Color Setting on on 2231?

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I ordered many of mine via Aliexpress years ago (starting in the 2012-13 time frame) before I was aware of the ones available from Andy/Empire Tech, but would definitely consider him with any future purchases. knock on wood, I only had one cam with a built win mic that didn't work well (in a batch of 4, 1 mic didn't work like the others). I contacted the seller about it and he only offered to give me a $5 discount on another model that he said had better quality mics. I ended up just keeping it and using it where I don't care about having audio w/ the video feed.

Here's a list of the models ordered via Aliexpress that I've ordered in batches over the years. Are you aware of any that can be updated without the risk of bricking them? Some of them have minor quirks (like mentioned above if not just a dud mic or faulty connection under a black seal over the wire) and it would be nice if they could be updated or at least loaded with the latest available English/international f/w versions to make them more uniform. However, if not they still technically work so it's not a big deal just using them as is.

Dahua 3 MP IPC-HDW4300C
Dahua 4 MP IPC-HDW4421C
Dahua 4 MP IPC-HDW4431C-A
Dahua 4 MP IPC-HDW4431C-A-V2
Dahua 4 MP IPC-HDW4433C-A

HikVision 4 MP DS-2CD3345-I
Even if they can't be upgraded, these cams were inexpensive enough to buy large batches of them at a time for what I use to pay or less for just one IP camera back in the 2005-2010 time frame. I think I paid around $750 for the last outdoor rated dome Toshiba camera in 2010 or 2011! It is now obsolete since it doesn't support the latest codecs even with the latest firmware Toshiba made for it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Even if they can't be upgraded, these cams were inexpensive enough to buy large batches of them at a time for what I use to pay or less for just one IP camera back in the 2005-2010 time frame. I think I paid around $750 for the last outdoor rated dome Toshiba camera in 2010 or 2011! It is now obsolete since it doesn't support the latest codecs even with the latest firmware Toshiba made for it.
There are many issues with the crap china region cameras...the starlights have significantly better images...they are only 30-70 more...your comparison to 2005 is irrelevant.

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are many issues with the crap china region cameras...the starlights have significantly better images...they are only 30-70 more...your comparison to 2005 is irrelevant.
True and I agree, was just making a point on how far IP cams have come since! You definitely pay for what you get.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you aware of any that can be updated without the risk of bricking them?
Take a look at the first post here: Dahua Firmware Mod Kit + Modded Dahua Firmware

It looks like there's a firmware file that should work with the 4421, and another with the 4431. You can compare the version # with what you have now. I updated nine 4431 series cameras (not your specific model) with the EOS firmware and it went without a hitch. It brought them to the same feature and reliability level as the international cameras up to a couple of months ago. There was a new firmware release for the international cameras a couple of months ago, and they have now leapfrogged ahead with new features. There's always the risk of bricking something attempting a firmware update.

At the time I bought the nine 4431s, I would have had only 4 starlights for the same money. Where I live the problems are mainly animals instead of people. The value of being to see what's happening and remedy it has been much greater than I anticipated. In my eyes these cameras have already paid for themselves, so if any of them ever die, I'll shed no tears. With lower cost starlights available now, I go with them for new additions. When the even better sensors than what the 2mp starlights currently use become reasonably priced I'll probably want to replace all the 4431s with them anyway.

(I've had and still have problems with feral cats, skunks, packrats, coyotes, raccoons, and invader birds in the chicken coop. The 4431s don't see them at night as well as the starlights do, but they see them well enough for me to know what's going on).

IpCamManCf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback on your firmware updating experiences. I haven't compared the firmware versions of my last batch, but I've compared others before and noticed that they sometimes came with different versions. That could very well be the reason why just the one has a mic with lower sound volume even though the filter is turned off.

I've been able to spot rats, cats, racoons, opossums, squirrels, chicken hawks (eyeballing my koi), etc. on my cams over the years so spotting wildlife is definitely another potential use of the cams. The rats and squirrels like to try and get food out the my koi feeder so I've had to use metal feeders and also put metal hardware cloth on the bottoms to help keep them from being able to mess with them. Knock on wood, ever since I got rid of my cumquat/tangerine tree I haven't noticed anymore rats around or show up on cameras since. The squirrels actually ate or took a bite and just drop them on the ground the majority of the time before I could pick and eat the ripe fruit myself anyway.

I'm currently requesting a price from Andy and may actually order one of the 2MP Starlight varifocal lens cams for use with ALPR duties. I have a couple of 4 and 6 MP cams with 6mm lenses, but they have to be fairly close to vehicles in order to be able to clearly read tags so hopefully a varifocal Starlight will help. I've found that the motorcycles are the most difficult plates to capture due to them being smaller in size and also because the riders tend to travel faster too,