Cheap NVR Reco Plz

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First off I will say thanks so much for all the great info and discussions posted in this forum! I have learned a ton lurking around. So thanks again for that.

Now, my grandfather has asked for help getting three camera's set up to cover each of the doors into the house.

He originally asked for wireless battery powered systems, but I talked him into wired IP cameras and an NVR.
I would normally recommend a PC and BlueIris, but for the sake of minimal maintenance I am going NVR here.

So can you guys/gals recommend a good inexpensive NVR.
I found a trendnet NVR which fits the bill (I am guessing its just a rebranded Dahua) Amazon.com : TRENDnet 4-Channel 1080p HD PoE Network Video Recorder, 4TB Storage, Continuous Recording, Easy Install, Advanced Playback, VGA/HDMI, IOS, ONVIF, IPv6 Compliant, TV-NVR104 : Camera & Photo .

Any other recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks a whole lot folks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
match whatever brand of cameras your installing so everything is plug and play for gramps.. ie, Dahua NVR + Dahua Cameras or Hik NVR + HIk Cameras

Mixing up cameras and recorder brands is an advanced configuration and typically limited, whereas an all vendor solution is typically plug-n-play... literally.

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will be doing all the install and configuration so that isn't much of a concern.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
as far as I know its not a rebranded dahua, if your installing dahua cameras just get a cheapo dahua nvr..

if you want to keep it simple; then dont fight it.. just match vendors and be done, ONVIF is flakey.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
should work fine I'd think; IVS wont trigger recordings through

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
should work fine I'd think; IVS wont trigger recordings through
I'm curious as to what you are seeing that makes you say that? No criticism, honest question.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
because its not stated anywhere in the specs like the Pro NVR's that are; there's a list of IVS support on NVR's here and none of them cheapie single disk units were on the list.

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Dahua website states "Record Mode Manual, Schedule(Regular(Continuous), MD), Stop" -Assumung MD means Motion Detection.

Which matches "Record Mode Manual, Schedule (Regular (Continuous), MD, Alarm), Stop" of every Pro NVR I looked at.

Maybe I am missing something or they just listed them wrong, idk.

Also, does it matter if the cams are NTSC or PAL?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well that pretty much makes the NVR worthless.....and a lot more expensive to get a useful feature set.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
not really; just record continuously and use basic motion detection.. IVS is nice and all but if your trying to go for a cheap simple lil setup its not a end all feature thats worth all the extra money for.. Unless your wanting to get notifications on activity reliably its not required, MD does perfectly fine of flagging the timeline so you can scrub through recordings easially

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that pretty much makes the NVR worthless.....and a lot more expensive to get a useful feature set.
Its not worthless, as with any item, you pay for added features....if you expected a machine that does it all for 99 dollars, think again..

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
not really; just record continuously and use basic motion detection.. IVS is nice and all but if your trying to go for a cheap simple lil setup its not a end all feature thats worth all the extra money for.. Unless your wanting to get notifications on activity reliably its not required, MD does perfectly fine of flagging the timeline so you can scrub through recordings easially
Its not worthless, as with any item, you pay for added features....if you expected a machine that does it all for 99 dollars, think again..
Okay will I feel like an idiot! I took IVS to mean all motion based recording, DOH! My mistake. As long as I can do simple motion detection with maybe a push alert or two and live viewing from an app that is all he will need. Sorry for my misunderstand and dragging this out longer than this should have been.

With that cleared up, does NTSC or PAL matter?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay will I feel like an idiot! I took IVS to mean all motion based recording, DOH! My mistake. As long as I can do simple motion detection with maybe a push alert or two and live viewing from an app that is all he will need. Sorry for my misunderstand and dragging this out longer than this should have been.

With that cleared up, does NTSC or PAL matter?
push alerts using basic motion detection are completely worthless..you will get false alerts every 5 minuets..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no the IVS stuff is just the Tripwire/Intrusion Detection stuff on the camera.. you have to have an NVR that understands IVS to trigger recordings and notifications based upon them.. currently only the Dahua Pro NVR's are capable of this; not even BlueIris will do anything w/em.

PAL or NTSC makes no difference; and you can change back and forth with firmware updates.. my NVR is currently PAL and so are most of my cameras, everything is fine.

Notifications are emails/push alerts; you can just forget about them w/basic motion detection outside as it'll go off a 100 times a day or miss 9 out of 10 actual events.. the middle-ground is IVS.

Judman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well the areas' that will be monitored are pretty secluded so any motion of reasonable size would be beneficial.

But we will have to cross that bridge when we get there! Thanks for the help and sorry again for the confusion!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
unless its indoors it still has bugs and clouds and weather.. there's no way for a camera to desginguish from a bug 2" away and a car 30ft away.. they both change the same number of pixels.

the sun peeking in and out of clouds change alot of pixels too; too much shit outside to use it for alerts.. its good for reviewing footage so you dont have to watch hours of video at high speed, everytime there is motion you'll get a mark on the timeline.. but for sending notifications; go read the boy whom cried wolf and get back to me once you learn the meaning. (yeah you can get notifications when pixels change, but no you will not pay any attention to em after a few days)