Clicking Sound from Amcrest IP2M-841

Bringea1

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is my first post here, but you guys look like a very knowledgeable and helpful community. I am really hoping you can help me out.

I recently began setup on a home camera network consisting of a server running Blue Iris, and 2 Amcrest IP2M-841 IP cameras, with intentions on building my setup as I become more familiar. My intention is to have these cameras as baby monitors in my young children's rooms at night.

One of the cameras is functioning well, however, the other is making a constant clicking sound, which in the silence of the night is extremely prominent. I have tried to contact Amcrest, but to this point they have only advised a factory reset, which did not remedy the problem.

I did find, that while the camera is wired to the router (and using the wired IP address in Blue Iris), the camera functions perfectly with no clicking sound. However (without even unplugging the ethernet cable) I switch to the wireless IP address in Blue Iris and force the camera to function over wifi, the camera functions seemingly correctly but the sound comes back.

Is this something any of you have heard of? Is there a way to remedy this? Is there an indoor wifi IP camera you would recommend I look at other than Amcrest?

Any help or words of wisdom are appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Maat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The clicking sound is often related to camera turning night vision/IR led on. Some cameras of this model have been known to misbehave and constantly change day/night mode. Maybe I am in the wrong track, since cable or wifi should not matter. Try to force it to day and later night mode for a few minutes at a time and see how it behaves in one and the other mode. And try to determine if the clicking sound is the same when switching to night/IR mode. You can also try adjusting senitivity if set to auto mode for switching day/night modes.
Also try to change physical location of it, just for troubleshooting, maybe to another room or something, and try to maintain lighting conditions while doing it. Maybe some small lighting fluctuation is making it misbehave.

Check if the camera has latest firmware, and if not, backup config, reset camera to defaults and update firmware. Then manually restore config, or set everything manually and check if it helped.
If not I would maybe issue a RMA/warranty claim.

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
friends don't let friends use wi-fi for their IP cams... :)

could be the wifi circuitry is causing some electrical noise that is picked up by the audio circuit.
just another reason to use a wired cam...