Reolink 4K vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-L Footage Comparison!

DannyLu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post on this great forum.

After a recent attempted break-in I decided to install some CCTV. I went for the 4K Reolink NVR system as a quick Amazon buy.

I quickly realised that the night time video quality was never going to capture enough detail to identify someone accurately.

So, after doing some more detailed research (Forums are great) I decided to try out the Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-L(U).

As I needed a lockdown project I decided to put together a comparison video. Hope someone finds it interesting (uploaded one 4K).

Dan

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

First post on this great forum.

After a recent attempted break-in I decided to install some CCTV. I went for the 4K Reolink NVR system as a quick Amazon buy.

I quickly realised that the night time video quality was never going to capture enough detail to identify someone accurately.

So, after doing some more detailed research (Forums are great) I decided to try out the Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-L(U).

As I needed a lockdown project I decided to put together a comparison video. Hope someone finds it interesting (uploaded one 4K).

Dan

Nice job @DannyLu

For those following the 4MP Hikvision captures less pixels than a 8MP camera so during the day when the scene has a lot of light you'll see more details in most 8MP cameras.

The next video I would like to see is a 1/1.8" sensor Hikvision or Dahua vs the Reolink ( which typically has more affordable components / less performant ). You should see some significant differences imho.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For those following:

For the same H FOV angle ( assuming effective pixels - compression and environment may affect this, example foggy - low light )

8MP / "4K UHD" at 90 degrees has an ID range of about 25 feet ( to the 100 ppf )
2MP / "1080P" at 90 degrees has an ID range of about 12.5 feet
and
4MP at the same aspect ratio will have an ID range between those - about 18-19 feet to the 100 ppf.

Changing the H FOV will change the ID distance in the following way
45 degrees will 2x the ID distance
widening it will reduce the ID distance. ( if it gets too wide you start to see distortion which then makes it challenging to actually get good pixels across the entire FOV range.. so while a 180 H FOV in theory gives you 12.5 feet for a 8MP / 4K UHD - the pixels are really more messed up than the basic math suggests and you'd need more complex math to really cover that better )

DannyLu

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hik looks like a 2.8mm lens, which provides a wider FOV than what you see in the reolink which accounts for some of the pixel density loss you see when viewing objects in a distance.
I thought this also, it’s a bigger FOV than the Reolink . But I definitely purchased a 4mm version.