Complete Newbie. Forgive me!

OIFVetWife

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I'm a wife and mom (with a fair bit of tech experience, but NONE with security cameras and systems).

I am in the process of setting up a wireless IP-based camera system for our home (and on a budget).

I've been researching and purchasing components a bit at a time. (And please know, I'm aware it would be easier to buy more... well... "Name brand" components but am trying to meet our household needs and stick to the budget so I'm spending a lot of time on eBay, etc).

So, we have an NVR that (according to the MFR) is "ONVIF 2.0 Compliant". I've emailed them to find out what version of ONVIF (I honestly, despite my research didn't realize how many versions there are until the last few days).

The cameras I just ordered are ONVIF 2.4.2.

I'm now completely confused (and a bit worried I've wasted time, money, etc, if they don't work) about whether or not these versions of ONVIF can talk to each other.

Here are the links with details about the different components:

NVR -

HD-NVR-PRO16: http://hdview360.com/shop/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=3

CAMERAS -

SP007 (from SRICAM): http://www.sricctv.com/en/products/onvifipcamera/Onvif_IP_Camera_SP007.html

SP008 (from SRICAM): http://www.sricctv.com/en/products/onvifipcamera/Onvif_PTZ_IP_Camera_SP008.html

Again, please forgive me if these are incredibly dumb questions! And thank you for any insight or advice!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@OIFVetWifeWelcome to the forum. The NVR appears to be a Dahua rebranded NVR which is good, though I hope you did not overpay. That model is overkill for your situation.
On the other hand, the cameras are junk. Sricam is bottom of the barrel. You should return them. Wifi is problematic and you should consider paying someone to run cable. Its not that expensive. Dont be penny wise and pound foolish.
Understand that onvif is not a perfect standard and the cameras advanced functions like motion detection. You can buy dahua cameras for under 100 dollars.
EDIT: I see there is an ebay auction selling the NVR for 100 dollars.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-NVR-PRO16-16-Channel-2U-Network-Video-Recorder-/281826904096?hash=item419e314820:g:8YkAAOSw9mFWHAtf
That is a steal of a price, however, I question whether you will ever get it as the seller has zero feedback. That unit normally sells for 700+ dollars (though the specs say its limited to 1080p cameras, the newer dahua units that look like that can record 5mp)...

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

OIFVetWife

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you!

ok, I will look into other camera options. I had watched user videos, etc, (not those by SRICAM) which had decent things to say. But you make a good point, so I will do more research!

Also, I've messaged both through eBay and then tracked down the NVR resellers website and sent a separate email with questions through it I was trying to offset the risk of using a new eBay-er as much as possible, but you're right I will be on alert to see how the transaction goes. In planning the system, we eventually want 10 cameras. So 16CH NVR... But if you have any experience / recommendations (and have time!), I welcome them.

Lastly, probably an incredibly dumb question... But we have only ever had installers from the phone company install lines (setting up new service, etc). If I was going to hire someone independent to run the wires, would it just be an electrician?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you!

ok, I will look into other camera options. I had watched user videos, etc, (not those by SRICAM) which had decent things to say. But you make a good point, so I will do more research!

Also, I've messaged both through eBay and then tracked down the NVR resellers website and sent a separate email with questions through it I was trying to offset the risk of using a new eBay-er as much as possible, but you're right I will be on alert to see how the transaction goes. In planning the system, we eventually want 10 cameras. So 16CH NVR... But if you have any experience / recommendations (and have time!), I welcome them.

Lastly, probably an incredibly dumb question... But we have only ever had installers from the phone company install lines (setting up new service, etc). If I was going to hire someone independent to run the wires, would it just be an electrician?
If the NVR does not pan out. I would recommend contacting nellys security who is a site sponsor (they have a 5% coupon available for ipcamtalk members) . Using a known reputable seller who will provides support is particularly important for a novice.
If you intend to have 10 HD cams then wifi is completely out of the question.
As far as running cable, you would look for low voltage installers (phone guys) or electricians... Expertise varies greatly so make sure you cover how you want cables run (in walls not exposed) etc...Also make sure they use good quality cable and not copper clad aluminum (CCA) which is much cheaper but junk and could cause problems...

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
From your username I assume you or your husband is a vet. Thank you so much and welcome to the forum, you will find the folks here to be very nice and helpful.

OIFVetWife

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I promise I have been researching and trying to learn on my own.... But you've given me so much "nitty gritty" info today! And I'm feeling much less overwhelmed. Anyway, thank you!

OIFVetWife

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you! Yes, he is. He enlisted following 9/11 and served 2 tours in Iraq. I will certainly pass your kind words along!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I promise I have been researching and trying to learn on my own.... But you've given me so much "nitty gritty" info today! And I'm feeling much less overwhelmed. Anyway, thank you!
Another way to go depending on your budget, is to look at a system from costco. For example, this system goes on sale for 1299...(sale just ended, but will likely be on sale again soon)
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html
You get everything you need, plus costco's unlimited return policy, so you can return it 5 years down the road if something goes wrong.
That system is also a rebranded dahua system.

gasu

n3wb
Reaction score
Another way to go depending on your budget, is to look at a system from costco. For example, this system goes on sale for 1299...(sale just ended, but will likely be on sale again soon)
http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-3TB-HDD,-8-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100213199.html
You get everything you need, plus costco's unlimited return policy, so you can return it 5 years down the road if something goes wrong.
That system is also a rebranded dahua system.
I bought the Costco System. Does the system come with CCA or Copper cables? If CCA, should I buy Cat 6 or Cat5e Copper cables?