Cheapie garage door camera

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thats funny, I have one of these I'm my garage too, but aimed a mouse trap... I have a critter that is outsmarting me!
read the instructions on the mouse trap lol. Place trap perpendicular to wall with bait towards wall, makes a huge difference.

Or get one or more of these: http://www.kness.com/ketch-all they work great outside too.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This one makes a good garage camera. I've got one in a garage now. Picture quality is better than a Hik 2032 in the daytime and a lot better at night. $35 delivered.

48V PoE IP Camera 1/2.8'' SONY IMX222 FULL HD 1080P IP Camera PoE Mini Dome Indoor Camera IP 2 Megapixel IP Camera PoE Cable
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/HxFOVTa
(from AliExpress Android)
I have got more enjoyment out of these little cams than all my others, include a 20x PTX beast with all the bells and whistles. They are way better than the TOP-201's (anybody want one? lol) and the picture quality is very good, nighttime performance very good, POE to boot !!! and they come in black so I don't have to paint (like I do with the name brand jobbies).
Nice catch there. I'm quite interested in these. I may have to pull the trigger on a couple.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought one. I'll post a few images in this thread. "On time delivery 60 days" is concerning though. Mine is just now in Awaiting Shipping status.

Nice catch there. I'm quite interested in these. I may have to pull the trigger on a couple.

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Agreed. I saw "Estimated Delivery Time: 10-15 days (ships out within 5 business days)" then 60 day thing and was like hmm.. Thinking of getting 3... Always have a use somewhere. Says the go off sale tomorrow and back up 32%... hmm...

dalepa

Reaction score
My Craftsman Assurelink is one of my favorite gadgets. Control, status, alerts and motion sensing in the garage and most importantly, closes the door after 2 minutes. Not that cheap, but works VERY well.

I see it under the Chamberlin name on amazon too A different Chamberlin model here Also Wifi complete systems are going on my next house

A camera would be cool, but getting it to control the garage door might take some work.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thats funny, I have one of these I'm my garage too, but aimed a mouse trap... I have a critter that is outsmarting me!

These silly little cameras are working so well (and they are quite tiny) that I am thinking of replacing all my high priced cameras ! I have noticed no heat issues so far.
@Ford and @Kawboy12R I just received these cams after ordering on 6/9. I connected both to my POE switch and I don't get a link light. However, when I check my router, I have 192.168.1.12 listed now. I can ping .12 unless I unplug it. Advanced IP Scanner shows its manufacturer as Panasonic AVC Networks Company. I can't get a login prompted to come up in IE. I have added it to my Compatibility View and added it as a Trusted Site. I loaded the CD that was included with the camera and it says I am supposed to have a default IP of 192.168.1.10. I already have a reservation for another device on my network on that IP. I loaded the plugin off of the CD. No Dice.
I am hesitant to install this software which looks to be largely written in Chinese. Can either of you tell me what the minimum installation is to get to access this camera to add it to BI? Or, is the lack of link light on both cameras a sign of DOA?

Last edited by a moderator:

JDWX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried ONVIF to see if it can display/change the settings? They may have an ActiveX plugin they want you to use on their disk :( Not a fan of companies that still do that. I was just looking at those today debating if I want a pair. lol..

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Configuring these has a steep learning curve. The only thing I use is the CMS Software on the disc (its all I ever had success with and it is reliable once you get the hang of it). Probably a wise idea to install it on a VM... TNO ... LOL

And all I use is the RTSP stream. The web interface is garbage.

You should connect the cam directly to your PC for configuring it (set your PC's IP to 192.168.1.100), configure it (I would turn DHCP on, set up RTSP parameters, video parameters, turn off on screen graphics, etc), save the configuration and you should be able to put it on you LAN, find it, and view the RTSP stream on BI or VLC... (as I say, probably a good idea to make a temporary VM for using the CMS software as I would not be surprised to find it malware laden) (although malware scans have never found any hits...)

Getting no link light is not good, it sounds like you bought more than one? If so the chances of all of them being duds is remote.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I realized the 1.12 Panasonic address is my TV, not a camera! Crap. I was assuming that Panasonic was branded on these for some reason. I can't ping it now because my wife is no longer watching it and it is off.

Onvif Device Manager sees my Hik 3345 but not my LaView 902. It does not see either of these 2 new cameras. I agree that it is unlikely that I bought 2 duds.

I just tried new cables. I also changed ports on the poe switch, no change there. They all work with known good cameras.

I installed CMS. Default user was Super/blank. I changed it to super/super to prove I was connected to it.
CMS doesn't allow me to click System > Device Mgr > Add Device. I had to add a Zone to get that to work.
Now I am clicking IP Search and I can't find anything through this process, though I would expect my router or Advance IP Scanner to see an IP by this point.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm travelling ATM but seems to me they default to 192.168.1.10. Should be able to attach to it at that address. Stupid question but you said it was attached to the POE switch but are you sure you're using one of the POE ports rather than one of the unpowered ports?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm travelling ATM but seems to me they default to 192.168.1.10. Should be able to attach to it at that address. Stupid question but you said it was attached to the POE switch but are you sure you're using one of the POE ports rather than one of the unpowered ports?
At this point, stupid questions are fine. Yes, I am using POE ports on a 802.3af switch. The description says 6w. I messaged the seller, I hope they come back with helpful info.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In case any body else bought cameras from the same seller, they replied to say that the pigtail is wrong and they have had this issue with other customers. They want to send me 2 so that I can replace them myself. ugh. At least I know I wasn't doing anything wrong. It is frustrating that they are willing to send out 28 day shipments that are wrong, then to be absolutely sure (pictures required to a separate email address) that the cameras aren't working.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Non-POE pigtail? Or non-standard POE for some reason?

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Non-POE pigtail? Or non-standard POE for some reason?
"Yes, we have another customer have this issue before. As our experience, it is the camera cable's problem. Do you have another poe switch or poe injector?"

I would guess non poe pigtail but they don't make it 100% clear. I already showed them pics and give them the model number of the poe af switch I have.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
That bites whatever the reason. POE is pretty standard but if the wiring is right then maybe a passive injector might work where an active one like your switch failed to sense the camera and turn it on?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Then again if the wiring is wrong then a passive one might burn it up. I'm guessing the wiring isn't wrong though or they probably would've sent you a wiring diagram and gotten you to change the wires over in the existing pigtail yourself.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2016-07-09 11.37.19.jpgIdk what the wiring is supposed to be, but there is one connector that isn't used. That could be power.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Wrong wiring was basically a wild guess based on your wording that the pigtail is wrong. Hard to tell why they said "camera cable's problem" though. Maybe they had some bad cables with bad connections inside? Maybe they had some cams have a non POE pigtail installed. With no 2.1mm 12v DC connector on the camera that's a bit of a problem...

On an interesting sidenote, that board kinda looks like it supports alarm IO. There are two unused sets of connections there with 12v, GND, and V labels.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
....Also Wifi complete systems are going on my next house
That's exactly what i have ! Very good system. It text you or email when garage is opened or closed! You can open or close from anywhere in the world! Wifi too! There was a clearance sale at Home Depot for $60 each complete system worth $259.99 and
not very many people knew about it, so i purchased all 3 units that where in stock and installed one in my garage and sold the other 2 units for $200 each! But i can tell you is very quite system and working really good.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am not sure what to do with this seller. Now they suggest that I have a compatibility problem with the TL-SF1008P and they want me to try another POE Injector or switch. I don't have another option. I have another TL-SF1008P that will deliver tomorrow, but I don't expect that to help. With 504 reviews at 4.4 stars on Amazon, I would be surprised if I have a compatibility issue.

:/