changing Hikvision HTTP port locks camera?

jamangus

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. Either I'm missing something, or this is a very frustrating Hik quirk. There should be a reward for anyone who can help...

My camera scheme:
1. I assign IP address to camera using SADP
2. I change HTTP/RTSP/HTTPS/Server ports to XXX1, XXX2, XXX3, XXX4
3. I forward ports XXX1-XXX4 for the camera IP

Works for weeks/months at a time, then suddenly I wont have camera access, and have to hard-reset and start over. Sometimes, like now, I can't set up the cameras again no matter what I try. I can access and administer everything fine until I change the HTTP port. It's not just that I can't view the camera, but I can't access it in any way after the HTTP port is changed. Even in SADP, it is no longer visible...then it appears for a couple minutes...then it's gone.

Example troubleshoot:
I do steps 1-3 above, but I ONLY change the RTSP port. Everything works fine. I can view the new RTSP through an app (like TinyIP Cam). Then I change the HTTP port and I can't log in at IP:pORT. Also...RTSP is no longer viewable by any app. And...camera starts to come and go on SADP. I have to hard-reset to access camera again.

Right now a have one camera still up and running with this scheme. I have 3 that are down. I have duplicated EVERY setting I can think of from the working camera with no luck. As soon as I change the HTTP ports...crash.

Help?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@jamangus Not sure what is going on there so hopefully someone with more experience with hikvision firmware can chime in..but why do you have to change the http port in the first place? You dont need to forward the http port to view video with the hikvision app, only the media port. Forwarding http is a greater security risk...if you really want to forward it, you can simply assign a different external port that gets routed your camera..no need to change the port on the camera.

jamangus

n3wb
Reaction score
@jamangus Not sure what is going on there so hopefully someone with more experience with hikvision firmware can chime in..but why do you have to change the http port in the first place? You dont need to forward the http port to view video with the hikvision app, only the media port. Forwarding http is a greater security risk...if you really want to forward it, you can simply assign a different external port that gets routed your camera..no need to change the port on the camera.
Thanks. I do not use the hik app. I use BI mostly.
I also need to be able access each camera from a browser...externally.
I will look at your suggestion. I'm not sure how.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I do not use the hik app. I use BI mostly.
I also need to be able access each camera from a browser...externally.
I will look at your suggestion. I'm not sure how.
If you are using BI why do you need the ability to access the camera via browser externally?
You can simply use something like teamviewer on the blue iris machine....this way your cameras are not exposed...

jamangus

n3wb
Reaction score
If you are using BI why do you need the ability to access the camera via browser externally?
You can simply use something like teamviewer on the blue iris machine....this way your cameras are not exposed...
I have just been doing it this way since before BI :) and some of my cameras have internal media. Plus I have a lot of power outages so liked to be able to view the cameras directly.

But I like your suggestions. I will check out teamviewer. Now that I use BI and like it, maybe rethink my strategy...put efforts to keeping the server up, and remote access thru that.

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have just been doing it this way since before BI :) and some of my cameras have internal media. Plus I have a lot of power outages so liked to be able to view the cameras directly.

But I like your suggestions. I will check out teamviewer. Now that I use BI and like it, maybe rethink my strategy...put efforts to keeping the server up, and remote access thru that.

Thanks.
That is the most secure method....simply set your pc to reboot after power loss...and also put it on a ups..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya, it's the POE/switches that are problem...all over the place. Need to find cheap small ups'
Generally its overkill to put all the cams on a ups in a home setup...if your want some sort of backup, then put a few of your cams with sd card slots on a ups..

lansa

n3wb
Reaction score
Had exactly same problem with a new 2cd2732 cam. Changed HTTP port, camera supposedly rebooted, then disappeared forever. Every now and then it will show up on SADP only to disappear again after a minute. Hard resetting didnt do anything. Had to pull camera down and replace it. This is a nasty bug that needs to be addressed if Hikvision take themselves seriously.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Had exactly same problem with a new 2cd2732 cam. Changed HTTP port, camera supposedly rebooted, then disappeared forever. Every now and then it will show up on SADP only to disappear again after a minute. Hard resetting didnt do anything. Had to pull camera down and replace it. This is a nasty bug that needs to be addressed if Hikvision take themselves seriously.
Is this a china region camera? what is the firmware on it? Where did you buy it from?

lansa

n3wb
Reaction score
This camera was bought from an authorized distributior in the U.S. I'm a Hikvision partner.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This camera was bought from an authorized distributior in the U.S. I'm a Hikvision partner.
I havent seen this reported much..though most folks dont change the ports....does it only happen to some hikvision cameras? specific firmware?

jamangus

n3wb
Reaction score
I havent seen this reported much..though most folks dont change the ports....does it only happen to some hikvision cameras? specific firmware?
It happens on my bullets, turret, and cube. 4 different firmware versions including the latest. (all firmware as purchased, not upgraded)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What range have you changed the HTTP ports to when you see this problem?
For many months I've been running half a dozen 2-series cameras on a PoE NVR with the HTTP ports set at 90, so the traffic can pass through the NVR to the LAN interface without being impeded. And I've seen no adverse consequences, it's been 100% reliable.
I currently have a spare camera, if you indicate the range of ports that you've used when the problem occurs we can try replicating it.

lansa

n3wb
Reaction score
I simply changed the http port on the camera to 8085 and camera bricked. Ended up exchanging it after Hikvision support couldn't bring it back online.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Very strange.
I just tried this with a 2132F-IWS and it seems OK after reboot.
ModelDS-2CD2132F-IWS
Serial No.DS-2CD2132F-IWS20150203CCCH503095132
Firmware VersionV5.2.5 build 141201
Encoding VersionV5.0 build 140714

Attachments

jamangus

n3wb
Reaction score
I also use 8000 for the ports, but I have tried many ports with same bad results. Sometimes it works initially, then locks out later...after days or weeks. I can get mine back with hard-reset.

This is a known issue.

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I also have had this a long time before, but yesterday experienced it again, so tought it would be good to do some search on google, and found this thread..Like mentioned, i changed http ports of each camera (cam 1 port 81, cam 2 port 82, cam 3 port 83 )
in order to be able to access them all individually without having a pc running all time. As mentioned , the cameras were giving timeout.. Sometimes they are seen in SADP, but doesnt take long or they dissapear again.
I have set it this way many times in many installation, but somehow at some places this doesnt work. I dont know. The solution was just to keep them all at port 80.
No solution yet.