Changing routers. IP Cams, and setting it up

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all.

I had a buddy who dealt with cameras install my cameras at the time and i remember my ptz was giving me a bit of an issue that we had to hook it up directly to be able to get the ip.

This was a while ago and i dont really remember the process. But i am looking into getting a new router, is there anything i need to do to be able to get them working on the new router? Anything i need to change before i pop in the new router?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you know how to find the cam's IP address? If so, log into the cam and insure it's static, not DHCP (auto).

Log into you existing router and write down it's LAN IP because the easiest thing to do would be to insure the new router is on the same subnet as the old one and you may have to change the new router's LAN IP to be like the old one and be the same subnet as the cam.

In other words, let's say the cam is 192.168.1.108, the old router is 192.168.1.1 and the new router is 192.168.0.1; you'd want to change the new router to be 192.168.1.1 like the old one....that just simplifies things.

Getting back to making the cam's IP is static: after doing so it's best to either make a reservation for the cam's IP in the router OR assign an IP that is OUTSIDE of the router's DHCP pool of IP addresses.

Example: A router with a LAN IP of 192.168.1.1 has a DHCP pool of IP's it assigns to devices that are set to DHCP (auto) and are NOT static and the pool is like from 192.168.1.50 to .99. If so, assign an IP to the cam an IP from 192.168.1.200 to 254.

Also while you're in the cam and in the router, disable uPNP.

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Seems easy enough, so here is the funny thing, dont know if it will make a difference i have an apple router, and will currently be going away from that so the defaults are way different 10. vs 192.

Also will it work, if i just install the new router and through the apple router right behind it?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Seems easy enough, so here is the funny thing, dont know if it will make a difference i have an apple router, and will currently be going away from that so the defaults are way different 10. vs 192.

Also will it work, if i just install the new router and through the apple router right behind it?
Connecting the WAN port of the new router to a LAN port of Internet-enabled, existing router will likely perform a "Double NAT" which can work but may be slower.

But I must question why would you do that in the first place? What is it you are wanting to do?

sotorious

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well i thought that may be an easier solution instead of getting each ip address and re adding it and or making it to the default ip.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, buy one that supports OpenVPN out of the box. I have a router with OPNsense which is a bit complicated for the normal user, but some guys here have good expierence with Asus routers.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it's weird...just upgraded to Asus AC86U router...now when outside my home network, very very slowing loading the feeds from Blue Iris...any thoughts on what that might be?..not currently using the openVPN though I probably should...just port forwarded

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well i thought that may be an easier solution instead of getting each ip address and re adding it and or making it to the default ip.
It may be as simple as changing the LAN IP of the new router or even simpler...it's the same! Then you just swap them out. Wait and see.

Daisy-chaining a router will just increase latency and possibly lower speed, albeit not much but no sense in complicating an otherwise simple process.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it's weird...just upgraded to Asus AC86U router...now when outside my home network, very very slowing loading the feeds from Blue Iris...any thoughts on what that might be?..not currently using the openVPN though I probably should...just port forwarded
You're asking for a lot of trouble port forwarding. Don't do it.
Set the router back to factory defaults, and set it up again, see if that helps the speed, if your sure it's not your internet upload speed.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks looney2ns! so every time i wanna view the cams from my iphone/ipad outside the network i need to launch openvpn on the device first to make the connection? what about push notifications? will they come through ?

Reaction score
So I'm new to all this, and im definitely not an IT guy, but are you guys saying I have to purchase static ip's to be able to run my security cams?

I was thinking my setup would go like this:

Asus rt3200ac to 16 port poe+ switch, a synology ds918+ nas running their surveillance station software to act as the DVR plugged into the switch along with my 3 IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cams and a IPC-HDBW4231F-AS cam.

I have an OpenVPN. Not sure if I should run that thru the nas or the router as both can be set up to run openvpn.

I was planning on setting up a ddns so that way I could remotely login and view my surveillance feed in the nas.

The more I get into this the more i get confused.

Any help would be appreciated

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Disable ddos protection

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Disable ddos protection
thanks fenderman! will give it a shot...just disabled forwarding and set up openvpn....in BI server settings, now I can remove any reference to a particular port? or do I leave that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks fenderman! will give it a shot...just disabled forwarding and set up openvpn....in BI server settings, now I can remove any reference to a particular port? or do I leave that?
If you are using VPN leave ddos protection on.
Yes delete all Port forward rules

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are using VPN leave ddos protection on.
Yes delete all Port forward rules
ok...deleted the rules...but when connected via VPN successfully, cant connect to BI...what do I need to do in BI web server settings to account for
the new openvpn setup? ie. should "Enable the HTTP web server on port: ____" still be checked and a port put there?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
ok...deleted the rules...but when connected via VPN successfully, cant connect to BI...what do I need to do in BI web server settings to account for
the new openvpn setup? ie. should "Enable the HTTP web server on port: ____" still be checked and a port put there?
you need to enable it and use whatever port you want.
you then need to enter the LOCAL ip AND port in both the lan and wan boxes. Its important that both boxes have the local ip.

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you need to enable it and use whatever port you want.
you then need to enter the LOCAL ip AND port in both the lan and wan boxes. Its important that both boxes have the local ip.
thanks! that did the trick...i unchecked "refresh external IP at startup..." because as a test I clicked REFRESH for the WAN and it throws in the external address, which of course I don't want...anything else needed to prevent the WAN address from getting refreshed anywhere else in Blue Iris?