Comparison NVR System

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont use NVR's anymore and will never in the future. But if you choose to go the NVR route, then match the NVR to the camera brand.
You're a mind-reader; answered my question I was editing in before I even hit "save." Thanks!

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
Trust me a blue iris system will be the best thing that ever happened to them.
Unfortunately there's not a single person on site who is advanced enough to support something like BlueIris on their own (there's not even a single person on site who's advanced enough to keep up with standard Windows updates on their own), so that's why this is going to be an NVR system. I've got to work within my constraints, which limits the playing field quite a bit. Most viewing and usage will be done off-site, as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's not a single person on site who is advanced enough to support something like BlueIris on their own (there's not even a single person on site who's advanced enough to keep up with standard Windows updates on their own), so that's why this is going to be an NVR system. I've got to work within my constraints, with limits the playing quite a bit.
This is a common misconception. Blue iris does not need any on site support or windows updates. You see, it doesnt matter whether you use a pc or nvr, you must not open ports to the internet. Use a vpn to keep it secure. If you choose to open ports, the NVR is just as or even more vulnerable than a windows pc. Just because the NVR maker is negligent by failing to provide timely firmware updates, doesnt mean you dont need them. With a blue iris machine, its much easier to remotely manage it if you wish because you can use something like teamview or chrome remote desktop installed directly on the machine itself.

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a common misconception. Blue iris does not need any on site support or windows updates. You see, it doesnt matter whether you use a pc or nvr, you must not open ports to the internet. Use a vpn to keep it secure. If you choose to open ports, the NVR is just as or even more vulnerable than a windows pc. Just because the NVR maker is negligent by failing to provide timely firmware updates, doesnt mean you dont need them. With a blue iris machine, its much easier to remotely manage it if you wish because you can use something like teamview or chrome remote desktop installed directly on the machine itself.
I suppose you could simply let a PC system sit without regular Windows updates if you're only using it for VMS and it's isolated via VPN, but I'd much prefer a custom-built firmware update versus the kerfuffle that MS updates cause at times. My user base still can't Print to PDF without a walk-through often times and have to ask me, "Do these emails look suspicious?" on a very regular basis, and putting another PC into the mix just isn't an option I want to pursue. There will be no one to support the system once it's up and running 95% of the time, which means the system needs to be straight forward enough that someone whose computer skills don't include knowledge of what Alt+Tab does and primarily uses only touchscreen tablets can still use it. It's a big ask.

The system security isn't that big of an issue as the cameras will be located on a separate network from the main internet connected devices, and they really don't can't who can view the stream. The main problem is vandalism and theft from the homeless population, and the system's users (who are mainly off site) want to be able to stream audio and video through their phones of past events along with live streams. They'd prefer a completely cloud-based wireless system (which I know everywhere here hates, but again, the security of the system itself isn't a concern in this scenario) so there's no storage on-site to steal or be destroyed, but those options there are more limited, lower performing, and more costly, and this building is simply too large for reliable wireless video coverage. Plus it takes away the options of 24/7 recording. Even Cat5e will be near its transmission limit for a couple locations.

Thanks again for the time! I'm off to delve into YouTube for a while to see if I can't find some good Dahua comparison nighttime reviews with a fair amount of motion.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose you could simply let a PC system sit without regular Windows updates if you're only using it for VMS and it's isolated via VPN, but I'd much prefer a custom-built firmware update versus the kerfuffle that MS updates cause at times. My user base still can't Print to PDF without a walk-through often times and have to ask me, "Do these emails look suspicious?" on a very regular basis, and putting another PC into the mix just isn't an option I want to pursue. There will be no one to support the system once it's up and running 95% of the time, which means the system needs to be straight forward enough that someone whose computer skills don't include knowledge of what Alt+Tab does and primarily uses only touchscreen tablets can still use it. It's a big ask.

The system security isn't that big of an issue as the cameras will be located on a separate network from the main internet connected devices, and they really don't can't who can view the stream. The main problem is vandalism and theft from the homeless population, and the system's users (who are mainly off site) want to be able to stream audio and video through their phones of past events along with live streams. They'd prefer a completely cloud-based wireless system (which I know everywhere here hates, but again, the security of the system itself isn't a concern in this scenario) so there's no storage on-site to steal or be destroyed, but those options there are more limited, lower performing, and more costly, and this building is simply too large for reliable wireless video coverage. Plus it takes away the options of 24/7 recording. Even Cat5e will be near its transmission limit for a couple locations.

