Comparison NVR System

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello is there somewhere a good comparison of NVR System.

Because of that my Dahua NVR doesn't boot anymore after firmware up and downgrade, i am testing the Reolink NVR.

But the Reolink NVR, has too problems, with browser, and i can't get the Dahua Door Cam working with.

Is there somewhere a really good NVR, for :
  1. recording 24/7
  2. a good Motion Detection for all types of cameras
  3. a Good GUI, for playing the Motion Detection
  4. integrate my Reolinks camera and 1-2 Dahua cameras
  5. need 8 PoE Ports maybe i can use an extra Poe Switch for that
  6. Would like to integrate the Cam Pictures (1 in 1 or 9 in1 ) on a HomeAutomation Browser Screen (Firefox/Chrome) - it should run in a Firefox and Chrome Browser.
  7. Budget is about 300-500 euros for a NVR with 16 Ports (the actual testing Reolink NVR RLN16-410 is about 306 €)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello is there somewhere a good comparison of NVR System.

Because of that my Dahua NVR doesn't boot anymore after firmware up and downgrade, i am testing the Reolink NVR.

But the Reolink NVR, has too problems, with browser, and i can't get the Dahua Door Cam working with.

Is there somewhere a really good NVR, for :
  1. recording 24/7
  2. a good Motion Detection for all types of cameras
  3. a Good GUI, for playing the Motion Detection
  4. integrate my Reolinks camera and 1-2 Dahua cameras
  5. need 8 PoE Ports maybe i can use an extra Poe Switch for that
  6. Would like to integrate the Cam Pictures (1 in 1 or 9 in1 ) on a HomeAutomation Browser Screen (Firefox/Chrome) - it should run in a Firefox and Chrome Browser.
  7. Budget is about 300-500 euros for a NVR with 16 Ports (the actual testing Reolink NVR RLN16-410 is about 306 €)
Reolink is crap, they are a company that has employees post fake reviews. They also dont offer large sensor cameras with great night vision.
If you want something better than an NVR, start exploring VMS pc based NVRs like blue iris, milestone, network optix.

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, i too think that the Reolink NVR is crap.

I have here a unraid Systen (NAS + some docker TVheadend, FHEM, Grafana. ... ) maybe it is better to change all to a win10Pro System and use BlueIris?

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just saw that here @ IPCamTalk in the store NVR are sold ... but i think these are the same which Reolink and Dahua sells?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just saw that here @ IPCamTalk in the store NVR are sold ... but i think these are the same which Reolink and Dahua sells?
You won't find anything in the store here that is from Reolink.
Everything from Reolink is garbage. not just NVR's.
It is either Dahua or Hikvision rebrands in the IPcamtalk store.
Study here: Cliff Notes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As a general rule, do not upgrade your Surveillance equipment unless there is an ABSOLUTE reason to do so. Read the post on the forum of the people that have bricked there equipment.

I personally have never upgrade a camera as there are no additional new features needed. There no reason to upgrade for SECURITY if your network is set up correctly.

-------------------------------------

When looking at an NVR the critical comparison is the inbound bandwidth. With modern cameras you will run out of inbound bandwidth processing before PORTS. If an NVR is a specified as an "8" adding a POE switch will not allow you to process more than 8 cameras.

As a general rule buy more ports than you think you will need. If you have 8 cameras buy a 16 port NVR.

-------------------------------------

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah i know "Never update a running system" - the problem was the Dahua NVR didn't work well - with Firmware V3 the Browser didn't get well - no video playback in chrome and Firefox, with V4 the Motion Detection didn't work -

But now i will switch to Blue Iris.

Can you please check my PC i will order for Blue Iris?
Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p SFF | Core i 4000 Series
i7-4770 | 16 GB | 240 GB SSD | DVD-ROM | Win 10 Pro

For the start i will include 7*5MP Camera (running with 5fps) recording 24/7 with Motion Detecting.

And the PoE Switch will be a : Netgear GS308PP 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet LAN PoE Switch (mit 8x PoE+ 83W erweiterbar, Plug-and-Play, Desktop- oder Rack-Montage, robustes und lüfterloses Metallgehäuse)

You say the REolink camera are gabage, i have order 4 pieces of the RLC-520 5MP with POE, for about 50€ per piece - are there somewhere better cameras in this budget? +/- 30 Euro?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Look at the stats of other BI systems. The most important number is MP/s. it is not the number of cameras.

I always record all cameras continuously, that way I never miss anything. Is use motion detection for notifications.

