Cisco 3750-48PS w/ IP Cams

Reaction score
Hello

I recently purchased a server rack that came with a CAT6 patch panel along with a Cisco Router and a Cisco-48 PS switch. On the face it states it is a POE switch and research shows it is. Now my question is can I run this switch with 4k POE cameras? Will this switch give me adequate power to power a camera per port. I was mainly interested in only the 15U rack but the seller was kind enough to throw in the switch. I know nothing about networking, but i am not afraid to learn and waiting for the console cable to reset the switch. Any help will be appreciated. I only plan to use 7 ports out of the 48 and will possiblly use the other ports at a later time maybe create a home network setup.

SPECS
GENERAL

• Enclosure Type
    Rack-mountable 1U
  • Subtype
    Fast Ethernet
  • Ports
    48 x 10/100 (PoE) + 4 x SFP
  • Power Over Ethernet (PoE)
    PoE
  • Authentication Method
    Kerberos, RADIUS, Secure Shell (SSH), TACACS+
  • MAC Address Table Size
    12K entries
  • Authentication Method
    Kerberos, Secure Shell (SSH), RADIUS, TACACS+
    PoE
  • Status Indicators
    Port transmission speed, port duplex mode, system, link/activity
  • Routing Protocol
    OSPF, IGRP, BGP-4, RIP-1, RIP-2, HSRP, IGMP, DVMRP, PIM-SM, static IP routing, PIM-DM, IPX-EIGRP
  • Manufacturer
    Cisco
NETWORKING
  • Cabling Type
    Ethernet 100Base-TX, Ethernet 10Base-T
  • MAC Address Table Size
    12K entries
  • Subcategory
    network hubs and switches
  • Subtype
    Fast Ethernet
  • Form Factor
    rack-mountable
  • Type
    Switch
  • Stackable
    stackable
  • Connectivity Technology
    wired
  • Features
    ARP support, DHCP support, IP-routing, IPv6 support, Syslog support, VLAN support, manageable, stackable
  • Compliant Standards
    IEEE 802.1D, IEEE 802.1Q, IEEE 802.1p, IEEE 802.1s, IEEE 802.1w, IEEE 802.1x, IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3ab, IEEE 802.3ad (LACP), IEEE 802.3af, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.3x
  • Ports Qty
  • Manageable
    Yes
  • Routing Protocol
    BGP-4, DVMRP, HSRP, IGMP, IGRP, IPX-EIGRP, OSPF, PIM-DM, PIM-SM, RIP-1, RIP-2, static IP routing
  • Switching Protocol
    Ethernet
  • Remote Management Protocol
    HTTP, RMON, SNMP 1, SNMP 2c, SNMP 3, Telnet
  • Communication Mode
    full-duplex, half-duplex
    PoE
POWER DEVICE
  • Nominal Voltage
    AC 120/230 V
  • Frequency Required
    50/60 Hz
  • Power Consumption Operational
    540 Watt
  • Type
    internal power supply
CAMERA
  • Installed Size
    16 MB
MISCELLANEOUS
  • MTBF
    166408 hour(s)
  • Height (Rack Units)
    1 m
  • Refurbished
    refurbished
CHASSIS
  • Installed Devices / Modules Qty
  • Supported Devices / Modules Qty
INTERFACE PROVIDED
  • Interface
    Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX, console
  • Qty
    1, 4, 48
  • Connector Type
    RJ-45, SFP (mini-GBIC)
  • Comments
    PoE, management
RAM
  • Installed Size
    128 MB
ENVIRONMENTAL PARAMETERS
  • Min Operating Temperature
    32 °F
  • Max Operating Temperature
    113 °F
  • Humidity Range Operating
    10 - 85%
HEADER
  • Brand
    Cisco
  • Product Line
    Cisco Catalyst
  • Model
    3750-48PS
  • Packaged Quantity
  • Compatibility
    PC
DIMENSIONS & WEIGHT
  • Width
    17.5 in
  • Depth
    14.9 in
  • Height
    1.7 in
  • Weight
    13.23 lbs
SOFTWARE
  • Type
    Enhanced Multilayer Software Image (EMI)
PORTS
  • Type
    10/100 (PoE)
  • Qty
PORTS (2ND)
  • Type
    SFP (mini-GBIC)
  • Qty
SLOT REQUIRED
  • Type
    none
GENERAL
  • Manufacturer
    Cisco

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Should power your stuff no issues, configuring it might be a issue if you have no background in the Cisco Ios but I would plug it in and see what happens, If they wiped it out and defaulted it you might have to do some messing around with it. Those switches were work horses in their day. If your ports are active on it should be no issue.

Reaction score
Should power your stuff no issues, configuring it might be a issue if you have no background in the Cisco Ios but I would plug it in and see what happens, If they wiped it out and defaulted it you might have to do some messing around with it. Those switches were work horses in their day. If your ports are active on it should be no issue.
Thank you! Yes I was able to plug it in and all the lights did light up. I believe there was a mode switch that if pressed was almost like a test procedure. Thank you for your input. The switch looks to be from 2008 and was a little worried powering up newer IP cameras. BTW i did buy the rack to get my feet wet and have a Dell 6700 Optiflex on the way for blue iris

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes I was able to plug it in and all the lights did light up. I believe there was a mode switch that if pressed was almost like a test procedure. Thank you for your input. The switch looks to be from 2008 and was a little worried powering up newer IP cameras. BTW i did buy the rack to get my feet wet and have a Dell 6700 Optiflex on the way for blue iris
The Switch does not care about 4k or roughly 8 Mega Pixels cams. Its got a pretty decent power budget for your standard cam but do not expect to run higher power PTZ' cams with it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I only plan to use 7 ports out of the 48 and will possiblly use the other ports at a later time maybe create a home network setup.
if you've not already done this - it would be worth pressing the reset button for long enough to set it back to defaults, for the case that there is still an existing configuration from the previous use of the device.
There could be all sorts of things to puzzle over and get in your way, such as VLANs, layer 3 configs, admin passwords etc.
Best to start from a known position.

I believe there was a mode switch that if pressed was almost like a test procedure.
Without looking at the specs - that's probably just changing the mode of the port LEDs to show a different set of status indications.

Reaction score
if you've not already done this - it would be worth pressing the reset button for long enough to set it back to defaults, for the case that there is still an existing configuration from the previous use of the device.
There could be all sorts of things to puzzle over and get in your way, such as VLANs, layer 3 configs, admin passwords etc.
Best to start from a known position.

Without looking at the specs - that's probably just changing the mode of the port LEDs to show a different set of status indications.
I believe I posted the specs, but if you leave the unit on it runs a self diagnostics check and all Lan ports and mode lights did light up amber/green

brutonuk

n3wb
Reaction score
Depends how many devices long term - I see you are only using a few to start with. My experience is cisco can only power around 75% of the ports and you will need 2 power supplies in the switch to use all ports. You need to look at poe or poe+. If I use an axis q6055 which is poe+ with cisco 3750 i still need to use a midspan in line as there is insufficient current to operate the PTZ.
I use them on oil rigs and windfarms as they are secure and robust switches but always a long process to set them up fully in the first place.