CCTV layout software?

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

I have done some research and found some options for this including IVPM Camera Calculator, JVSG IP Video System Design Tool, and the various VideoCAD products like VideoCAD Lite. I am probably missing some others.

Background and what I am looking for:
  • I was in the industry when analog cameras were a thing....
  • I am currently a IP network guy providing core gear, firewall, Wi-Fi etc....
  • In many projects, IP cameras are a solution I am being asked to provide or at least model.
  • Common designs are likely less than 15 cameras - indoor and outdoor.
  • I will have to hand draw rooms and areas most of the time for indoor locations.
  • with above - even having a room on a page can work for me.
  • I am really looking for something to turn out a quick layout that I can show a customer layout and set expectations as to what what the camera will see FOV, quality, etc...
  • Model and design with the exact model
I do like the simplicity of the IVPM web app approach, but it does not seem to like manually drawn objects with scale.

Do you have a recommendation on what software I should make an investment in? I intend on checking out the demos when I get to that point. I am not looking for something that has a huge ramp up time or produces results to the inch. I want a quality result with ease of use - simple right :)

I am hoping someone can provide me a pointed recommendation so that I can be as efficient as possible getting this going.

Thank you for any/all help.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a free trial of JVSG. Vivotek, has a version of JVSG that only includes their cameras and is free: IP Video System Design Tool | Intuitively Design Surveillance Systems with 2D/3D Views

You can also manually do things in in various 2D and 3D CAD software or even Adobe Photoshop or GIMP. AutoDesk Revit can do some CCTV design, Axis has a Revit plugin.

CCTV Design Software - CCTVCAD is another option

I don't have much experience with expensive cctv design software. You may find more discussion at IPVM and it sounds like you'd benefit from a membership there.

Hanwha has some files you can use with Visio
Visio Design Tool — Security Cameras & Surveillance Solutions
Wisenet Network Design — Security Cameras & Surveillance Solutions

Most camera manufactures have something on their website that can be used to help design cctv. It will generally be either a re branded copy of something else or some templates / shape files you can use with other software.

Last edited:

obqo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@tangent

Thank you for your reply. I will take a look at those links.

I really like the idea of something vendor agnostic. I need to keep digging deeper into these.

I appreciate your input.

vsmax

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
  • Common designs are likely less than 15 cameras - indoor and outdoor.
  • with above - even having a room on a page can work for me.
  • I am really looking for something to turn out a quick layout that I can show a customer layout and set expectations as to what what the camera will see FOV, quality, etc...
  • Model and design with the exact model
IMO IP Video System Design Tool - Basic will be a good fit. The latest version 10 has more than 5800 cameras models in the built-in database.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO IP Video System Design Tool - Basic will be a good fit. The latest version 10 has more than 5800 cameras models in the built-in database.
Is that an unbiased opinion or one based on your employment with the IPICA who makes the tool?

Last edited:

vsmax

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Correct. I must mention I am very biased. I love our product. Please try all layout programs and choose what is best for you.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Autocad still wins over these options, professional integrators don't mess around with silly tools or branded icons.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am not looking for something that has a huge ramp up time or produces results to the inch. I want a quality result with ease of use - simple right
Then AutoCAD is not your friend, $$ & big learning curve. Something like Visio is a better option.