I use the netgear GS308PP I have had no issues with that switch.

On the PC that is a very old processor, but will meet your needs of 5 cameras an a low frame rate. The SSD is great of windows 10 OS and BI. You will need to add a surveillance harddrive like a WD purple in the Small form factor case to record the video.

The reolink cameras have non standard behaviors, that create problems with the video and with motion processing in BI. They also do not work very well at night in low light.

At the low end look at amcrest UltraHD 5MP.

Not sure of price in the EU.
1) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
2) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
3) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
look at
N22AL12 ............ New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you are interested in International Dahua cameras, a forum member sells dahua (and some Hikvision) and ships world wide. You can read some of the members recommendations on his service. He also provides cameras to other forum member for evaluation and reviews.
You can email him for a quote, or purchase from his Aliexpress store or his Amazon store. The cameras are fully upgradable, he posts upgrade software when available.

Current supply may be limited do to the Covid-19. Do to Covid-19 shipping has also gotten slow. I recommend email andy

Andy
@EMPIRETECANDY
kingsecurity2014@163.com
Andy's ipcamtalk vendor forum: EmpireTech Andy
Andy's AliExpress store: Empire Technology Co., Ltd - Amazing prodcuts with exclusive discounts on AliExpress
Andy's Amazon store: EmpireTech-Andy @ Amazon.com:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thnaks for the infos, do you thinke the i7-4770 is to small? will look for a i7-6770 maybe i find a good refurbished one.

Will send back the 4 Reolinks camera, (for testing i have an old Reolink and a old Dahua Camera here)

The amcrast has a good price, but think if i buy new cameras i will buy the IPC-T2431T-AS form Andy but have to check which Lens is better for me.
But just saw the Amcrest IP8M-T2499EW-40MM 8MP for 104$ ... but than i need a better PC :D

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the i7-4770 will work for you at 5 cameras at 5 FPS. The i7-6770 is a better CPU.

On cameras do not depend on the number of Megapixels. Look at the sensor size, in general bigger is better. Sensor Size Chart

Start small with one camera and test it out in multiple locations. Some people use a variable focus camera to determine the correct lens stup

sn0000py

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So i found my new Blue Iris Device :D

Acer Veriton X6660G i7-9700 16GB 512GB SSD Win10 Pro
storno Dell Precision 3431 SFF GKTWG i7-9700 16GB/512GB SSD Intel UHD 630 Win10Pro (because no stock and had to wait 4 extra days :O )
WD Purple WD40PURZ - 4 TB 5400 rpm 64 MB 3,5 Zoll SATA 6 Gbit/s

This should be enough power for all my need ;) and maybe i can bring my Docker from Unraid to this system too lets see

thanks for all help :D

Last edited:

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
Reolink is crap, they are a company that has employees post fake reviews. They also dont offer large sensor cameras with great night vision.
If you want something better than an NVR, start exploring VMS pc based NVRs like blue iris, milestone, network optix.
I came across this forum after looking for comparisons between the Reolink D800 and B800, and the general consensus I'm seeing is that Reolink is crap and to use Dahua, Hikvision, or Amcrest. However, in YouTube reviews I've seen with comparison footage, the Reolink seems to outshine all three of those brands, especially at night in videos from The Hook Up's channel. Am I missing some sort of bias from his channel that puts the Reolink into a more favorable position? Because I gotta say, I was pretty sold on them until I came to this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I came across this forum after looking for comparisons between the Reolink D800 and B800, and the general consensus I'm seeing is that Reolink is crap and to use Dahua, Hikvision, or Amcrest. However, in YouTube reviews I've seen with comparison footage, the Reolink seems to outshine all three of those brands, especially at night in videos from The Hook Up's channel. Am I missing some sort of bias from his channel that puts the Reolink into a more favorable position? Because I gotta say, I was pretty sold on them until I came to this forum.
I have deleted the link to his video and channel. It is gloried finely produced spam. Sure he compares reolink to crappy dahua and hik cameras. Dahua and hik make junk as well as excellent cameras. He is not doing a proper review. Most importantly he doesnt test the cameras with actual movement. In low the the reolinks trick you by increasing the exposure to 1/12 which makes the still image appear good while any movement will create motion blur.

