changing from hikvision to dahua

surveillancelot

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've done a few hikvision systems, but now the availability is getting worse and worse. However, Dahuas seem to be well available, especially on aliexpress.

Now a buddy of mine asked me to make a camera system for him.

So are there any key differences between dahua and hikvision? Hikvision NVR & Camera setup is pretty easy and really usable with hik-online. Does dahua have same kind of dns service?

What about updating dahua? That has been really problematic with hikvision. So are aliexpress dahua nvr's and cameras same hacked to be english and therefore should not be updated?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi surveillancelot,

The Chinese market cameras can be challenging to update. Andy ( EmpireTecAndy ) store lists cameras which are international english versions and thus easier for us to update. ( his contact info is in my notes #15 )

Both Hikvsion and Dahua products as well as others are getting compromised. No question about it, thus you will have to do the VPN and change default passwords, disable UPnP on router.... OR just leave them off the internet ;-)

Lots of good Dahua related posts lined to in the following notes, feel free to check them out.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Which Hikvision's are you having trouble finding? I see a lot of their newest "ultra low light" DS-2CD2XX5FWD-I cams on Aliexpress (where the first "X" is replaced with the style (0: Bullet; 1: Dome, etc..) and the second "X" is replaced with the megapixel (2: 2mp; 3: 3mp, etc.)...Most of these I'm finding claim to be international versions with upgradable firmware.