuity test.
We may have different standards/approaches when it comes to data....and our tolerances may be much tighter...

Good domestic made cat6....berktek, commscope, mohawk, systimax -- solid copper+separator is awfully stiff for a port.
The offshore stuff is maybe more flexible and possibly more ~usable~ to be used direct to a port, but YMMV

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't install cctv cams but in my line of work, DC, yes, a crimped head will be done in a pinch - temporarily. The tolerances for cat6 are tighter, and even if a custom patch was made, it will be tested on the DTX tester and not just a continuity test.
We may have different standards/approaches when it comes to data....and our tolerances may be much tighter...

Good domestic made cat6....berktek, commscope, mohawk, systimax -- solid copper+separator is awfully stiff for a port.
The offshore stuff is maybe more flexible and possibly more ~usable~ to be used direct to a port, but YMMV
99% of the cameras have a pigtail with a female rj45 port...Installing a jack then cable is an improper method for IP cameras. It is a complete waste of time, introduces failure points and attenuates POE voltage in longer runs.

Reaction score
The few cameras I've seen (all Axis or Avigilon) all have standard ports on them with no pigtails. I suppose we've gone full circle on this topic but even for my planned install at home, I'm doing it by our industry practices, which is terminated onto a jackhead and then a patch cord. There is 1 area which I've considered doing a straight crimp (just due to how the cable is coming out the exterior wall , etc) but even as such, the mounting box has enough room for a head, and patch, so I'll probably do the same as such.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The few cameras I've seen (all Axis or Avigilon) all have standard ports on them with no pigtails. I suppose we've gone full circle on this topic but even for my planned install at home, I'm doing it by our industry practices, which is terminated onto a jackhead and then a patch cord. There is 1 area which I've considered doing a straight crimp (just due to how the cable is coming out the exterior wall , etc) but even as such, the mounting box has enough room for a head, and patch, so I'll probably do the same as such.
Its your house and you can do it as you wish..however it is not industry practice to do it this way. In fact, its bad practice. Even on the cams with port on them, the biggest benefit is that you can easily flush mount them. Where are you going to mount the keystone jack?

Reaction score
Intersting POV from the cctv side of things....is SOP to just crimp heads on all installs ? Even let's say on installs where you have a J box and you would typically run liquidtight to the camera .

I'm going with Dahua cams and they seem to offer a plethora of mounts *round and gooseneck mounts*

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Intersting POV from the cctv side of things....is SOP to just crimp heads on all installs ? Even let's say on installs where you have a J box and you would typically run liquidtight to the camera .

I'm going with Dahua cams and they seem to offer a plethora of mounts *round and gooseneck mounts*
Yes just a crimp and either their specialized waterproof cap or coax seal/silicon tape..I use the coax seal/silicon tape..

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm no longer a BICSI member and haven't kept up with recent changes, but I believe their Telecommunications Distribution Methods Manual (TDMM) made an exception in the last few years for IP cameras. In the past, horizontal cabling was specified to be terminated on keystone jacks at both ends. I think it is now an approved practice to terminate directly to a modular plug at the camera end for IP camera installations.

SoulkeepHL

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it OK to connect an RJ-45 modular plug directly to the CAT6 solid cable at the camera end? I've learned that best practice at the computer/router end is a Keystone jack and then a commercial made stranded CAT6 cable, but since there is no movement of the cable at the camera seems like overkill.
I feel like it all really boils down to this, is this going in a Corporate environment? or just your house? If it's at home, just make sure you match the RJ-45 to the cable type (solid vs stranded crimp connectors).

johngalt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, it is okay. Sorry, read through thread and forgot original question. There are category 6, rj-45's rated for solid conductors, even though stranded ones probably won't give you a problem.