Clips, videos in application and UI3 are all broken, please help!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Finally had my BI running and was on my way, but at some point in the process of setting clips directories, losing clips and triggers in the app, then troubleshooting db repair by options inside the application or deleting the folder, I'm now left with a BI and UI3 that are not logging at clips to the application in Widows, meaning I see the time line blank, no clips, no triggers and UI3 let's me see just triggers but I cannot actually watch my motion videos. I have tried:

1. Killing BI, restarting Windows.
2. Repair and reconcile db via the application.
3. Changing directories from clips and archive tab, then force restarting BI, several times... Nothing.
4. Regenerate db from application.
5. Deleting the db directory in the file system. Then launching BI. No directory for created, so I did. Still not fixed.
6. Downgrading then upgrading the application to force installation process.

I'm not able to see my timline any clips in application. While UI3 let's me click on only the thumbnails, but videos failed to load with massive failures. See screen shot.

Any advice for me? Can I clean install, but saving my set up somehow?

Please help! I cannot view events!

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are those first 2 images from a smartphone and browser opening BI's UI3?

If so, what do you see when on a PC on the same LAN as the BI server OR on the BI server itself when you open Google Chrome and go to the same URL as you did on the phone?

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I see that it is a evaluation version, have you tried a full deletion and installation from scratch again? I would also follow the many examples on line of deleting the registry entries as well. The process is relatively quick versus trying to debug what settings were possibly changed and what their effect was

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had you going just fine last night in a TeamViewer session, and then you start messing with it again and changing things LOL.:lmao:

Whenever you rebuild the DB, you lose to the left all the previous alert clips. The files are still there, but the DB rebuild loses the individual tags for alerts.

Alerts will start showing from the DB rebuild forward, so trigger one of the cams and watch the alert show up.

The actual files will be in the location for New and Stored and Alerts, not the DB. The DB simply tells BI were to look for the files.

You should keep the DB on the SSD. Only Windows, BI, and the DB are on the SSD.

Only Alerts and New are on the HDD. And remember to change Alerts and New to delete by hard drive space and not limit by days and have them delete and not move. And make the Stored zero MB to insure they are not moving.

Remember not to allocate the entire HDD to BI and leave about 10% headroom so that as the drive fills up, it has room to save and delete.

Confirm you have the locations correct in BI.

Then you need to shut down the service and delete the DB folder and restart and let it rebuild. It might take some time before it is rebuilt and shows correctly in UI3.

Do all of this from on the BI computer not on your mobile or in UI3.

And don't change the port number again :lmao:

Last edited:

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had you going just fine last night in a TeamViewer session, and then you start messing with it again and changing things LOL.:lmao:

Whenever you rebuild the DB, you lose to the left all the previous alert clips. The files are still there, but the DB rebuild loses the individual tags for alerts.

Alerts will start showing from the DB rebuild forward, so trigger one of the cams and watch the alert show up.

The actual files will be in the location for New and Stored and Alerts, not the DB. The DB simply tells BI were to look for the files.

You should keep the DB on the SSD. Only Windows, BI, and the DB are on the SSD.

Only Alerts and New are on the HDD. And remember to change Alerts and New to delete by hard drive space and not limit by days and have them delete and not move. And make the Stored zero MB to insure they are not moving.

Remember not to allocate the entire HDD to BI and leave about 10% headroom so that as the drive fills up, it has room to save and delete.

Confirm you have the locations correct in BI.

Then you need to shut down the service and delete the DB folder and restart and let it rebuild. It might take some time before it is rebuilt and shows correctly in UI3.

Do all of this from on the BI computer not on your mobile or in UI3.

And don't change the port number again :lmao:

Thank you everyone that's responded! As I mentioned above I have tried a lot of what you guys suggested. URLs see good, paths are good. Stopped service and application, the db might have rebuilt but the application is just not accumulating new clips on the UI (not UI3), including continuous recording time line.

I'm talking about the new stuff, not the older clips @wittaj, it's been running for over 11 hours... No clips showing...

And I know, I know @wittaj you had me going and I was getting there too haha! But all I did was change the file locations from the applications, I swear . The files and folders delete didn't happen till a good few hours or panic haha!

