Clips & Archiving - Hard drive usage/selection

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Question on what would be the best setting based on my equipment.
I have a i7 with the OS & Blue Iris on a 80gb SSD, 1TB WD Black, 4TB Purple.
Currently i have Blue Iris continuous recording putting everything on the purple drive as i am concerned about wearing out the other drives prematurely. I have no issues with performance of they system now.
I notice the "Database" folder is rather small, would it be OK or better to have this folder on the SSD ?
I have a "new" folder on the Purple that is set at 750 GB then moves to "Stored" folder set at 2500 GB. Would it be OK or better to have the "new" folder on the Black drive?

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Question on what would be the best setting based on my equipment.
I have a i7 with the OS & Blue Iris on a 80gb SSD, 1TB WD Black, 4TB Purple.
Currently i have Blue Iris continuous recording putting everything on the purple drive as i am concerned about wearing out the other drives prematurely. I have no issues with performance of they system now.
I notice the "Database" folder is rather small, would it be OK or better to have this folder on the SSD ?
I have a "new" folder on the Purple that is set at 750 GB then moves to "Stored" folder set at 2500 GB. Would it be OK or better to have the "new" folder on the Black drive?

Thanks
yes the database should be on the SSD for better performance.
Leave the recording in the purple. No need to move any files. Just enlarge the new folder and delete after its full.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As fenderman indicated.
Keep the video files in the new folder on the purple drive. I would allocate 3600 GB to the new folder. And not use the saved folder. Set each camera to delete after the new folder. Never allocate 100% of a disk drive to BI. I allocate about 90% of the drive.

The way you have it currently set up you are doing twice as many writes to purple drive as needed.

The DB can be placed on the SSD.

hotwheels498

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks i was wondering why have a New & Saved on the same drive. I wasn't clear on that after watching all the HomeTech tutorial video's

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
is Bi doing anything to the Files when it moves them? because moving files on the same drive only updates the file index!
Not on the same drive, but again its pointless.