Change a Hikvision lens from 2.8mm to 4mm or 6mm?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Triumph,

Mine is still mounted, waiting to decide on replacing it with the Hik 6mm ULL or the Starlight
I pulled mine apart and took some measurements, I'll order a couple of lenses that look likely to be okay and try them. (I've got two 2342's that I'll either fit new lenses to or sell.)

On what's been mentioned - the Mega Pixel rating on the lenses would relate to the resolving power of the lens. It's a term used a lot with DSLR camera lenses- often the lenses aren't capable of matching the sensor's pixel number (ie. your lens is the cause of poor quality images.)

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The above video is a 2332 but yes as far as disassembly is concerned I believe the two are identical. Let me know if you have any questions regarding the above video.

Original post: Hikvision 2032i Lens Change

Last edited:

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So that's your video? :) I just saw your other posts with the shots using the new 25mm lens- they look fantastic.

(Ironically, I just ordered a 16mm lens before reading your posts. I'll post up how it goes once I get it.)

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I received the 16mm lens I ordered off AliExpress yesterday. Today I fitted it to one of my 2.8mm Hikvision DS-2CD2342WD-I 4MP cameras. The glue was a major PITA to scrape off the factory lens and I ended up wrapping the lens in some paper and gingerly grabbing the lens with some pliers to gently release it. The new lens was a loose fit, so I used the Teflon plumbing tape idea (as per the video) to pad it out and prevent unwanted rotation.

Focusing was relatively easy, but I quickly found out how a long length f2.0 lens limits your depth of field for focus. I ended up settling on distant objects being slightly out of focus in order to improve the closer (ie. 3-4m distance) focus.

I've got to say I'm highly impressed with the quality of the lens (random purchase/ paid full price/ no association with the seller.) The image quality is superb and I don't think a genuine Hikvision lens would be any better. I haven't tried it out at night yet, so the lens reach may well outdo the capabilities of built in IR.

There were no mods required for the 16mm lens to fit in the DS-2CD2342WD-I. It appears to possibly sit closer to the camera body's glass but doesn't touch. (Spacing the lens module further back should be possible if there are minor issues with the lens touching the glass.)

Below are the specs for the lens (for anyone looking at doing the same mod.) The same place sells other 5MP lens with similar specs that should also fit. I've ordered a couple of other lengths to try out- at around $10 ea delivered I figured why not.

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your lens has IR coating. That means that the daylight IR spectrum is filtered initially from your lens and then whatever spectrum left, is filtered from the camera internal IR filter during day mode. This means that during night mode the IR coating of the lens will filter (cut) the IR light of the of the camera internal IR EXIR. Therefore your night images will be very dark (and probably absolute black if the IR coating of the lens matches the EXIR IR frequency exactly). Am I right? Can you post some images with your new IR coated lens and some images with the original HIK lens which I believe does not have any IR coating?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It doesn't appear to block the camera's IR light- otherwise I wouldn't have got the "white out" from the IR light reflecting off the eaves last night. I believe that "IR" marking signifies the lens focus stays true for the different wavelength of the IR light. (Note specs say "IR Correction: Yes".)

As soon as I turned the IR light off the "white out" disappeared. I forgot to mention this camera is mounted under the house eaves, looking along the eaves down a narrow pathway beside the house. When I first mounted the camera I was unable to adjust the camera's turret up high enough to see over the side gate (which is around 12m away.) So I've temporarily put a spacer (about 15mm high) under the back of the camera's base to tilt the camera lens further up towards the eaves- so I get the coverage over the side gate. So the built in IR was destined to be a reflection nightmare off the cream coloured eaves.

I've got a couple of solar powered LED sensor lights that put out a lot of light down that side. They worked well last night with the camera left on day mode.

I'll put some pictures up later.

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

Hik DS-2CD2342WD-I with 16mm lens fitted. Excuse the mess/ construction zone. The gate is around 12m from the camera- possibly further?

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That picture was posted purely to show how the 16mm lens performs on the DS-2CD2342WD-I camera in day light.

PS: I actually took the light fitting off- it was even larger and blocked more vision ;). I'll be getting a recessed LED down-light fitted so there won't be any problems with the camera's vision being obscured.

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everybody
I have purchased a 25mm lens for my HIK camera its running perfect , the only question i have is how to adjust focus ? what the distance i have to put a licence plate for a 25mm lens ?

BICK

dfhawk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I usually start out at about 30ft. (because that is all I have to work with inside) with a license plate and fine tune by taking it outside in the actual environment (with a 30 ft. ethernet cord).

triumph202

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
With a 25mm lens you're probably going to have a narrow depth of field, so I'd suggest doing it in situ (or measure how far away the target vehicles will be and set up a target that distance from the camera.) However, if you're only wanting to read numbers/ letters on the number plates focus probably won't be that critical. Illumination and exposure speeds at night will be your biggest problem.

(PS: A lot of plate stealing/ swapping goes on here with vehicles used for illegal purposes. It makes me wonder if going to the trouble of setting up a dedicated camera for reading plates is really worthwhile?)

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everybody
I have purchased a 25mm lens for my HIK camera its running perfect , the only question i have is how to adjust focus ? what the distance i have to put a licence plate for a 25mm lens ?

BICK
Hi Bick, can I know what model camera you have installed that 25mm lens.

I'm currently looking to purchase some Hikvision cameras, and would require probably 16mm or larger lens, but can't find anything larger than 6mm fixed.

Would be handy to know which cameras are suitable for such a large lens.

Thanks.

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Basjke , there's a bit on this thread Hikvision 2032i Lens Change regarding a 25mm swap. The DS-2CD2342WD-I should fit one, but you would most likely need to space the lens module board by around 4mm to fit this 25mm lens ( roughly calculated comparing the specs of this 16mm lens I fitted to my DS-2CD2342WD-I.)
Thanks, to move the module board, is that a complicated operation or is there a manual somewhere?

Edit : I see the video is the actual manual. Can I assume that this procedure is possible with the majority of cameras?

Edit 2 : I looked the tutorial videos over and over, but I don't see him modifying anything, so do I miss something or is that part missing from the video?

Last edited:

bickford

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello Basjke
The model of camera I use with 25mm lens is DS-2CD2232-I5
I have taken this camera to have a good IR power .

I have purchased lens on eBay.

BICK

Basjke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello Basjke
The model of camera I use with 25mm lens is DS-2CD2232-I5
I have taken this camera to have a good IR power .

I have purchased lens on eBay.

BICK
Thanks, that camera will probably also suit for my application. Were you able to fit the lens without making modifications to the camera ?