Change a Hikvision lens from 2.8mm to 4mm or 6mm?

bugsysiegals

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just ordered Dahua 5442TM-AS camera in 2.8mm. As I use IPVM Camera Calculator I can see objects will not be very clear for identification unless really close. I'd like to swap with a 6mm lens and it seems doable ... are there any reputable sellers out there for this, anything to take into consideration so I keep my IR, etc.?

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
5442 is 1/1.8 its M16 lens
but hard to find the same size (diameter)

BICK

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
have you a link for a 5442 lens ?
With the caveat that I don't know what lens is used in the 5442 -
Here is the link to a lens I bought for a Hikvision 8MP camera :

DWinters1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With the caveat that I don't know what lens is used in the 5442 -
Here is the link to a lens I bought for a Hikvision 8MP camera :
And did you changed the lens? I’m interested because I ordered a 2.8 lens and I think I didn’t did my homework well

EricLEE

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there different kind of M12 lens? I purchased a dahua camera that says m12 in the specs, and ordered a RunCam (FPV Drone company) RC21 lens that says M12 thinking it would fit, but the treads are different and lens will not screw in. How do I know which lens will actually work with the correct threading, I'm trying to get a camera with a 2.1mm lens working.

HELP

kk.doc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was looking on the net with the hope to find any explanation about my terrible IR night vision after changing my camera lens, from 3.6 to 6mm and I found this forum discussion.

I needed to se more clear in a longer distance that 3.6mm lens that camera had by default. So I bought on aliexpress a 6mm lens that I mounted on one of my Dahua camera DH-HAC-HFW1200D.

I was very glad to see that the quality of the image with the new lens was pretty good, almost like the original and I could see very well at the needed distance without distortion. Some problems with the direct sun reflections (that I did not had with the original one) but I resolved it mounting the camera a bit more inside.

BUT I was so disappointed when I checked the camcorders at night and I realised that I had almost NO IR VISION AT NIGHT...! I checked the IR LED and they were ON!

It will be very kind of you to help me resolve this BIG issue. Is there anything that I can do to have a good HAC-HFW1200D_thumb.png-212766450399280522.jpg20210206172926.jpgScreenshot_20210206-172722.jpgR image at night again?

I attached some pictures to give you an idea of how the image was before changing the lens and how bad is now!

Thank you in advance.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is that the IR is somehow reaching the lens inside the camera directly from the LEDs.
Is the foam ring around the lens properly positioned and touching the glass in front of the lens so no IR can leak in from the side?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Another possibility - if you've changed the mounting position, are there possibilities for reflection of IR around the camera?

kk.doc

n3wb
Reaction score
My guess is that the IR is somehow reaching the lens inside the camera directly from the LEDs.
Is the foam ring around the lens properly positioned and touching the glass in front of the lens so no IR can leak in from the side?
Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, there is a black round rubber foam that is placed on the same level of the distal point of the lens. I did not pushed it backwards nor forward, I placed it again as it was in the original mount! Maybe the position of the lens is a some mm back or fw, this due to different focus position that the 6mm lens has, but not more!
On the other hand the two IR LED are mounted on the outer cover of the camcorder (I did not disassembeld them), and the lens is mount on the middle body... I don't know what to say?!

kk.doc

n3wb
Reaction score
Another possibility - if you've changed the mounting position, are there possibilities for reflection of IR around the camera?
The camera is mounted 30cm inside the roof exit, which by itself is an open "door" around 80cm width x 100cm high. I did this to reduce the afternoon sun effect coming directly to the lens (as in the picture attached). But the new mounting position is only 6cm backwards! The camera is inside the roof exit 30-40cm (wood construction) but everything in front is open, no glass, nothing! And I don't know weather this can bee an obstacle for IR beem...
Another point, this camera is designed with Smart IR is a technology (as in the file attached) and I can't explain weather this technology is not compatible with the knew 6mm lens (instead of 3.6mm) that I mounted...?
Thanks a lot!20210206171219.jpg

Attachments

kk.doc

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I was looking on the net with the hope to find any explanation about my terrible IR night vision after changing my camera lens, from 3.6 to 6mm and I found this forum discussion.

I needed to se more clear in a longer distance that 3.6mm lens that camera had by default. So I bought on aliexpress a 6mm lens that I mounted on one of my Dahua camera DH-HAC-HFW1200D.

I was very glad to see that the quality of the image with the new lens was pretty good, almost like the original and I could see very well at the needed distance without distortion. Some problems with the direct sun reflections (that I did not had with the original one) but I resolved it mounting the camera a bit more inside.

BUT I was so disappointed when I checked the camcorders at night and I realised that I had almost NO IR VISION AT NIGHT...! I checked the IR LED and they were ON!

It will be very kind of you to help me resolve this BIG issue. Is there anything that I can do to have a good View attachment 82720View attachment 82721View attachment 82722View attachment 82723R image at night again?

I attached some pictures to give you an idea of how the image was before changing the lens and how bad is now!

Thank you in advance.
Hi everybody,

Unfortunately I could not resolve the problem of the night vision (as in the post 6 months ago), after changing the lens of my Dahua camera from 3.6mm to 6mm. Tried to move the position of the camera as recommended but still the same terrible image... I had to replace te camera which is still "resting" in the box :-/.

Trying to understand what went wrong I found a warning notice that when you change the IR LED (when they get worn) you have to match the proper right ange for the camera lens (as in the screenshot below)!

Now I did changed the camera lens NOT the IR LED, which make me think that by default the manufacturer fitted the camera with the appropriate IR LED for 3.6mm lens!
Could this be the problem?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion, Kreston.

Screenshot_20210921-120024__01.jpg

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't comment on the ir but for the sun, you can buy hoods off amazon. Depends on the body of the camera but this is an example for a Hik turret:

and a more universal one:

Bit puzzled why you'd want to watch your neighbours apartment. Highly illegal over here.

kk.doc

n3wb
Reaction score
Can't comment on the ir but for the sun, you can buy hoods off amazon. Depends on the body of the camera but this is an example for a Hik turret:

and a more universal one:

Bit puzzled why you'd want to watch your neighbours apartment. Highly illegal over here.
Thanks for your answer,

Maybe you are right, but unfortunately I was forced to monitor their activity due to unjustly continued violation of property! Thanks to that camera I had the evidence!
After all Isn't camera monitoring a tool to protect property?

Best regards!