CCTV Camera For My Needs - OFFLINE - No Internet Access

theORCHARD

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm too is looking for CCTV camera to fit my needs. All I require is a CCTV camera which doesn't require internet access (important) to work off an mobile/App device or off a Windows laptop. I've searched various online video tutorials which claim they can show you how to get an IP camera to work off a WIFI network with no internet access. All of which are not true it seems. Can anyone recommend me a camera which will work offline?

TIA

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any camera will do but you would have to use a camera and a wifi AP or the camera connected to a network switch.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm too is looking for CCTV camera to fit my needs. All I require is a CCTV camera which doesn't require internet access (important) to work off an mobile/App device or off a Windows laptop. I've searched various online video tutorials which claim they can show you how to get an IP camera to work off a WIFI network with no internet access. All of which are not true it seems. Can anyone recommend me a camera which will work offline?

TIA
It is true...as noted any ip camera will work offine...don't confuse cheap internet connected cloud cams with IP cams...don't use WiFi...see cliff notes above.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WIRED --
Easiest, most reliable and best video quality (RECOMMENDED):

Assign the IP camera a static IP, assign the PC or laptop a different static IP, both on same subnet (like 192.168.1.X) then connect together with an Ethernet cable. Open browser and input camera IP address and user/password, to view use cam's webGUI or use your choice of camera viewing software that works with your camera. Many cams provide a stream that can be viewed by VLC, a free player. This would be the easiest, most reliable and would provide the best quality of live video.

WIRELESS --
More difficult, least reliable and less video quality (NOT RECOMMENDED):

If absolutely mandatory to use a smartphone or tablet wirelessly (NOT recommended) instead of a wired laptop or PC to view, instead use a wireless router (not in service, not connected to Internet), disable DHCP in router, and insure it's LAN IP is on the same subnet as the camera. Once DHCP is disabled in the router it basically becomes a switch with a wireless access point, no routing required because you have already assigned a static IP to the camera and any device you want to use to view the camera will also need a static IP.

In the wireless configuration of the router, note the SSID (Wi-Fi name) and set up wireless security with WPA2 or WPA2-Personal, enter a wireless security code of your choice with at least 10 characters.

Connect the camera to the router with an Ethernet cable.

In the smartphone or tablet, turn on Wi-Fi and give the device a static IP, on same subnet as the router(like 192.168.1.X). Scan for Wi-Fi SSID, connect, input wireless security code when prompted. Once connected, open browser and input camera IP address and user/password. To view you can also use an IP camera viewer app (like TinyCam Pro, Live Cams Pro) configured as needed with make/model, stream URL, etc., user/password of camera.

This wireless setup only works inside your area within range of the wireless router.

Last edited:

theORCHARD

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the helpful links and replies everyone. I brought myself a CCTV camera which has its own software which I downloaded off the manufacturer's site. I've brought the PoE injector to power the camera and a wireless N router. I decided not to go with the WI-FI option and instead opted for a wired set up and I turned off WI-FI capability in router settings. The laptop acts like a DVR and records files into a folder. I've never had to do any of this stuff before. It all looked a bit daunting at first especially with the cliff notes guide. Me being a lil bit of a techie helped.

It all works great which I'm happy about. I had to spend a little more extra then I wanted to, but then that's the price you pay for extra added security. Thanks again!

Last edited:

theORCHARD

n3wb
Reaction score
I think, maybe, it's propose is that it allows the app to find the camera, because then the router assigns an IP to the camera (???) and that then registers on the app along with all its other details. :nervous: And I don't just think it would show any CCTV footage on the app without one. :idk: Whenever I launch the app, it finds the camera instantly.

Camera >> PoE Injector Adapter >> Router >> Laptop >> RECORD

Have I done everything correct? Would love some thoughts. Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think, maybe, it's propose is that it allows the app to find the camera, because then the router assigns an IP to the camera (???) and that then registers on the app along with all its other details. :nervous: And I don't just think it would show any CCTV footage on the app without one. :idk: Whenever I launch the app, it finds the camera instantly.

Camera >> PoE Injector Adapter >> Router >> Laptop >> RECORD

Have I done everything correct? Would love some thoughts. Thanks!
If it works for you, then great!

But....most likely if you assign a static IP to the camera and a static IP to the laptop (both same subnet, like 192.168.1.9 for the cam and 192.168.1.10 for the laptop), the app should still 'find the camera', display the video and record to the laptop...no router needed since you're not on any gateway (Internet) AND you yourself did the router's job by assigning those IP's already.

As here:
Camera >> PoE Injector Adapter >> Laptop >> RECORD

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you are having problems connecting with a normal network cable directly from the camera through a POE Injector and into the laptop, you may need a crossover network cable.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are going straight from the camera through a POE Injector and into the laptop, you will need a crossover network cable, not a standard straight-through one.
Not in ALL cases. I go straight from PC to cam all the time! :blankstare:

JonW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Correct, there are very rarely absolutes. I'll rephrase my response