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
I have deleted the link to his video and channel. It is gloried finely produced spam. Sure he compares reolink to crappy dahua and hik cameras. Dahua and hik make junk as well as excellent cameras. He is not doing a proper review.
Thanks. That's what I was wondering - if there was a bias by comparing a higher quality camera to lower quality ones to make it look better (though even so, I still thought it looked pretty good, especially with the text rendering tests at night time). Do you have any suggestions for what appropriately comparable models from Dahua and Hik I ought to be looking at to compare to the Reolink for a fair comparison? I'm sure somebody out there has some good side-by-side video comparisons out there with the appropriate apples-to-apples models, too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I was wondering - if there was a bias by comparing a higher quality camera to lower quality ones to make it look better (though even so, I still thought it looked pretty good, especially with the text rendering tests at night time). Do you have any suggestions for what appropriately comparable models from Dahua and Hik I ought to be looking at to compare to the Reolink for a fair comparison? I'm sure somebody out there has some good side-by-side video comparisons out there with the appropriate apples-to-apples models, too.
The more I look at his video the more disturbed I am by the dishonesty. The dahua/amcrest(which is made by dahua)/hik cameras he tests are all using 2.8mm lenses which provide a wider view than the 4mm lens of the reolink so of course you will not get the same pixels per inch. That alone disqualifies his entire comparison.

If you want to spend 50 bux a camera stick with the reolink and use their NVR's because despite their claims they will not work properly with blue iris due to iframe limitations. However if you want some GREAT cameras with superior low light and night vision capabilities, see the threads on the dahua startlight 4mp and hikvision low light cameras that use the large 1/1.8" sensor which is great at night.

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
The more I look at his video the more disturbed I am by the dishonesty. The dahua/amcrest(which is made by dahua)/hik cameras he tests are all using 2.8mm lenses which provide a wider view than the 4mm lens of the reolink so of course you will not get the same pixels per inch. That alone disqualifies his entire comparison.

If you want to spend 50 bux a camera stick with the reolink and use their NVR's because despite their claims they will not work properly with blue iris due to iframe limitations. However if you want some GREAT cameras with superior low light and night vision capabilities, see the threads on the dahua startlight 4mp and hikvision low light cameras that use the large 1/1.8" sensor which is great at night.
Thanks for that info! Edit: He does cover the focal length and FOV pretty extensively within that video, though, so I didn't feel like it was misinformation. The Amcrest, Hikvision, and Dahua were the top 3 rated for their FOV, so that's something we'll have to consider - whether we use more cameras with a lower FOV to try and get the best clarify for our needs, or if a higher FOV will still provide us what we are looking for with less hardware needed.

I probably should have specified, but BlueIris compatibility is not a concern, as we are only considering an NVR-based solution. Within that constraint, the biggest thing we're looking for is accurate facial feature recognition in low light environments with on-camera IR illumination (no spotlights - we are next door to the homeless outreach center and spotlights invite rocks being thrown). Wider FOV and low focal lengths will obviously hinder that to a degree. I viewed the 4MP starlight sensor Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED night time B&W video with no additional illumination from this forum thread, but I wasn't impressed with the artifacting it displayed.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info!

I probably should have specified, but BlueIris compatibility is not a concern, as we are only considering an NVR-based solution. Within that constraint, the biggest thing we're looking for is accurate facial feature recognition in low light environments with on-camera IR illumination (no spotlights - we are next door to the homeless outreach center and spotlights invite rocks being thrown). Wider FOV and low focal lengths will obviously hinder that to a degree. I viewed the 4MP starlight sensor Dahua IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED night time B&W video with no additional illumination from this forum thread, but I wasn't impressed with the artifacting it displayed.
There is an IR version as well. You need to compare apples to apples not color night vision to IR night vision. You also need to compare video with movement not stills. The sensor in that camera is one of the best available at this price point. If you think the reolink will come close you are sorely mistaken. I urge you to purchase both to see for yourself.

PerlAddict

n3wb
Reaction score
There is an IR version as well. You need to compare apples to apples not color night vision to IR night vision. You also need to compare video with movement not stills. The sensor in that camera is one of the best available at this price point. If you think the reolink will come close you are sorely mistaken. I urge you to purchase both to see for yourself.
I really appreciate the input! If using a Dahau system, would you recommend using their own branded NVR (looking for a 16-channel)?

Edit: This thread was created because a user was specifically having an issue with the Dahua NVR and was unhappy with their system, but assuming for my sake that the option to go with a more customizable BlueIris is not on the table, is it best to match up the camera and NVR brands or is there a solid stand-alone NVR company?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I really appreciate the input! If using a Dahau system, would you recommend using their own branded NVR (looking for a 16-channel)?
I dont use NVR's anymore and will never in the future. But if you choose to go the NVR route, then match the NVR to the camera brand.