Thanks again for the time! I'm off to delve into YouTube for a while to see if I can't find some good Dahua comparison nighttime reviews with a fair amount of motion.
You can disable all windows updates. That is what you are doing when you use an NVR that is updated once a year and then after a few years is deemed EOL and never updated. I dont see why you think an NVR will be easier to use for someone who doesnt have any basic skills. You dont need any more skill to use blue iris or the webserver over an NVR once everything is setup.
If you are worried about theft of the system, with something like BI you can setup a cheap nas, hide it, and record there as well as the server pc. If they dont already have an alarm, they should install one.

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
You can disable all windows updates. That is what you are doing when you use an NVR that is updated once a year and then after a few years is deemed EOL and never updated. I dont see why you think an NVR will be easier to use for someone who doesnt have any basic skills. You dont need any more skill to use blue iris or the webserver over an NVR once everything is setup.
If you are worried about theft of the system, with something like BI you can setup a cheap nas, hide it, and record there as well as the server pc. If they dont already have an alarm, they should install one.
All very good points. I hadn't really considered EOL on the NVR systems, which is definitely an oversight on my part. Cost of entry on a PC VMS and ease of setup is another strong point of contention. They want this up and running in about a week.

I'd say destruction is more of a concern that theft. When people have gotten into the building before (only through the outside entry ways and not into the main building), they're usually so drunk or high that they just piss in the floor or strew their trash everywhere. That's only occurred when someone forgets to lock an outside door, but others doors have been found left open in the past by accident, too. Thankfully no one ever entered during those days (at least that they know of). But fire is a major concern, as well as storms. There have been several tornadoes within this town in the past 10 years. One only missed this building by about a mile. Obviously that kind of destruction creates a lot more problems than just video footage, but they'd still like some sort of off-site back-up. A NAS with a subscription service backup could probably accomplish that just fine, though.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used to buy store bought systems. Those DVR/NVR units never had an update the entire time I owned them.

When I finally made the decision to up the system from "store bought" systems and start the conversion from analog to IP cameras, I learned that all NVRs are not created the same. A cheap NVR can be had, but is limited in the incoming bandwidth.

Once I planned out the system and used all the tools here, I concluded that the NVR needed to be able to keep up with all the cameras exceeded the price of a used PC and Blue Iris.

I have since made the switch to Blue Iris and just wow! The developer is ALWAYS pushing out updates. You can chose if you want them or not. Still being new to the system, I am updating after people here seem to think it is stable, but you can certainly let it run on whatever version you first install with. Plenty of people here still running Version 4.0.

I find it much easier to use than any DVR/NVR I have had. It is simple to do playback and dial it in to whatever options you want or desire. Most of which are just not possible with an NVR.

You can absolutely set it up and walk away like you do an NVR, but you will find that there is so much flexibility that I am in it more than I care to admit trying different things. But that is my choice and not a requirement or prerequisite of using the system.

Sure I have questions and try to find answers here and if not I post them here - sometimes they are answered and sometimes they aren't LOL, but you typically don't get the stupid Amazon comments to questions - you know the "I don't have this software, so I can't help you" - like why does someone waste everyone's time with that response on Amazon is amazing to me.

And the nice thing about Blue Iris is that you are then not tied to a particular brand of cameras and can basically use whatever you want.

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, Wittaj. After watching several videos of the UI3 interface, I have to say, I'm seeing the light already. And fenderman, I plan on doing a lot more reading this weekend, but I found this comparison video in the forums from DannyLu. I sure appreciate your patience in explaining things! It's know it's hard when you've got the knowledge of something but it seems like someone still doesn't want to give it the credit it deserves. So again, just know how much I appreciate your time today!

Here's the comparison video of the Reolink 4K and the Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-L(U). Man, that night time difference is a no brainer!

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman, just thought I'd update you to let you know I've seen the (low) light. :) I've narrowed down our camera purchase to either 2.8mm IPC-T2347G-LU or IPC-T5442TM-AS. I don't have any plans to use the built-in LEDs on the Hik camera, so I'm leaning towards the Dahua since it has color mode with no additional illumination, but also has the option for its built-in IR. There are street lights on each corner of the building, and an additional streetlight at the center of the building on the other side of the road. So I'm hoping that will be plenty of illumination to get good color mode performance without using on-board lighting.

I wish I could find a direct comparison of these two cameras. It seems like they're both so good that I'm probably splitting hairs at this point, which is why I'm leaning towards the Dahua since it also gives the option for IR mode if the color mode isn't good enough in some areas of the exterior without the LEDs.

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just for info - today i get my new Dahua cameras, and than i can test the full potential of BI5 - but at the moment with only 1.5 cameras (old rEolink, Dahua Door Cam) i am very glad i have choosen BI5 - you can't compare it with one of the NVR i have tested (Dahua, Reolink) - its so powerfull and i am so glad i sent the NVR back - thanks :D