Clarification on "locale"

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying these cameras: US $939.0 |Pre sale HIKVISION DS 2CD2343G0 I 4MP IR Fixed Turret Network MINI Dome IP Camera H.265 SD card slot Face Detect 10PCS/lot-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The sellers says they're the international version. I plan to use these with my Control4 system, and the Hikvision NVR. Is there any reason not to buy the international version?

The only reason why I'm looking here is because this is the only seller I've found that can sell me these in BLACK.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying these cameras: US $939.0 |Pre sale HIKVISION DS 2CD2343G0 I 4MP IR Fixed Turret Network MINI Dome IP Camera H.265 SD card slot Face Detect 10PCS/lot-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The sellers says they're the international version. I plan to use these with my Control4 system, and the Hikvision NVR. Is there any reason not to buy the international version?

The only reason why I'm looking here is because this is the only seller I've found that can sell me these in BLACK.
4mp 1/3 sensor will be poor in low light. Buy some good cams and paint them or pay someone to paint them.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman, thanks for the reply! I've been absolutely overwhelmed with making a million decisions on my new house and just need to buy something. I guess I can get on board with painting them - I just need to know what to buy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I haven’t bought the Hikvision NVR yet. I haven’t bought anything yet. Just overwhelmed with the options. What would you buy for conveniently keeping an eye on your property? I’ve got a pool and a decent amount of property - I’m not really concerned about intruders, but more just want the convenience.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven’t bought the Hikvision NVR yet. I haven’t bought anything yet. Just overwhelmed with the options. What would you buy for conveniently keeping an eye on your property? I’ve got a pool and a decent amount of property - I’m not really concerned about intruders, but more just want the convenience.
I use a pc running blue iris. I would never use or recommend an nvr. However, if you do go with an nvr, match the cameras from the same brand. Dont rush into buying, you can install it later.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, then! ;)

Since you're not yet locked into an NVR, you should seriously consider using a dedicated PC running Blue Iris instead.

Far far more flexible, and much better features. And then you can pretty much use any good IP camera you want, and can mix and match brands and models to get exactly what you want.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It’s always worked out in the past for me. I just don’t have a ton of time and need something in place.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
From my experience, running the wires, installing the cameras, and setting up the router and other networking stuff so that the camera system itself does not pose a serious security risk to your network all take the most effort and time.

Because of that labor, it is best to really plan things carefully and not rush into things or else you end up buying again and installing again.

Most of us here have been through this the hard way to start. So we try to get other folks to jump past our mistakes and get started with things set up "right" the first time.

But I understand that some of this just has to be learned from experience.

It will delay getting things set up initially, of course, but ideally you can plan things so you end up with pretty much exactly what you'll ultimately want right from the start.

There's just a lot to digest.

Is there any particular deadline or reason to get this up and running immediately?

If so, and you're willing to re-do and re-buy a lot of the gear, you could get one of the kits with cameras and an NVR. Just be prepared to replace all of the cameras and the NVR later as you decide on more suitable equipment for your system.

If you can wait a while as you gather more info, then you can save some money and effort by getting what you really want to begin wihh.

Of course, I didn't do things that way! ;)

I'm just recommending that approach based on my experience.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s always worked out in the past for me. I just don’t have a ton of time and need something in place.
That logic is idiotic. Please buy the cameras you linked to, you deserve them for being lazy! In two months you are going to post about why your images are terrible at night. You were provided with a direct link to good cameras.

dhendriksen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I appreciate that J Sigmo, I really do. The biggest reason, is I travel a ton for work and have a ~24 month list of projects that I’m under the gun on once we move in. My wife wants the cameras, and that endless list of things I have to do doesn’t start until the house is done. So I have the next ~6 weeks to get the cameras decided upon and deployed. I just have limited capacity in those 6 weeks.

How would you suggest I go about it? Seek advice on each individual location based on what it’s looking at, distances, etc...? My goal is not to become an expert on surveillance. As it stands now, I’ve ran CAT6e to 8 locations where there’s a low voltage box. These are largely located near corners of the house and in the eaves.

I currently have a system from LUMA by Snap A/V and it’s been great. They’re just super expensive and I figured I’d explore more cost effective options.

I appreciate everyone’s help and guidance.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate that J Sigmo, I really do. The biggest reason, is I travel a ton for work and have a ~24 month list of projects that I’m under the gun on once we move in. My wife wants the cameras, and that endless list of things I have to do doesn’t start until the house is done. So I have the next ~6 weeks to get the cameras decided upon and deployed. I just have limited capacity in those 6 weeks.

How would you suggest I go about it? Seek advice on each individual location based on what it’s looking at, distances, etc...? My goal is not to become an expert on surveillance. As it stands now, I’ve ran CAT6e to 8 locations where there’s a low voltage box. These are largely located near corners of the house and in the eaves.

I currently have a system from LUMA by Snap A/V and it’s been great. They’re just super expensive and I figured I’d explore more cost effective options.

I appreciate everyone’s help and guidance.
Please enough with the crap about not having time. You were spoon fed the cameras.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misreading things, but that looks like an indoor-only camera.

Given that he is willing to use BI, he won't be tied to Hikvision or any other brand.

And given that he may well want to adjust the focal length to tweak things after installation, maybe there's a good low-light varifocal weatherproof turret style camera that would be a good starting point for the system.

Most of us prefer turret style because they don't require the constant cleaning that bullets do, and don't suffer from the internal reflections and dome degradation of the dome style.

A varifocal camera will let you adjust the angle of view after installation, which is handy. On the other hand, a fixed focal length lens will be a bit cheaper, and perhaps a bit larger aperture and maybe a bit sharper. But you will need to know exactly what lens you will want ahead of time.

Good low light performance is usually important. So it really is wise to look at that specification when comparing cameras.

Keep in mind that you can add cameras bit by bit over time, too. That's the way many systems evolve. Especially with a Blue Iris setup, you can add cameras as needed when you find places that need extra coverage, etc. And you can add them as you find time.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the camera with the strobe and siren is indoor... The non SL model that he originally linked to is outdoor rated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Which I appreciate. I’ll order these: DS-2CD2346G1-I/SL 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera-Hikvision

I’m sorry that my post was so frustrating to you. After your post I did seek clarification on what you meant; maybe I’m slow and they all look was the same but it wasn’t clear to me what you were recommending. I’ve got that now and I sincerely appreciate it.
It was recommending that you actually read through the specs.. but as noted by others now that you actually are not going to be tied to a hikvision NVR there are better options.