Trippy thing is that now the UI3 Clips and Alerts show, but nothing in the application ...

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You added that camera after we disconnected, so make sure that UI3 isn't showing you ALL triggers and in the BI Computer may only be showing CONFIRMED alerts through DeepStack?

On the BI computer, go to the folder icon top left and select Cancelled Alerts and see if all these are showing up there?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You added that camera after we disconnected, so make sure that UI3 isn't showing you ALL triggers and in the BI Computer may only be showing CONFIRMED alerts through DeepStack?

On the BI computer, go to the folder icon top left and select Cancelled Alerts and see if all these are showing up there?
Nothing populated in the application. Not any flavor of Alerts, not the recording time line. Grabbed screens for your C is my SSD.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh - you are limiting your clips to one day LOL - so they go bye bye really fast...

Uncheck the Limit Clip Age.

Select Delete and not move to Stored - moving to stored will only cause issues and turn the HDD more than needed. The BI DB knows where it is and the whole system will be faster to just keep it all in the New folder.

What is the Alerts folder set to?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh - you are limiting your clips to one day LOL - so they go bye bye really fast...

Uncheck the Limit Clip Age.

Select Delete and not move to Stored - moving to stored will only cause issues and turn the HDD more than needed. The BI DB knows where it is and the whole system will be faster to just keep it all in the New folder.

What is the Alerts folder set to?
I wanted to limit the clips sizes to be 1 day slices... But I unchecked like you suggested, do you think that would affect what I'm seeing?

Alerts goes to V: drives Alerts folder under the BlueIris folder...

This is a really strange issue @wittaj because the recording time line doesn't populate either. I can see the clips in UI3 and the file system.

Reaction score
What version of BI are you running? When I upgraded from 5.4.5.3 to the latest 'stable' version, I started having problems with UI3 responses. I went back to 5.4.5.3 and all is well.

I noticed that you have an error warning on the status. What does it say?

1622485451125.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That isn't where you limit clip sizes - that is where it deletes them lol ..

it is in recording where you limit clip sizes and combine - BI defaults to 8 hour cup sizes but many run as 1 hour.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just spent over an hour trying to help @ProTapper with his BI issues', with no success. I think the allocation had been set too large (not enough free space), and that was keeping the clips from generating properly, but that's a guess, increasing the free space to 10%, and deleting the DB and regenerating, didn't solve the issue. As well a multitude of options I tried. He can only see one cameras clips at a time, no matter the settings. If he views all four cameras, no clips appear, in the clips window nor in the timeline view. Weird.
He's now going to do a slash and burn on BI and its registry entries once again, and start fresh.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just spent over an hour trying to help @ProTapper with his BI issues', with no success. I think the allocation had been set too large (not enough free space), and that was keeping the clips from generating properly, but that's a guess, increasing the free space to 10%, and deleting the DB and regenerating, didn't solve the issue. As well a multitude of options I tried. He can only see one cameras clips at a time, no matter the settings. If he views all four cameras, no clips appear, in the clips window nor in the timeline view. Weird.
He's now going to do a slash and burn on BI and its registry entries once again, and start fresh.
Really appreciate you @looney2ns! Leave it up to me to break BI beyond repair for just adding cameras and changing to HDD! LOL!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Really appreciate you @looney2ns! Leave it up to me to break BI beyond repair for just adding cameras and changing to HDD! LOL!
Maybe the third time of blowing out BI and trying again from scratch will fix it :lmao:

Is there a way we can lock his BI so he can't screw his settings up again LOL.

It was working fine last night, but nooooo, he has to start changing ports while I am TeamViewing in and then FUBARs after we are done:lmao:

Just giving you a little teasing LOL....it usually isn't this difficult getting it going.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI is designed to use 100% of the space allocated to it. limiting anything based upon time serves no purposes.

====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe the third time of blowing out BI and trying again from scratch will fix it :lmao:

Is there a way we can lock his BI so he can't screw his settings up again LOL.

It was working fine last night, but nooooo, he has to start changing ports while I am TeamViewing in and then FUBARs after we are done:lmao:

Just giving you a little teasing LOL....it usually isn't this difficult getting it going.
This guy man!

I suppose the deserve the trolling and you've earned the rights AJ!

But really man... I didn't do anything this time !