Choppy/stuttered video from 4K camera but exports are nearly perfect...

bwze

n3wb
Reaction score
Recently got Blue Iris up and running with an Amcrest IP8M-T2599EW 4K camera.

I've gone through the Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage guide and from what I can tell, I was pretty successful as the CPU is running at 2% or less most of the time.

One thing that has me confused is live and recorded playback is choppy or stuttered....it's very noticeable with moving vehicles.

I've also gone through the Troubleshooting Streaming Problems guide and tried pretty much all the suggestions there.

No antivirus except for Windows Defender, and I've got all the proper folders and processes excluded and even have WD turned off and disabled in group policy.

Blue Iris is licensed too...

I was on the verge of giving up but then I tried to export a clip and when I played it back....it's nearly perfect.

If I play the clip using Blue Iris beside the exported clip in Windows Media Player....there's a night and day playback quality difference.

Any suggestions?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your CPU ?
Provide screen shot of
1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph, upper left corner) blue Iris status cameras tab
2)windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then multiple screen shots)
3) BI camera setting video tab
4) in the camera itself the camera setting video tab, This screen has bit rate, encode type, frame rate, iframe value....

bwze

n3wb
Reaction score
What is your CPU ?
Intel Core i7-8700K

Provide screen shot of
1) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph, upper left corner) blue Iris status cameras tab
1617787463429.png
2)windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then multiple screen shots)
1617787531267.png
3) BI camera setting video tab
1617787592428.png
4) in the camera itself the camera setting video tab, This screen has bit rate, encode type, frame rate, iframe value....
1617787725034.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try it with Hardware decode off and if that fixes it, then try just Intel.

bwze

n3wb
Reaction score
No change, except for a slight increase in CPU usage....so I turned h/w decoding back on.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
For me that stuttering has always been associated with the version of the video driver I’ve had installed. I’m currently using an Intel video driver from something like 2018, anything newer causes that blurring/shadowing that you’ve described.

bwze

n3wb
Reaction score
Let's try this another way....I've been looking at Blue Iris videos so much I don't think I even know what's good and what's not.

Below is a 13 second export....in this case, the export mimics the actual clip I see in BI...unlike what I mentioned in the original post.

I understand the frame rate is lower than normal (15fps here) but to me it seems, just a bit, choppy.....especially when compared to the live feed from the IP address of the camera.

Is this what folks normally experience? Should I just expect this to be acceptable?

I mean, I'm not trying to be a Scorsese over here but this video just makes my eyes jut back and forth a bit when I watch it.

View attachment Clipboard_garage.20210407_091729-091743.6.mp4

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the data on the screen shots look good.
Video plays for me.
As you have only one camera are you looking at the true full screen video, or are you looking at the second stream.

As a test disable the substream in BI.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see much of a problem in the video. Maybe a little bit of a frame pacing problem right as the vehicle starts to turn the corner but it wasn't out of the ordinary for an IP camera in Blue Iris in my experience.

I think maybe @bwze just doesn't like the look of 15 FPS and needs to try 30 FPS instead. It is easily doable thanks to sub streams.

Also, Blue Iris doesn't have as smooth of a decoding/rendering pipeline as most media players (VLC for example) so it might drop some frames or get the timing slightly wrong during playback whereas a better player would do a better job of it. This is especially an issue with huge streams like 4K@30fps since they require so much work to decode and render. It should help keeping the "Also BVR" box checked to ensure that hardware acceleration is used for clip playback.

bwze

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @IAmATeaf , @SouthernYankee & @bp2008 …I guess I'm just a 30 fps guy living in a 15 fps world.

I appreciate the sanity check...sometimes we get lost in our assumptions.

Luckily we live in a world that makes it easy to regain focus and clarify expectations....with the help of a few good friends