Combatting Racism using a wired only camera setup

mattp

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@actran gave you the option of using the SD card slot on the camera.
Since you are on such a limited budget, that may be your only option.
The cheapest way to do that would be to buy a POE switch instead and that would provide power to the cameras. You could then plug the switch to your router and access the cameras through your computer over the local network. I've never done this before, but at that point you may be able to download any video directly to your PC. If not you could physically remove the card from the camera.

Here's a switch that can power the cameras:

(@EMPIRETECANDY I thought you sold switches, but I didn't see any at your store when I looked. Regardless, he wants a cheap scaled down one for a single purpose and I'm not sure you carried the 5 port version.)

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Well guys the ball is rolling and I have purchased the recommended cameras with wall mounts from empiretech.

However, I couldn’t order from the site with shipping to UK and despite finding the recommended nvr on Amazon for $200, it wouldn’t allow me to ship hat item specifically to the UK. So in short, I don’t have an NvR.

I have checked the UK Amazon s as no hzve found similar looking nvr’s within budget but would appreciate your more knowledgeable opinions in terms of what to purchase.

So many thanks in advance.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well guys the ball is rolling and I have purchased the recommended cameras with wall mounts from empiretech.

However, I couldn’t order from the site with shipping to UK and despite finding the recommended nvr on Amazon for $200, it wouldn’t allow me to ship hat item specifically to the UK. So in short, I don’t have an NvR.

I have checked the UK Amazon s as no hzve found similar looking nvr’s within budget but would appreciate your more knowledgeable opinions in terms of what to purchase.

So many thanks in advance.
Drop andy empiretechandy a line and see what he can do for you ..

Do you have a PC?

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi mat

I don’t have a pc but I do have a couple of capable laptops with Ryzen chips etc which I hope to hook up to the nvr for real time viewing. I have been in touch via email and purchased two cans of the empire store. But I can’t order the nvr from them directly or their Amazon store so settled for the cams and hope to source a compatible nvr from the uk. I just need help finding one that meets my needs.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi mat

I don’t have a pc but I do have a couple of capable laptops with Ryzen chips etc which I hope to hook up to the nvr for real time viewing. I have been in touch via email and purchased two cans of the empire store. But I can’t order the nvr from them directly or their Amazon store so settled for the cams and hope to source a compatible nvr from the uk. I just need help finding one that meets my needs.
I'd hold off on the NVR .. and try out Blue Iris and see if you like it ..

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Mat

Unfortunately blueiris requires internet and my situation requires a setup that does not require internet whatsoever. Which is the reasoning behind me seeking advice on cams and nvr that can operate without the need for an online connection.

I truly appreciate any advice and you taking the time to respond here.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Mat

Unfortunately blueiris requires internet and my situation requires a setup that does not require internet whatsoever. Which is the reasoning behind me seeking advice on cams and nvr that can operate without the need for an online connection.

I truly appreciate any advice and you taking the time to respond here.
Blue Iris does not require internet except to download the program.

No different than having to download the NVR program if you do not like using the NVR GUI thru a web browser (that also doesn't need internet even though it is called a web browser).

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey @wittaj !

As always I appreciate your advice. I will look into blueiris for sure. That aside, could I be so bold as to ask you to search Amazon uk for an nvr that meets my needs. I went with your recommendation's but was unable to ship the nvr here to the UK. It’s a mine field for the inexperienced.

Your assistance thus far has put me at ease despite the ongoing nonsense.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @wittaj

I will be looking into this setup. Still hopeful for your advice on a uk based nvr that suits me needs. Thanks a bunch

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been watching the thread over the weekend hoping for some nvr advice. I really hope you guys haven’t forgotten me.

I looked into blueiris and think a decent nvr is perhaps best. Please please advise.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you contacted @EMPIRETECANDY to ask his advice, as you were advised previously?

I would avoid the Amcrest NVR.
I have and was directed to the Amazon store. Which also has restrictions on shipping nvr to the UK.

It seems nvr recommendations lean towards empirecandy. However, it’s not an option for me because of location. So again, if you have any nvr recommendations that I can ship from Amazon US or better still, are aware of one that I can access without the need for wireless, I’d be greatful. I’ve had the cameras for some time now, just waiting on nvr advice to set the system up.

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Any advice on the nvr front? I’m watching the thread daily but support and advice seems to have dropped off…

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the Amazon US link to empiretech NVRs. Any one of them will be sufficient for your needs.

Or reach out to him direct for pricing. He ships to the UK all the time.

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey @wittaj

Really glad to see you reply here. I have contacted the seller via email. He directed me to his Amazon store for international shipping. Unfortunately, both nvr’s in my price $200-300 range are unavailable.

I have come across other 4 channel nvrs but essentially, I have been waiting on direction or Suggestion on a suitable alternative. I have the cameras and wall mount from empire, could you please recommend an nvr alternative that I can access wired and doesn’t need/use internet to function. I’ve seen many “similar looking” nvrs on AmazonUK but again, waiting on advice and recommendations. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While the Amcrest above isn't a highly recommended NVR due to it being a watered down version of a Dahua/Empiretech and will have some limitations, it will work with your cameras as EmpireTech cameras and Amcrest are both made by Dahua.

If that is all you can afford, it will at least record. But like you say every post you don't want internet, so you aren't concerned with the alert ability to a phone anyway...

Just remember you get what you pay for.

MHenny33

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey wiitaj

The amcrest links posted above all link to cameras, not nvr. Also will any dahua nvr work with the cameras you’ve recommended.? I’ve see a few on Amazon uk all with the price range. Perhaps it’s a dollar/pound conversion thing because $200 -$300 seems to have a decent range of dahua nvrs.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes dahua nvr will work with empiretech cameras.